Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Does SIN card really take up to 4 weeks?

Does SIN card really take up to 4 weeks?

Old Mar 9th 2005, 10:51 pm
Happy Canadian PR

ozinca will become famous soon enoughozinca will become famous soon enough
Default Does SIN card really take up to 4 weeks?

Hello Everyone,

I 'landed' as a PR yesterday and everything went really well. I applied for my SIN card this morning and was told that it will take between 3 to 4 weeks for it to arrive in the mail. I don't have a job offer yet, but was hoping to have something organised by the end of next week, but if I can't work until the SIN card arrives, then I feel kind of stuck. Is it possible to quicken the process? If I get a job ofer next week, will a letter from an employer help? The lady at Human Resources said no. I have been in Canada on a visitor only visa before becoming a PR and am just busting to get back to work. I live in Ontario.

Ozinca
Old Mar 9th 2005, 10:55 pm
Forum Regular

moving is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Does SIN card really take up to 4 weeks?

Hye Ozinca,

Welcome to Canada. Firstly the SIN card takes about 3-4 weeks.

More important, you can work without a SIN card in the sense that you have to apply immediately and if you are offered a job you have to show your employer proof that you have indeed applied for ur SIN card. ONce you get the number, u need to inform ur employer ofcourse.

All the best. PM me if u need anymore info.

Originally Posted by ozinca
Hello Everyone,

I 'landed' as a PR yesterday and everything went really well. I applied for my SIN card this morning and was told that it will take between 3 to 4 weeks for it to arrive in the mail. I don't have a job offer yet, but was hoping to have something organised by the end of next week, but if I can't work until the SIN card arrives, then I feel kind of stuck. Is it possible to quicken the process? If I get a job ofer next week, will a letter from an employer help? The lady at Human Resources said no. I have been in Canada on a visitor only visa before becoming a PR and am just busting to get back to work. I live in Ontario.

Ozinca
Old Mar 9th 2005, 11:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

Hello Everyone,

Ozinca
Hello! lucky you applying for your SIN card. Don't fret tho, as it is in most instances when you find that job that they will wait it out. As most employers understand these things. (as you probably know).
I love your enthusiasm and it helps mine along. I am no where near where you are in the PR stakes, but i pray it will come fast.

Enjoy~
Old Mar 9th 2005, 11:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

i just spotted this in the immigration section..some very interesting info you may want to view..

Follow-up 2 Vancouver Landing Experience

that is the thread to look for *S*
Old Mar 10th 2005, 12:01 am
Happy Canadian PR

Originally Posted by moving
Hye Ozinca,

Welcome to Canada. Firstly the SIN card takes about 3-4 weeks.

More important, you can work without a SIN card in the sense that you have to apply immediately and if you are offered a job you have to show your employer proof that you have indeed applied for ur SIN card. ONce you get the number, u need to inform ur employer ofcourse.

All the best. PM me if u need anymore info.
Thank you moving.

Just had dinner with my partner and his famiily and he said the same thing. I think the lady at Human Resources confused me this morning.

She told me that it takes 3 to 4 weeks to get a SIN card. She told me to have one done quickly you have bring a letter of employment from your employer otherwise you have to wait. This is all true however, I don't understand why she would say that if all I need to show an employer is proof that I actually applied for the card. The mind boggles.

Thank you for clearing that up for me. This week gets better and better.

Ozinca
Old Mar 10th 2005, 12:15 am
Happy Canadian PR

Originally Posted by Maple Leaf
i just spotted this in the immigration section..some very interesting info you may want to view..

Follow-up 2 Vancouver Landing Experience

that is the thread to look for *S*
Thank you Maple Leaf, those phone numbers in that post are helpful. It seems though, that I can actually work now and will just need to show an employer the receipt from Human Resources as proof that I applied for the SIN and I will give them the number when I receive the card. Much easier than I thought this morning.

Thank you for all your good wishes, it really makes me smile to read your posts. This PR process is a tough one on all of us, and you deserve the best of luck.

Ozinca
Old Mar 10th 2005, 12:18 am
Invisi... K

ksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Everyone,

Ozinca
not sure for the other provinces, but here in quebec you can call up and ask for your sin number over the phone about 3-4working days after submission... i would expect other provinces to be the same/similar
Old Mar 10th 2005, 1:30 am
Glaswegian

Thank you moving.

Just had dinner with my partner and his famiily and he said the same thing. I think the lady at Human Resources confused me this morning.

She told me that it takes 3 to 4 weeks to get a SIN card. She told me to have one done quickly you have bring a letter of employment from your employer otherwise you have to wait. This is all true however, I don't understand why she would say that if all I need to show an employer is proof that I actually applied for the card. The mind boggles.

Thank you for clearing that up for me. This week gets better and better.

Ozinca
Presumably because although employers know the law they have been known to reject potential employees until they have the actual card..... shown frequently in old threads.

Mrs G

Old Mar 10th 2005, 1:38 am
Forum Regular

yorkiebar99 is on a distinguished road

my husband was given his sin number the day after he landed. We went to the office, he filled in a form and then he told them that he wanted to start work that week so the guy gave him his sin. he didn't even have a job lined up at the time. This was in Quebec though.....could it be that we've actually found something that the Quebec govt actually processes efficiently and sensibly....oh no. hrdc....thats federal. oh well.....

Hello Everyone,

Ozinca
Old Mar 10th 2005, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

stephenbottcher is an unknown quantity at this point

Same for Ontario: apply on Thursday, phone in on Monday to get your number, the actual SIN card takes longer. As stated before, the confirmation of application for SIN (stamped and initialed) is usually enough for current or prospective employers. I came on a work permit and started work without a SIN at hand, handed the number in later which caused no trouble at all. As I said: this applies to Ontario.

Stephen

Originally Posted by ksct97
not sure for the other provinces, but here in quebec you can call up and ask for your sin number over the phone about 3-4working days after submission... i would expect other provinces to be the same/similar