Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Does anyone work in the music or gaming industry in the Vancouver area

Does anyone work in the music or gaming industry in the Vancouver area

Old Nov 20th 2016, 12:42 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat075 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Does anyone work in the music or gaming industry in the Vancouver area

Hello, I'm new to the forum, for a long time I've wanted to move to Canada and the past month or so I've been doing some extensive research and to also see whether I really would like it there, I've come to the conclusion I definitely want to move and specifically to Vancouver, everything I've read about it from all different perspectives including the good and the bad - it's definitely for me.

I wanted to know is there anywhere I can go to speak to someone to properly discuss my situation and likelyhood of aquiring a permant residency? Or other routes that would lead to that.

Im hoping I've got a pretty good shot, I'm 25, single, I have a degree and if I can move I'll have quite a lot of money saved up to support myself for at least a couple of months (if I didn't already have a job lined up).

Sorry if this has been asked before but I tried searching the forum and struggled to find anything.
Old Nov 20th 2016, 2:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Does anyone work in the music or gaming industry in the Vancouver area

The easiest way to get across and check things out for yourself is the IEC Canada programme. You basically get a work permit for 2 yrs to work anywhere in Canada. Depending what type of job you end up doing it could lead to PR status by then applying on the Canadian Experience Class or Provincial Nomination.

International Experience Canada – travel and work in Canada

Take it step by step you could hate Canada after 6 months.
Old Nov 20th 2016, 4:46 am
BE Enthusiast

evets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Does anyone work in the music or gaming industry in the Vancouver area

Firstly what line of work are you in, as that would make a big difference as too whether you could/can get a visa or even have someone want to employ you.

If you are unsure, then best bet talk with an immigration adviser, people can on these forums can only offer advice based on the information you provide. If you provide nothing about your background then only very little will be returned.

Since you are under 30, maybe consider a working holiday visa and then from there once in Canada see if you can can secure a full time job and someone to sponsor you.
Old Nov 20th 2016, 9:32 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pinnacle
Hello, I'm new to the forum, for a long time I've wanted to move to Canada and the past month or so I've been doing some extensive research and to also see whether I really would like it there, I've come to the conclusion I definitely want to move and specifically to Vancouver, everything I've read about it from all different perspectives including the good and the bad - it's definitely for me.
go with what was suggested in post#2

Why Canada & why Vancouver?

Since you have "a lot of money saved" have you considered coming over for a visit first before giving up what you have where you are at before making that 'leap of faith'? - the grass is not always greener

I wanted to know is there anywhere I can go to speak to someone to properly discuss my situation and likelyhood of aquiring a permant residency? Or other routes that would lead to that.
Ask away, post all of your questions to this thread & I'm sure folks will be able to answer any specifics
Old Nov 20th 2016, 11:17 am
Account Closed

Yeah I've been looking at IEC, have I missed the boat for the current IEC? I saw on a page I was on yesterday it said quota 5000, in the pool 5070.

Sorry for the minimal info! Currently I work as a digital manager at a record label, basically anything digital I deal with, graphic design, website design, product management, digital management with iTunes etc. I guess not the most normal job but I have a ton of other skills and I wouldn't be restricted to look for a job in that field. I'm also a professional drummer and thinking about looking for function band season work, there's a lot of work for function band contracts for ski season in the alps so I was going to look at the same but for Canada.

I'm looking at Vancouver as I love mountain biking and snowboarding and theres simply no better place in the world than there, I worked full time as a bike mechanic for a year and retail sales in a bike shop for a year so that's possibly another area I could look at.

One difficulty I've found is a lot of the work I do there isn't always a full time job available it's more contract based/self employed work from home stuff. my current job was just a bit of luck and over time changed into what I do now, technically if I moved to Canada I could still do this job as I can work remotely quite easily but from what I've gathered I need a Canadian job offer.
Old Nov 20th 2016, 11:33 am
Account Closed

Hi not2old, I've read so much about Vancouver and Canada in general and it just feels like I was born in the wrong country! Lol but seriously just they way people seem, the lifestyles, apparently Vancouver in particular has a laid back feel which suits me perfectly! And I love outdoor sports, I'm a very sporty person (extreme sports), I've done most over the years skateboarding, bmxing, mountain biking, snowboarding, surfing, mountain boarding, roller blading, I just love the adrenaline sports, and to live on the doorstep of one of the best places in the world for extreme sports is the dream. It's not just about the sports though, the scenery alone is enough to want to move there. It has always been a dream for many years to visit/move to Canada but hadn't seriously considered it until a few years ago and now the past few months doing actual research into it.

