Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Does anyone have an address in or around Fernie i can get my driving licence sent to?

Does anyone have an address in or around Fernie i can get my driving licence sent to?

Old Nov 21st 2012, 3:48 am
Forum Regular

jerseytocanada is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Does anyone have an address in or around Fernie i can get my driving licence sent to?

Does anyone have an address in or around Fernie i can get a BC driving licence sent to?

Thanks.

Mike.
Old Nov 21st 2012, 3:59 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does anyone have an address in or around Fernie i can get my driving licence sent

Originally Posted by jerseytocanada
Does anyone have an address in or around Fernie i can get a BC driving licence sent to?

Thanks.

Mike.
You need to use your own residential address. The address you use is printed on the license, if it is not your address the license is invalid.
Old Dec 10th 2012, 11:35 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: Does anyone have an address in or around Fernie i can get my driving licence sent

I am actually in Calgary and they don't recognise the Jersey licence.

The girl in the registry shop said i'd have to do my test again and this would mean me being a GDL or something for 2 years witch my insurance guy (my premiums more than double) and my boss aren't to happy about as it affects his van insurance.

I do know 2 others here from Jersey. 1 landed in Vancouver before coming to Calgary and said it was a strait swap. The other had to jump through hoops and the only reason he eventually got his licence was he had had a licence from England as a student/teenager but had to do some serious legwork to prove this.

I'd be happy to rent a room off someone for a month and get my BC licence sent there with a view to swap it for a Alberta one immediately.

I do wish i went to BC instead of here and have plans of moving in March/April once my 6 month lease is up.
Old Dec 11th 2012, 12:04 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Before NS had this straight swap reciprocal agreement thing, Brits used to drive to NB where they could do that and give the address of the hotel they were staying in for the night.
Then with their new NB licence they would drive back to NS and sway their NB licence for a NS licence.
Maybe you could do that instead?
Old Dec 11th 2012, 1:28 am
Forum Regular

I'm hoping to do something like that but need an address for them to send the licence to incase they don't issue it there and then.
Old Dec 11th 2012, 2:27 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

I'm hoping to do something like that but need an address for them to send the licence to incase they don't issue it there and then.
You won't get it there and then, it is sent in the mail. What you are trying to do is illegal (possibly fraud), it may invalidate any subsequent license issued on the BC license and put any insurance at risk. If you end up without insurance coverage and end up in a claim, this will really please your boss.
Old Dec 11th 2012, 3:58 am
Forum Regular

Thats why i need an address.

As i said i'm happy to rent a room for a month and stay there for a week over christmas or something.

As soon as i have the licence i'm planning to swap it for a Albertan one.
Old Dec 11th 2012, 2:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

would it not been easier to swap for a uk licence first.
but never mind you are comitting fraud and if you have an accident in the future you could be in the sht.
and posting this on a forum .....not good.
Old Dec 11th 2012, 3:14 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Thats why i need an address.

As i said i'm happy to rent a room for a month and stay there for a week over christmas or something.

As soon as i have the licence i'm planning to swap it for a Albertan one.
Your plan doesn't make you a resident of the province, therefore you have no entitlement to that province's driving licence. You're just trying to scam the system for your convenience.

You should know that ICBC monitors sites like this.
Old Dec 11th 2012, 3:20 pm
New Scotland Girl

alexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nice

The girl in the registry shop said i'd have to do my test again and this would mean me being a GDL or something for 2 years witch my insurance guy (my premiums more than double) and my boss aren't to happy about as it affects his van insurance.
I would verify this, my husband did the test in Nova Scotia before you could swap your license, and because he already had a valid license from the UK he did not have to go through the graduated license scheme - just had to take the written and road test.

According to the Alberta website, http://www.service-alberta.ca/1671.cfm - the same is true - as long as you have more than 2 years of driving history.
Old Dec 11th 2012, 4:35 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
You should know that ICBC monitors sites like this.
ICBC must be mighty bored. This double swap of the license seems to me to be just a faff to get around a technicality, no one's going to get prosecuted for fraud, no insurance company is going to use it to deny a claim, no one will care at all. The weak point, it seems to me, is the dependency on Canada Post, you could be renting a room for weeks if you need it until they can get a letter to right place.
Old Dec 11th 2012, 4:48 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
ICBC must be mighty bored. This double swap of the license seems to me to be just a faff to get around a technicality, no one's going to get prosecuted for fraud, no insurance company is going to use it to deny a claim, no one will care at all. The weak point, it seems to me, is the dependency on Canada Post, you could be renting a room for weeks if you need it until they can get a letter to right place.
I first moved to Saskatchewan, and was entitled to make a UK licence swap. Soon after I found a business/property in BC that suited my immigration purposes, so moved here, and swapped my Saskatchewan licence for a BC one. A month or so later I had a call from ICBC telling me my licence was being rescinded as I'd not fulfilled residency requirements in either province. At that time BC had no reciprocal agreement with the UK, so I was told I had no entitlement to a licence and would have to take the driving test. ICBC had tracked me via comments on here.
Old Dec 11th 2012, 5:05 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
ICBC had tracked me via comments on here.
How very strange. What a lot of people they'd have to employ to keep up with all of the internet even if they just searched for ICBC all day.
Old Dec 12th 2012, 12:28 am
Forum Regular

in the woods will become famous soon enough

why don't you use your boss's address as it would benefit him as well
Old Dec 12th 2012, 1:36 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by in the woods
why don't you use your boss's address as it would benefit him as well
Because he's in Calgary.

I think i'll just hold on as i'm planning a move to Vancouver in March once the lease on my apartments up.

I don't feel i would be doing anything wrong.

As a permanent resident of Canada i'm surly allowed to move to any province i want (BC) for whatever reason (to get a driving licence easily) and for however long i want (1 week).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.