Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Do we really need temp health insurance??

Do we really need temp health insurance??

Old Dec 17th 2013, 10:00 am
Just Joined

MartinandClaire is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do we really need temp health insurance??

Hello...!

My hubby and I are flying out to Calgary next month. I am on a study permit and hubby temp work permit.

My immigration consultant has advised I should register with my college asap for health insurance. After research I see we can also register for Alberta health insurance and this will run from the date we land.

Because of this could someone please tell me, do we actually need to purchase temp health insurance?!

Also I assume we would need to find temp accommodation asap as a Canadian address would be needed to apply for the insurance??

Thank you in advance for you help

PS: I am aware we need to be registered within the first 3 months of arriving in Calgary
Old Dec 17th 2013, 1:53 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do we really need temp health insurance??

OP....unless you are clairvoyant and can tell that nothing will happen to you and your hubby, then by all means to take out health insurance. If you don't have magical powers, then get the coverage for a peace of mind

You can get a private mail box at a local post office to use as your temp address. Local shopper's drugmart (pharmacy / store) also have a post office in them
Old Dec 17th 2013, 2:13 pm
Curiously Wise

Jingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinandClaire
Hello...!

My hubby and I are flying out to Calgary next month. I am on a study permit and hubby temp work permit.

My immigration consultant has advised I should register with my college asap for health insurance. After research I see we can also register for Alberta health insurance and this will run from the date we land.

Because of this could someone please tell me, do we actually need to purchase temp health insurance?!

Also I assume we would need to find temp accommodation asap as a Canadian address would be needed to apply for the insurance??

Thank you in advance for you help

PS: I am aware we need to be registered within the first 3 months of arriving in Calgary
Hi Claire .... Will you be studying at U of C? J
Old Dec 17th 2013, 2:25 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinandClaire
Hello...!

in addition to what the other posters have commented

if its U of C

https://www.mystudentplan.ca/uofcalgary

Athabasca University

http://www.ausu.org/services/healthinsurance.php

Mount Royal

http://www.samru.ca/supportservices/...entalbenefits/

if its SAIT

http://www.mystudentplan.ca/sait/mybenefits-at-a-glance

if its Bow Valley

http://international.bowvalleycolleg...ical-insurance

Last edited by not2old; Dec 17th 2013 at 2:31 pm.
Old Dec 17th 2013, 2:52 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

University health plans are like employer plans, they are extended health and do not cover basics, this kicks in for many things AHCIP won't cover, such as dental and prescriptions. If the cost is not too exorbitant, not a bad idea to have the coverage, unless you can afford these things yourself. AHCIP covers basics only http://www.health.alberta.ca/AHCIP/what-is-covered.html

AHCIP is usually effective immediately, so longs as you register in the first three months of arrival and meet the eligibility requirements.http://www.health.alberta.ca/documen...re-AHC0009.pdf

To register you would require a physical address, a PO box would not be accepted for medical plan registration. The address of your hotel would suffice if that is where you are staying and you can update it when you have somewhere more permanent.

Last edited by Aviator; Dec 17th 2013 at 2:59 pm.
Old Dec 17th 2013, 3:44 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

If you have your mail delievered to a local shoppers drugmart, it's the physical address of the shop that you get to use as your mailbox address
Old Dec 17th 2013, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

AlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond repute

Although you may immediately be covered, hospitals expect to see that card before they'll treat you, otherwise they make you pay up-front. We had this issue when our son decided to fall off monkey bars in the ice. Even though we were immediately eligible they wouldn't accept that, nor would they allow us to have him treated first & then pay if our health cover was turned down. They wanted $800 just to look at him!

As others have said, you never know and you would only need it until your card arrived.
Old Dec 17th 2013, 8:03 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ultrarunner
If you have your mail delievered to a local shoppers drugmart, it's the physical address of the shop that you get to use as your mailbox address
Everywhere has a physical address. A box at a post office or drug store is not a physical address for healthcare, as soon as you put a box number in the address that would cause rejection. This is the case for medical, drivers license etc.

A hotel has a physical address, so long as the hotel name is not one the address, likely it would be accepted, alternatively use an address of a friend or colleague.
Old Dec 17th 2013, 8:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
Everywhere has a physical address. A box at a post office or drug store is not a physical address for healthcare, as soon as you put a box number in the address that would cause rejection. This is the case for medical, drivers license etc.
That may be the case in BC but is not the case in Alberta. It can't be as I live rurally and I only have a post box address. All of my "official" documents show this address, including my Operator's Licence.
Old Dec 17th 2013, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
That may be the case in BC but is not the case in Alberta. It can't be as I live rurally and I only have a post box address. All of my "official" documents show this address, including my Operator's Licence.
I stand corrected.
Old Dec 18th 2013, 4:06 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

other than the hotel address, maybe something along the lines UR mentioned that its an actual address & not a PO box number

http://theupsstore.ca/services/mailboxes/

http://theupsstore.ca/store-finder/

With The UPS Store mail forwarding service, you can get a mailbox with a real street address and secure 24-hour access* to mail and package deliveries. We can forward your mail to you, anywhere you are. If you have a mobile business or work from home, a The UPS Store mailbox address gives you a professional storefront and makes it easier for your customers to stay in touch.
Old Dec 18th 2013, 4:29 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Aviator
I stand corrected.
Now that is a first...that couldn't have been easy for you?

Last edited by ultrarunner; Dec 18th 2013 at 4:37 pm.
Old Dec 18th 2013, 4:35 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Now that is first...that couldn't have been easy for you?
It would only be surprising if he said he stood corrected by you.
Old Dec 18th 2013, 6:17 pm
Forum Regular

Adrian12 is a splendid one to beholdAdrian12 is a splendid one to beholdAdrian12 is a splendid one to beholdAdrian12 is a splendid one to beholdAdrian12 is a splendid one to beholdAdrian12 is a splendid one to beholdAdrian12 is a splendid one to beholdAdrian12 is a splendid one to beholdAdrian12 is a splendid one to beholdAdrian12 is a splendid one to beholdAdrian12 is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=MartinandClaire;11041067]Hello...!

Yes
Old Dec 18th 2013, 6:33 pm

Now that is a first...that couldn't have been easy for you?
Why?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.