Does anyone work in a bank in Canada

Wikiposts

Does anyone work in a bank in Canada

Old Aug 10th 2008, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

rachel38 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Does anyone work in a bank in Canada

Hi

Quite new to forum, presently trying to find a job in branch banking and have applied for loads with no luck so far, just wondered if there were any BE members that work for any banks anywhere in canada that could give me some help or advice!

Appreciate any replies
Old Aug 10th 2008, 11:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

pennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does anyone work in a bank in Canada

Not personally,

but Steve of 05 (I thik thats his user name). His wife does.
You could look him up on the member list and send an email maybe.
Old Aug 11th 2008, 3:44 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rachel38
Hi

Quite new to forum, presently trying to find a job in branch banking and have applied for loads with no luck so far, just wondered if there were any BE members that work for any banks anywhere in canada that could give me some help or advice!

Appreciate any replies
I THINK Mandymoochops does
Old Aug 11th 2008, 4:10 am
Forum Regular

leecyndisanders is an unknown quantity at this point

Mother-in-Law works for a Credit Union. (Ab)
Old Aug 11th 2008, 7:04 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by pennyhp
Not personally,

but Steve of 05 (I thik thats his user name). His wife does.
You could look him up on the member list and send an email maybe.
Thanks will email him tonight.
Old Aug 11th 2008, 7:05 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
I THINK Mandymoochops does
Will try Mandymoochops, thanks.
Old Aug 11th 2008, 7:07 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by leecyndisanders
Mother-in-Law works for a Credit Union. (Ab)
Which Credit Union? And has do you think that she would give me any tips or advice on getting a job there?
Old Aug 11th 2008, 7:27 am
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

I say this to everyone, but personally I think you're wasting your time by simply sending off emails/CV's. They must receive hundreds of those.

If you really want a job, get yourself booked on a flight and hit the pavements- handing out CV's/requesting interviews etc personally.

I tried emailing CVs out- i must have sent a hundred or so. I probably received replies from 5. In the end, I flew to Calgary for a week and came back with 2 written job offers and one tentative sign of interest. 8 months later, all our worldy posessions have been packed up today (and tomorrow) and we fly out in less than 2 weeks.
I'm sure some people get lucky and get interest/job offers without actually going over there, but they are few and far between.
Old Aug 11th 2008, 7:44 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jericho
I say this to everyone, but personally I think you're wasting your time by simply sending off emails/CV's. They must receive hundreds of those.

If you really want a job, get yourself booked on a flight and hit the pavements- handing out CV's/requesting interviews etc personally.

I tried emailing CVs out- i must have sent a hundred or so. I probably received replies from 5. In the end, I flew to Calgary for a week and came back with 2 written job offers and one tentative sign of interest. 8 months later, all our worldy posessions have been packed up today (and tomorrow) and we fly out in less than 2 weeks.
I'm sure some people get lucky and get interest/job offers without actually going over there, but they are few and far between.
Thanks for your reply and I agree that going over in person is better than a faceless cv, however I am reluctant to do that just yet as I am looking for a Branch Manager job in a Bank and I know from experience that the majority if not all banks use recruitment agents and this makes it a little difficult in getting interviews if you are only on a short visit, or I may be totally wrong and going at this the wrong way which this forum is being very helpful in gaining information and tips.

NB Very, very jealous you have managed to do the whole process in 8 months
what kind of job do you do (if you say work in a bank I will die!!!)
Old Aug 11th 2008, 7:51 am
Account Closed

Thanks for your reply and I agree that going over in person is better than a faceless cv, however I am reluctant to do that just yet as I am looking for a Branch Manager job in a Bank and I know from experience that the majority if not all banks use recruitment agents and this makes it a little difficult in getting interviews if you are only on a short visit, or I may be totally wrong and going at this the wrong way which this forum is being very helpful in gaining information and tips.

NB Very, very jealous you have managed to do the whole process in 8 months
what kind of job do you do (if you say work in a bank I will die!!!)
Haha not a million miles away- insurance.

How about contacting a couple of recruitment agencies to see if they'd be interested in putting you forward. Tell them you're going to be in the area on vacation on "whatever date", and would be available for interviews. That way, if you get any interviews lined up, you can book flights knowing it's worthwhile. Thats basically what I did. I flew over there with 2 interviews arranged. By the time I arrived, the recruitment consultant had arranged another 8, so my whole week was spent pretty much doing interviews....
Everyone I saw, I'd emailed with my CV months before but didnt get any replies.
Old Aug 11th 2008, 8:07 am
Forum Regular

Haha not a million miles away- insurance.

How about contacting a couple of recruitment agencies to see if they'd be interested in putting you forward. Tell them you're going to be in the area on vacation on "whatever date", and would be available for interviews. That way, if you get any interviews lined up, you can book flights knowing it's worthwhile. Thats basically what I did. I flew over there with 2 interviews arranged. By the time I arrived, the recruitment consultant had arranged another 8, so my whole week was spent pretty much doing interviews....
Everyone I saw, I'd emailed with my CV months before but didnt get any replies.
Mmmm very interesting, I am on the books of Hays that primarily recruits for one of the major banks over there and they have put me forward for a few jobs but have not got past that stage as yet, but it didn't occur to me to do what you did and set up interviews with the agencies beforehand.

We are planning a reccie trip early next year if not sooner and I will try this tact, what kind of job do you do in Insurance? and how long did you visa take to get and did the company you are going to work for have much experience in recruiting overseas applicants?

Sorry for all the questions!!
Old Aug 11th 2008, 9:14 am
Account Closed

Mmmm very interesting, I am on the books of Hays that primarily recruits for one of the major banks over there and they have put me forward for a few jobs but have not got past that stage as yet, but it didn't occur to me to do what you did and set up interviews with the agencies beforehand.

We are planning a reccie trip early next year if not sooner and I will try this tact, what kind of job do you do in Insurance? and how long did you visa take to get and did the company you are going to work for have much experience in recruiting overseas applicants?

I'm an underwriter in the Uk, but am moving in to a broking role.
I'm applying for the work permit at the airport, but the LMO took around 4 months. My employers have recruited foreign staff before so were somewhat familiar with the process, although they use a lawyer to sort it all out.
Cheers
Old Aug 11th 2008, 9:36 am
Forum Regular

bootlecat is an unknown quantity at this point

I think the issue here is that you aren't planning on coming over until next year. If you are really serious get on a plane and interview and job hunt over here with a view to being back in two months when the LMO and TWP are through.
Old Aug 11th 2008, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bootlecat
I think the issue here is that you aren't planning on coming over until next year. If you are really serious get on a plane and interview and job hunt over here with a view to being back in two months when the LMO and TWP are through.
Your right, but I am glad that I am finding out alot of the information sooner rather than later!!
Old Aug 11th 2008, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

I'm an underwriter in the Uk, but am moving in to a broking role.
I'm applying for the work permit at the airport, but the LMO took around 4 months. My employers have recruited foreign staff before so were somewhat familiar with the process, although they use a lawyer to sort it all out.
Cheers
Well best of luck Jericho with your adventure, I am pleased and somewhat buoyed that with a bit of leg work and luck that you can realise your dream fairly quickly.

All the best and thanks for the information.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.