British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Do we need travel insurance for a holiday back to the UK? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/do-we-need-travel-insurance-holiday-back-uk-797531/)

lifeisajourney May 19th 2013 9:37 pm

Do we need travel insurance for a holiday back to the UK?

We're a family of four. All have British passports, have been in Canada for 6 years now and are permanent residents of Canada. When we go back to England for a 2 week holiday do we need travel insurance to cover us for medical purposes? I've been hearing on the news recently about the NHS trying to clamp down on health tourists and it got me thinking.
I need to check but I think our HSBC premier credit card that we booked the flights on covers us to a certain extent for lost luggage, delays etc.

Thanks in advance.

Almost Canadian May 19th 2013 10:11 pm

Re: Do we need travel insurance for a holiday back to the UK?

Of course you do. Why do you doubt you wouldn't?

sandylns May 19th 2013 10:14 pm

The Canadian Gov., web site www.travel.gc.ca recommends that all permanent residents purchase travel insurance for travel outside of Canada. That includes the US and UK. Also, make sure your PR documents are current. They, I believe, have to be renewed every five years. The information is on the web site as well.
Travel insurance is also a good idea for Canadians citizens as well.

As an aside, if you are over seventy five, it is difficult to get coverage for over 30 day periods. I mention this because I fall under that category. I was covered under my former employers group policy except this year. I am sure it doesn't apply to you and your family but for anyone reading this post be aware of the restrictions that come in to play when you get to that golden plateau.

You can purchase insurance for a reasonable cost. Even banks are selling it. Check with HSBC, they may have a plan to suit you.

haggis88 May 19th 2013 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian (Post 10715493)
Of course you do. Why do you doubt you wouldn't?

Isn't the E111 Card linked to your passport?

Siouxie May 19th 2013 10:47 pm

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/1086.aspx

http://www.nhs.uk/nhsengland/aboutnh...-services.aspx (see exemptions)

Yes, because you have been living outside the UK for more than 5 years you are not entitled to free health treatment (other than emergencies where you have been admitted to hospital from an accident or similar).

Aviator May 19th 2013 11:19 pm

... and if your luggage gets lost, miss your flights, drop dead and need to be flown back in a box (or jug) etc.

Atlantic Xpat May 19th 2013 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by haggis88 (Post 10715527)
Isn't the E111 Card linked to your passport?

The E111 (if my hazy memory serves) is to get free healthcare in another EU country while travelling in Europe. Of course, Canada not being in the EU puts it in the chocolate teapot category for the Canadian PR/Citizen travelling to UK.;)

Ensure you have health coverage - either purchase it specially, or you may, like me, have coverage through your employers extended benefits. Whether you want to purchase trip cancellation insurance depends upon your risk tolerance and whether your airline tickets are cancellable/changeable or not.

foreigngirl May 20th 2013 10:17 am

I looked into this a while ago as I'm currently in Europe. It turned out that my partner's extended health coverage that he gets through work (and that also covers me) also includes travel insurance. Maybe you have this too?

The4BellsLondon May 21st 2013 4:19 am

Originally Posted by lifeisajourney (Post 10715458)
We're a family of four. All have British passports, have been in Canada for 6 years now and are permanent residents of Canada. When we go back to England for a 2 week holiday do we need travel insurance to cover us for medical purposes? I've been hearing on the news recently about the NHS trying to clamp down on health tourists and it got me thinking.
I need to check but I think our HSBC premier credit card that we booked the flights on covers us to a certain extent for lost luggage, delays etc.

Thanks in advance.

the HSBC PREMIER CARD GIVES GREAT TRAVEL INSURANCE

oops caps lock sorry x

MarylandNed May 21st 2013 1:43 pm

As others have said, travel insurance is recommended anyway for purposes other than just medical. All good travel insurance policies cover medical as well.

If you go without it, you'd probably be OK getting free emergency treatment but you may get handed a bill for more routine stuff. IMO it's not even worth trying this - especially for a family of 4 that presumably includes kids. My advice would be to purchase travel insurance.

lifeisajourney May 23rd 2013 1:36 am

Thank you all!

Aviator May 23rd 2013 2:08 am

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon (Post 10717384)
the HSBC PREMIER CARD GIVES GREAT TRAVEL INSURANCE

oops caps lock sorry x

So does the RBC Infinite, but you do have to pay for the trip on the card and they only cover 15 days at a time, any more and you have to pay.

Novocastrian May 23rd 2013 2:16 am

Originally Posted by Aviator (Post 10720151)
So does the RBC Infinite, but you do have to pay for the trip on the card and they only cover 15 days at a time, any more and you have to pay.

Agreed with this and the other comments upthread. I have worldwide cover through work, but not all that many of us have this. I wouldn't rely on a credit card etc.

Tangram May 23rd 2013 10:37 am

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 10720164)
Agreed with this and the other comments upthread. I have worldwide cover through work, but not all that many of us have this. I wouldn't rely on a credit card etc.

Same here....which is handy.

orly May 23rd 2013 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by lifeisajourney (Post 10715458)

Thanks in advance.

Do you all have national insurance cards?

I have relatives who moved to Canada in the 60's and have traveled back to the UK on Canadian passports and had no problem accessing healthcare. They are British citizens by birth and the NHS rarely if ever makes a distinction despite stating otherwise.