Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Do we need to keep up with the Jones's

Do we need to keep up with the Jones's

Old Apr 3rd 2006, 7:47 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do we need to keep up with the Jones's

Originally Posted by dbd33
Not in Ontario. They don't use tractors but teams of horses, that's partly why the horse auctions are so interesting, they're buying and selling horses as machinery; they'll be advertised as teams "broke to plough" or "broke to wagon" or whatever. I don't know the details of Mennonite theology but it would seem that specific machines, perhaps those in existence at the time of the religion's foundation, are not allowed; cars and tractors being examples while others such as gas powered weed whackers (!) are allowed. We get summer sausage and eggs from a Mennonite farm where there's just a sign and a bowl for the money, the sausage and eggs are in a fridge so, I suppose, fridges are also allowed.

Mennonites here wear clothes of a limited range of colours fastened with clasps rather than buttons or zips. They smoke like chimneys and are major marijuana growers. They're also big in barn building, if you need a barn you can get a team of Mennonites to come, by wagon, and build it quite cheaply but you have to feed and house them while they work.

Samples of horses for sale as equipment here:

http://www.davidcarson.on.ca/gallery-2006-04-22.php

lot 24 is described in the catalogue as being "Well broke to drive.....have been driven on busy paved road with transport trucks". Perhaps they're ex-Young's brewery.
Interesting if puzzling. I don't understand the contradictions but, hey, if it works for them, I won't try to convert them to buttons.
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 7:49 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by willmore
Thanks for adding this - I forget about it! Except I have never ever seen a mennonite smoke - I thought it was against their religion? or are there cultures of mennonites?
I think there must be different cultures. For example, not all Mennonites would consider a fridge acceptable, perhaps there are orthodox and radical wings of Mennonitism (Mennonitry ?). Certainly the arena at the horse auctions has the air quality of a tube train smoking car.

On the way to the Christmas horse sale we passed several buggies going quickly through the snow, one on skis, they looked extremely stylish. However the parking lot at the sales is full of trucks and horse boxes so, I suppose, Mennonites can at least pay a heathen to drive a horse around. That might be like the Jews who would pay us to turn lights on for them when we were kids.
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 7:49 pm
Happily hungover

1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute

You are welcome. I learned something from Judy's messge.

I might also add that most of the mennonites around the KW area have no electricity or electrica appliances of any kind.....
Not even battery operated ..........
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 7:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by 1066
Not even battery operated ..........

Can you imagine how deprived their sex life must be!
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 7:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I think there must be different cultures. For example, not all Mennonites would consider a fridge acceptable, perhaps there are orthodox and radical wings of Mennonitism (Mennonitry ?). Certainly the arena at the horse auctions has the air quality of a tube train smoking car.

On the way to the Christmas horse sale we passed several buggies going quickly through the snow, one on skis, they looked extremely stylish. However the parking lot at the sales is full of trucks and horse boxes so, I suppose, Mennonites can at least pay a heathen to drive a horse around. That might be like the Jews who would pay us to turn lights on for them when we were kids.

Thats really interesting - thanks. Learn something new everyday!
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 7:52 pm
Happily hungover

1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute

Can you imagine how deprived their sex life must be!
Is that deprived or depraved .......
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 7:53 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
Interesting if puzzling. I don't understand the contradictions but, hey, if it works for them, I won't try to convert them to buttons.
Well indeed, clasp wearing seems one of the less harmful manifestations of religious extremism. I can't get over the weed whackers though, women stand at the side of the road in long dresses, aprons and bonnets and wield these noisy machines. It's incongruous.
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 7:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by 1066
Is that deprived or depraved .......
Maybe a little of both - Ill ask next time Im in the KW area!
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 7:55 pm
Happily hungover

LOL!! Catch you laters ....
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 7:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well indeed, clasp wearing seems one of the less harmful manifestations of religious extremism. I can't get over the weed whackers though, women stand at the side of the road in long dresses, aprons and bonnets and wield these noisy machines. It's incongruous.

It was explained to me that the mennonites feel that buttons are evil, but clasps are not.....go figure!
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 7:57 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Probably best not to mention horses in the same conversation. Just in case.
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 8:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

I
If you are ever in the St. Jacobs area, you will see them still driving horse and buggy in the middle of winter.

Very friendly for the environment. Just don't step in the exhaust!
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 8:30 pm
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light

I haven't read the posts in this thread so apologies if someone else has suggested what I am going to suggest.

I own a farm, could not run it without my truck. We also have a Jeep Wrangler for use as an ATV basically; it rarely goes off the farm. However both of these vehicles are pretty gas-guzzling and are not really suitable for loads of hours of travelling. So.......

what we did was buy a Subaru Outback. Nice little car, has AWD and has never ever got stuck, plenty of trunk-space and fairly nicely kitted out inside with all the toys. The real beauty of the Outback is that it is a fairly mundane and non-"look at me!" style to it. It is absolutely perfect for us and may be an option for you?

*Disclaimer* BTW I am not "into" Japanese cars, but I love this one!
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

Hudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really nice

[QUOTE=Prakash & Sandra]I have heard that Canada is far more materialistic than the UK.
Having always been someone who refuses to follow the crowd , will this cause any problems.

[
/QUOTE]

Dont know if Canadians are pathologically more materialistic but on my travels I cant help but notice the majority of their garages are crammed with crap, maybe its cause there is more on offer. However they seem to get shot of it to their neighbours yearly with garage sales.
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 8:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

[QUOTE=Hudman]
Originally Posted by Prakash & Sandra
I have heard that Canada is far more materialistic than the UK.
Having always been someone who refuses to follow the crowd , will this cause any problems.

[
/QUOTE]

Dont know if Canadians are pathologically more materialistic but on my travels I cant help but notice the majority of their garages are crammed with crap, maybe its cause there is more on offer. However they seem to get shot of it to their neighbours yearly with garage sales.

I admit it....Im a pack rat addict. I save everything and store in the garage or basement!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.