Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

documented needed to come into canada from vacation

documented needed to come into canada from vacation

Old Oct 5th 2017, 11:52 am
Forum Regular

ShirleyEB has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyEB has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyEB has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyEB has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyEB has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyEB has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyEB has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyEB has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyEB has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyEB has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyEB has a reputation beyond repute
Default documented needed to come into canada from vacation

We are going home on Monday for our first holiday after being in Canada nearly a year. I know that when i come back we fill out a form on the plane & show passports etc to immigration person. (We have only done this as holidaymakers & on the last occasion we were getting temporary work permits issued as we were coming to live). I was wondering whether we need to bring the actual paper version of the Temporary Work Permit to show the officer when we return?

many thanks
Old Oct 5th 2017, 1:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Farmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: documented needed to come into canada from vacation

Good luck with your trip home Shirley!!
I will be interested to see the answers here as we will be in the same situation come December.

Speak soon

Regards

Farmboy
Old Oct 5th 2017, 1:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

suzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond repute

If you’re on TWP’s they should be stapled to the inside of your passports. That and a valid ETA are all you need to come and go.
My husband and I have been living in Calgary since January and he leaves the country once a month for work going all over. He just does as I’ve said above and he’s never had an issue.

Have fun!
Old Oct 5th 2017, 1:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

I have been asked to show it previously when crossing the border. To be on the safe side I would suggest you take the work permit with you.

Note: for some airports you no longer fill the customs declaration in on the plane. At some airports you know do it on an electronic kiosk (not unlike most check-in machines) when you arrive in the arrivals hall.
Old Oct 5th 2017, 2:34 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad
I have been asked to show it previously when crossing the border. To be on the safe side I would suggest you take the work permit with you.

Note: for some airports you no longer fill the customs declaration in on the plane. At some airports you know do it on an electronic kiosk (not unlike most check-in machines) when you arrive in the arrivals hall.
Not at St John's. Still customs form on the plane.
Old Oct 6th 2017, 5:12 am
Forum Regular

CanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
If your flying into any of the following airports:
Ottawa International Airport – YOW
Vancouver International Airport – YVR
Terminal 3, Toronto Pearson International Airport – YYZ
Edmonton International Airport – YEG

Everyone uses the new kiosks, you don't need to fill in the customs form (It won't even be handed out)

You can also use the new app (You only need one device) and it lets you fill out all the information before you land (and saves you a lot of time at the kiosk).
Old Oct 6th 2017, 2:11 pm
Forum Regular

ShirleyEB has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyEB has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyEB has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyEB has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyEB has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyEB has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyEB has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyEB has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyEB has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyEB has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyEB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Farmboy1892
Good luck with your trip home Shirley!!
I will be interested to see the answers here as we will be in the same situation come December.

Speak soon

Regards

Farmboy
thanks Farmboy- A few ulster fries will be consumed! I also hope to call into Stormont and sort the whole lot out lol
I'm sure you are all looking forward to seeing family and friends.
Old Oct 6th 2017, 2:14 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by suzeandmatt
If you’re on TWP’s they should be stapled to the inside of your passports. That and a valid ETA are all you need to come and go.
My husband and I have been living in Calgary since January and he leaves the country once a month for work going all over. He just does as I’ve said above and he’s never had an issue.

Have fun!
thanks Suzy and Matt for info. I was off the opinion we should take work permit- beterr to have and not need, as need and not have. -lots of fun will be had. I intend to eat, drink and be very merry. Sure I can detox on my return to Newfoundland!
Old Oct 6th 2017, 2:15 pm
Forum Regular

thanks engineer abroad. It's good to know so there shouldn't be any surprises.
Old Oct 6th 2017, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
still done the old way here then Atlantic Xpat! We will get that coffee rescheduled when I get back (stuffed to the gill full of sausages & then back to Paradise sobeys we go!)
Old Oct 6th 2017, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by CanadianSpruce

Everyone uses the new kiosks, you don't need to fill in the customs form (It won't even be handed out)

You can also use the new app (You only need one device) and it lets you fill out all the information before you land (and saves you a lot of time at the kiosk).
thanks Canadian Spruce- though St John's has to catch up on the technology!
Old Oct 6th 2017, 9:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadianSpruce

Note that you dont HAVE to use the kiosks. My wifes pr card would not scan and they reluctantly waved us through to a real cbsa agent who asked us the usual questions. They were fairly 'yeah those kiosks are flaky as hell' about it!
Old Oct 7th 2017, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
Note that you dont HAVE to use the kiosks. My wifes pr card would not scan and they reluctantly waved us through to a real cbsa agent who asked us the usual questions. They were fairly 'yeah those kiosks are flaky as hell' about it!
thanks Hurlabrick, but kiosks aren't even an option for us in Newfoundland, but good to know nonetheless
Old Oct 7th 2017, 10:10 pm
Forum Regular

CanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
Yeah they are a bit awkward to read the PR cards. picture has to be in the bottom right and face down. Some global entry and APC kiosks in the US (made by the same manufacturer) also have the same issue with US green cards.
Old Oct 10th 2017, 10:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

discoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond repute

I second this. My wife and I have been on TPW's since 2015. They didn't staple ours into our passports, but we always have to show the originals when we return from abroad. We are americans, usually cross by car at Lacolle / Lake Champlain coming back into Quebec from visiting family in the US.