British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Do we need travel insurance for a holiday back to the UK? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/do-we-need-travel-insurance-holiday-back-uk-797531/)

Jerseygirl May 23rd 2013 4:50 pm

Re: Do we need travel insurance for a holiday back to the UK?

Originally Posted by lifeisajourney (Post 10715458)
We're a family of four. All have British passports, have been in Canada for 6 years now and are permanent residents of Canada. When we go back to England for a 2 week holiday do we need travel insurance to cover us for medical purposes? I've been hearing on the news recently about the NHS trying to clamp down on health tourists and it got me thinking.
I need to check but I think our HSBC premier credit card that we booked the flights on covers us to a certain extent for lost luggage, delays etc.

Thanks in advance.

Yes as you are no longer entitled to use the NHS.

Originally Posted by orly (Post 10721481)
Do you all have national insurance cards?

Why...what difference does it make?

BTJ May 23rd 2013 6:03 pm

I have relatives who moved to Canada in the 60's and have traveled back to the UK on Canadian passports and had no problem accessing healthcare. They are British citizens by birth and the NHS rarely if ever makes a distinction despite stating otherwise.

There was a program on Channel 4 a few weeks back about how the NHS would check you eligibility for free healthcare. Interestingly the charge for a normal vaginal birth was £1,800, which is roughly 20% of the cost in the US from what I've read.

Beaverquest May 23rd 2013 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by BTJ (Post 10721581)
There was a program on Channel 4 a few weeks back about how the NHS would check you eligibility for free healthcare. Interestingly the charge for a normal vaginal birth was £1,800, which is roughly 20% of the cost in the US from what I've read.

normal birth or c-section ; is there any other type

am not up to speed on these things

are the NHS exploring other orifices these days ?

bats May 23rd 2013 6:32 pm

I have relatives who moved to Canada in the 60's and have traveled back to the UK on Canadian passports and had no problem accessing healthcare. They are British citizens by birth and the NHS rarely if ever makes a distinction despite stating otherwise.

Well they should. A non resident is only entitled to emergency care in AE, once admitted they could be billed for everything after that.

bats May 23rd 2013 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by Beaverquest (Post 10721615)
normal birth or c-section ; is there any other type

am not up to speed on these things

are the NHS exploring other orifices these days ?

I think the word normsl was used in the sense of uncomplicated.

glenlivet May 23rd 2013 6:55 pm

If you have a relatives' address you can use when you're visiting, how would the NHS ever know you're not entitled unless you tell them. Does anyone really think the NHS has a budget for investigating this sort of thing.

orly May 23rd 2013 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by bats (Post 10721616)
Well they should. A non resident is only entitled to emergency care in AE, once admitted they could be billed for everything after that.

Has anyone ever heard of a British citizen being charged to avail of the NHS?

If so, I've never seen it/read about it.

Novocastrian May 23rd 2013 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by orly (Post 10721756)

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/englan...rom_abroad.htm

BTJ May 23rd 2013 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 10721834)

That's interesting, people receiving the UK state pension who have lived in the UK in the past for 10 years and now live outside the EEA are eligible for NHS care (except for routine treatment for a pre-existing conditions).

Novocastrian May 23rd 2013 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by BTJ (Post 10721868)
That's interesting, people receiving the UK state pension who have lived in the UK in the past for 10 years and now live outside the EEA are eligible for NHS care (except for routine treatment for a pre-existing conditions).

So it appears.

bats May 24th 2013 12:12 am

Originally Posted by orly (Post 10721756)

I have billed patients who have given foreign addresses. I have no idea of their citizenship as it wasn't relevant.