I'm planning on coming over for a week or so in a couple months time to get a feel of the place and figure some things out, I think getting a working holiday visa is the way to go to really make my mind up on whether to permanently move.

The IEC process, is there anything you can do to improve your chances of receiving an ITA?
Old Nov 20th 2016, 11:51 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

It's a nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there, can't really stand that west coast health nut lifestyle. Good luck with it anyway, and welcome to the forum.
Old Nov 20th 2016, 2:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

OK for the 2017 IEC there are 5000 spots. There are currently 5070 in the pool waiting to get the Invitation To Attend. That does not mean all spots will be gone if you apply now as some will decline. Last year those with 7000 plus numbers got invitation to apply. Some will drop out or find they won't get an invite as they could be found inadmissible.
I suggest you apply ASAP as the invitation rounds have not yet opened.

Rounds of invitations – International Experience Canada

Don't worry about getting PR at the moment as a multitude of things can happen between now and the end of a 2 year work permit. Focus on getting the IEC at the moment unless you get married to a Canadian or a PR of Canada.
Old Nov 20th 2016, 2:25 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

I'm planning on coming over for a week or so in a couple months time to get a feel of the place and figure some things out,

Good first step, then take it from there

Prior to your trip over you may want to consider posting more specific Q&A about anything Vancouver questions for those that live in & around the place you are intending on being for suggestions of places to stay, eat, see, maybe visit a few job agencies when you are over

Possibly begin now look at websites to know more about the cost of living & accommodation costs

Good luck to you
Old Nov 20th 2016, 4:30 pm
Account Closed

Ah I see I didn't think of it like that, thought they might only accept up to the quota. I've got a few things still to work out before I apply for one, I think I'd be ok if I missed the window for 2017, gives me more time to save and sort things out.

Haven't had a chance to look yet but do you know roughly how much a week/10 day visit would cost? I'd prob try get a last minute deal to keep costs down on flights and not do too much touristy things (though I may not be able to resist the temptation to go snowboarding!)

Think I now have some other questions more specific to people in Vancouver but I'll post a new thread for those.

Thanks for the advise so far! Nice to be part of a forum with people that actually care and want to help!
Old Nov 20th 2016, 4:40 pm
Dichotomus tinker

Think I now have some other questions more specific to people in Vancouver but I'll post a new thread for those.

Thanks for the advise so far! Nice to be part of a forum with people that actually care and want to help!
I'd like to suggest that you keep all of your Canada/Vancouver questions to this thread because having mulitiple threads can get confusing sometimes. This way we know who you are & how it all relates to your getting to Canada questions
Old Nov 20th 2016, 5:16 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
It's a nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there, can't really stand that west coast health nut lifestyle. Good luck with it anyway, and welcome to the forum.
I loved Vancouver when I first arrived but as time as gone on and after a trip to The Maritimes, I've become more unhappy here.

To the OP, I understand about the mountains as I love snowboarding and that's what keeps me here at the moment but the city itself is nothing special. It's very expensive for housing and the vacancy rate for renting is 0.6% which means high demand.
Old Nov 20th 2016, 6:00 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by not2old
I'd like to suggest that you keep all of your Canada/Vancouver questions to this thread because having mulitiple threads can get confusing sometimes. This way we know who you are & how it all relates to your getting to Canada questions
I was just thinking the title of this thread may not be very relevant to the question.

Well one question I have at the moment, I work in the music business but I'm not 100% on the career path I intend to take, at my job I'm quite lucky and have been able to learn lots of different skills and new job roles but I don't have a set thing I want to pursue, im also very interested in the gaming industry and maybe moving towards that over time.

Is there anyone on this forum living in or around Vancouver and works in the music industry or gaming industry? I'd like to know what people think of these industries in the area, job availability etc, I know these industries can often be more who you know to get the jobs. Also whether these industries are growing in this area, I've read that Vancouver was largest hub for game development in Canada (Toronto and Montreal closing the gap), EA have one of the biggest game studios in the world in burnaby.
Old Nov 20th 2016, 6:30 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

...I worked full time as a bike mechanic for a year...
Any chance you could stop by the east coast on your way and fit some new brakes for me? The bike shop I used to use closed a couple of years ago and it's not the sort of thing I can do.
Old Nov 20th 2016, 7:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Any chance you could stop by the east coast on your way and fit some new brakes for me? The bike shop I used to use closed a couple of years ago and it's not the sort of thing I can do.
Was it Bungay's or another one?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.