Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Do it yourself dogs !!

Do it yourself dogs !!

Old Apr 6th 2009, 12:18 pm
Forum Regular

Jo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud of
Default Re: Do it yourself dogs !!

Originally Posted by blodeuwedd79
Thanks for that. Interesting because when I spoke to Cunard they told me the kennels were only available on the New York crossing. Maybe they have had alot of enquiries about people moving to Canada since then.
She never mentioned that, it's so difficult getting the right info i can only imagine if thats what they told you then that is correct, the lady i spoke to probably hadn't even checked the Canada route. Not sure about trains as would be usa train company and canadian company- good luck
Old Apr 6th 2009, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

blodeuwedd79 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Jo.Ru_onway
She never mentioned that, it's so difficult getting the right info i can only imagine if thats what they told you then that is correct, the lady i spoke to probably hadn't even checked the Canada route. Not sure about trains as would be usa train company and canadian company- good luck
Thanks, and to you.
Old Apr 6th 2009, 4:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Arris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 1chumly
If you go to BA Cargo website or one of the pet transportation companies, it will tell you how to measure for the correct size crate for your dog (or cat). It is VERY important that you measure correctly as I was told as I was checking in my dog in Miami to return to the UK that her crate was too small! Major panic! She could stand up and turn around easily with what we thought was room to spare but they didn't think she had quite enough headroom and refused to accept the crate and what they say goes. Luckily they had a huge wooden crate someone else left so we did a swap. With all the stress you are going through anyway, trust me, you don't want this to happen to you. Also important is to make sure it is an airline approved crate, not all of them are.

Good luck.
Originally Posted by Co-Writer
Hi Arris,

Sorry for not getting back sooner, a border will fit nicely into a medium Vari-Kennel, the dimensions are 28 x 20.5 x 21.5 (inches) and the weight is 6kg. All but a monster Border will fit in this happily.

In fact the adult I sent over last week I sent in a very slightly smaller one as it was the older type.....no problems.

Hope this helps.
Thank you both - very helpful
Old Apr 7th 2009, 3:44 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by singingringingtree
Do you mind me asking how you found it landing at Vancouver with the dogs? Were you acutally 'landing' as well? The animal reception centre seems to be miles away - just wondering how long whole process took and how it all worked out transport-wise with dog crates and luggage.

We've been advised to get cats sent out day or two after us because of set-up at Van and wondered if this is necessary.
Hi - we were on same flight as dogs - delayed for an hour!! when we landed - went thru customs, got luggage then went thru immigration - paid there for dogs who were ion the other room, being checked - but couldnt take them - they were then trucked over to Cargo - we came out - got rental then drove to cargo and got them - about 2am by this point! You need to talk to air transat cargo cos if you ring AT passengers they have no idea that they take dogs!
Old Apr 7th 2009, 8:39 am
finally together...

__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute

oh no, dilemma then, i hate to sail ( really really sick sorry if TMI) but £2,500 for the dog and £3,500+ for a container with all our stuff, plus flights... versus the cost of a cruise ( which dh will love)

hmmm. just wonder if i can get my 8ft electric recliner 3 seater sofa on board as handluggage...?
Old Apr 7th 2009, 12:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Arris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by __TJ__
oh no, dilemma then, i hate to sail ( really really sick sorry if TMI) but £2,500 for the dog and £3,500+ for a container with all our stuff, plus flights... versus the cost of a cruise ( which dh will love)

hmmm. just wonder if i can get my 8ft electric recliner 3 seater sofa on board as handluggage...?
Or, you could always put your dog in the container

(for those lacking a sense of humour - the above comment from myself is a JOKE )
Old Apr 7th 2009, 4:03 pm
finally together...

