Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Does Canada = Utopia?

Does Canada = Utopia?

Old Feb 3rd 2010, 3:36 am
Just Joined

BenNv is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Does Canada = Utopia?

Hey there! I just want to get a opinion from brits living in Canada if it's really the Utopia it seems to be! I moved to America 5 years ago and go to Canada often on business and i'm always stunned at how much of Canada is nicer than the states despite the obvious similarities! Thanks guys
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 4:00 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does Canada = Utopia?

and try using the search.... if you can't be arsed to do that come back in a few days and see the 20 page mega-thread that you may have started. Personally I hope not.
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 4:41 am
Just Joined

BenNv is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok thanks lol
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 5:05 am
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Yes Utopia is where the Americans aint.
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 5:44 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BenNv
Hey there! I just want to get a opinion from brits living in Canada if it's really the Utopia it seems to be! I moved to America 5 years ago and go to Canada often on business and i'm always stunned at how much of Canada is nicer than the states despite the obvious similarities! Thanks guys
Bottom line, the US is a shithole, full of shithoes and Canada is only marginally better. Less jobs, but not quite as full of shitholes.
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 6:29 am
BE Enthusiast

snowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud of

its about the same, just more expensive and colder. One of the differences that amuses me, is that wal-mart doesnt seem to do fresh produce in canada.

there may be marginally less gun crime, but a utopia it is not

where do you go on business trips??
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 6:49 am
Forum Regular

kirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to all

Originally Posted by snowshoveller
its about the same, just more expensive and colder. One of the differences that amuses me, is that wal-mart doesnt seem to do fresh produce in canada.

there may be marginally less gun crime, but a utopia it is not

where do you go on business trips??
the 2 walmarts near us do .. One for a while now and the other as of about a month ago... Walmarts taking over the world
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 7:04 am
BE Enthusiast

snowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by kirstya
the 2 walmarts near us do .. One for a while now and the other as of about a month ago... Walmarts taking over the world
Ah you are in healthy BC, I have never seen fruit and veg in a wal-mart in manitoba or alberta
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

GeDe will become famous soon enoughGeDe will become famous soon enough

we stayed in Alberta last year for 3 months and loads of Walmarts had fresh veg and fruit sections, plus a large selection of crazy people
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 10:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GeDe
we stayed in Alberta last year for 3 months and loads of Walmarts had fresh veg and fruit sections, plus a large selection of crazy people
must be spreading east, I was in AB 2 years ago - mind you i was out in the boonies rather than Calgary village
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 11:02 am
Banned

bsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond repute

...Surely you can find plenty of Canadians to ask? Most of them spend all their vacation (and their kid's college money) in your town.
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 11:26 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Compared to Las Vegas, pretty much anywhere is utopia. I hated the place with a passion.
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 12:10 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I can't tell the US and Canada apart. What would you say are the major differences between average life in, say, Mississauaga ON and Plano TX?
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 12:43 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

What do you think is nicer? I guess the main differnce is that Canada has a more liberal outlook than much of the States, but again, that depends which bit of the US and which bit of Canada....Compared to Canada, California can look enlightened, but then the economies are totally different too.

Utopia? No, there are some issues, but on balance its a pretty nice place to live and raise kids, if you have a decent job/ income.

The main differences are climate and political landscape I would say, the material things are much the same, and the people as individuals are much the same, although perhaps Canadians as a group are more open to criticise their country, something Americans seem loath to do.(In public at least?)

Last edited by iaink; Feb 3rd 2010 at 1:26 pm.
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 1:13 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
The main differences are climate and political landscape I would say,
I don't think the climate varies very much between Maine and New Brunswick, Ohio and Ontario, Montana and ..., well you get the idea.

Canada has universal healthcare and gay marriage, I don't belittle those differences, but what else? Canada and the US are equally engaged in attempts to subjugate foreign populations, they both indulge religionists (Ontario and Utah stand out as rare places where religion and education are confused), they're both societies in which big business dominates the political agenda. Differences are subtle indeed.

Apart from the two above, I think the main difference is that in Canada the music industry is subject to government regulation and that results in some truly awful noises emerging from the radio.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.