__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute

*snort*

the kids, i might consider it, but my dog would get a seat on the plane if i could my lab
Old Apr 7th 2009, 5:32 pm
Forum Regular

Jo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by __TJ__
*snort*

the kids, i might consider it, but my dog would get a seat on the plane if i could my lab
So would mine - if only they were allowed - i'm sure they'd be better behaved than some kids !
Old Apr 7th 2009, 5:54 pm
Forum Regular

kittsrush has a brilliant futurekittsrush has a brilliant futurekittsrush has a brilliant futurekittsrush has a brilliant futurekittsrush has a brilliant futurekittsrush has a brilliant futurekittsrush has a brilliant future

Hi
I brought out my 2 labs Dec 06 and it was not cheap, and i only paid for the flight did everything else myself (zoom airlines though). Just one thing to remember you also have to pay a fee when you pick them up once in canada as well.

Good Luck
Old Apr 7th 2009, 7:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

debbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of light

in the process of getting quotes for our two labs now lol, so this thread has been entertaining.

Air Canada used to do an 'excess baggage' service for accompanied pets, which worked out much cheaper than the cargo service, but you obviously have to be on the same flight. Unfortunately the dates we need to travel are excluded for this option into Calgary... too many tourists or something...

Will let you know if anything useful comes up in our quotes.... as we've gone to some other companies...
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

Lyn_and_John is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Louisecooke
I was told a couple of weeks ago that Air Transat aren't flying dogs at all any more. It's very confusing all this. The only option really left is BA or AC,both of which are extortionate. Like the cruise idea though!
Air transat no longer transporting dogs? has anyone found out whether this is actually the case? we are planning to fly our dog from manchester to toronto shortly!
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 9:59 pm
Forum Regular

kittsrush has a brilliant futurekittsrush has a brilliant futurekittsrush has a brilliant futurekittsrush has a brilliant futurekittsrush has a brilliant futurekittsrush has a brilliant futurekittsrush has a brilliant future

Hi
when we moved to Calgary in Dec 06 with our 2 labs, we used Zoom airlines, ok i know they are not in business anymore, I did most of the work just used a agency to book there flights , dont forget they will need to see the vet to make sure they are fit to travel a few days before. I got my dog cargo cages myself from a local company and saved a forturn rather than going to a pet store. Not sure where you are from but if in the north i can find out the name of the company that i got the cages off they are really good and excellent sizes, i even put a blanket in each one with one toy just so they felt a little less stressed.

One thing to make sure of is give them a drink and walk them just before you hand them over to the airport officals I found that my dogs was a little de-hydrated when they arrrived in Calgary.

I did ring air canada and at the time they was allowing pets to fly a little bit more expensive but very very helpful. Air Transat I think also do allow pets on flights
Good luck PM me if you need any more help

Elaine
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 3:08 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lyn_and_John
Air transat no longer transporting dogs? has anyone found out whether this is actually the case? we are planning to fly our dog from manchester to toronto shortly!
you need to contact the cargo arm cos if you ring Air transatt they say no dogs!! all v convuluted!!
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 5:44 am
Forum Regular

m4mm4l is just really nicem4mm4l is just really nicem4mm4l is just really nicem4mm4l is just really nicem4mm4l is just really nicem4mm4l is just really nicem4mm4l is just really nicem4mm4l is just really nice

Originally Posted by debbiem
in the process of getting quotes for our two labs now lol, so this thread has been entertaining.

Air Canada used to do an 'excess baggage' service for accompanied pets, which worked out much cheaper than the cargo service, but you obviously have to be on the same flight. Unfortunately the dates we need to travel are excluded for this option into Calgary... too many tourists or something...

Will let you know if anything useful comes up in our quotes.... as we've gone to some other companies...
Hello,
We're flying our 3 Labs to Toronto on the first week in September, we're going with Petsawayuk.co.uk, the website isnt up to much but the price and customer service is first class. Dave from Petsaway was excellent with advice and the price was £500 less than anyone else.

Good luck with your own pets..
Chris
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 5:46 am
Forum Regular

m4mm4l is just really nicem4mm4l is just really nicem4mm4l is just really nicem4mm4l is just really nicem4mm4l is just really nicem4mm4l is just really nicem4mm4l is just really nicem4mm4l is just really nice

Originally Posted by Lyn_and_John
we're flying out 3 from manchester to toronto pearson, give Dave at Petsaway a call, been very good with us..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.