British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Do visitors who wish to extend their stay need to notify immigration? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/do-visitors-who-wish-extend-their-stay-need-notify-immigration-775105/)

julie2 Oct 19th 2012 11:21 am

Do visitors who wish to extend their stay need to notify immigration?

I had an emergency c section recently and now have a healthy and happy baby! However, the recovery is a slow process, much too slow for my liking, but I am getting there!

My folks are across from the UK helping just now. Their flights were booked a few months in advance and they are supposed to return to the UK next week. I have got an infection though and so now have a scan at the end of October. My parents want to stay longer to help out, especially if I need to go back into hospital.

It isn't possible to change their flights as they have direct tickets from st john's Newfoundland to heathrow and these flights end for the year before they wish to fly, so new tickets will have to be purchased.

My questions are:
do they have to notify immigration of their intention to stay longer?

Are they allowed to stay in newfoundland without a ticket since they don't know when they will go home yet? We think it will be sometime in november.

Thanks in advance for any info

mandymoochops Oct 19th 2012 11:25 am

Re: Do visitors who wish to extend their stay need to notify immigration?

Yes they can apply online at the CIC website for an extension of their tourist visas. It costs $75 each.

chanceUK Oct 19th 2012 11:45 am

Originally Posted by julie2 (Post 10338952)
I had an emergency c section recently and now have a healthy and happy baby! However, the recovery is a slow process, much too slow for my liking, but I am getting there!

My folks are across from the UK helping just now. Their flights were booked a few months in advance and they are supposed to return to the UK next week. I have got an infection though and so now have a scan at the end of October. My parents want to stay longer to help out, especially if I need to go back into hospital.

It isn't possible to change their flights as they have direct tickets from st john's Newfoundland to heathrow and these flights end for the year before they wish to fly, so new tickets will have to be purchased.

My questions are:
do they have to notify immigration of their intention to stay longer?

Are they allowed to stay in newfoundland without a ticket since they don't know when they will go home yet? We think it will be sometime in november.

Thanks in advance for any info

they need to check the stamp in their passport. unless anything else was written, they can stay for up to 6months from the time they entered canada. If they want to stay beyond this, they'll have to apply for an extension to their visitor status online

ultrarunner Oct 19th 2012 1:11 pm

Or just cross the bridge for a day or two and get back in. Quick and dirty

Former Lancastrian Oct 19th 2012 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by ultrarunner (Post 10339073)
Or just cross the bridge for a day or two and get back in. Quick and dirty

Which bridge???? They are in Newfoundland last time I checked they used ferries to get to the mainland if wishing to flagpole.
Please tell me you arent with a recce branch of the Cad Forces :lol:
Make sure you apply for an extension before your period of stay expires
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/extend-stay.asp

ultrarunner Oct 19th 2012 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 10339090)
Which bridge???? They are in Newfoundland last time I checked they used ferries to get to the mainland if wishing to flagpole.
Please tell me you arent with a recce branch of the Cad Forces :lol:
Make sure you apply for an extension before your period of stay expires
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/extend-stay.asp

Oh dear.....I realize there aren't any bridges, but surely they get off the island don't they? The statement was suggesting "crossing the closest border bridge as an option"

Recce, how about pathfinder qualified ;)

Former Lancastrian Oct 19th 2012 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by ultrarunner (Post 10339116)
Oh dear.....I realize there aren't any bridges, but surely they get off the island don't they? The statement was suggesting "crossing the closest border bridge as an option"

Just let me know when you are due to call in an air strike as I may need a heads up :rofl:

Atlantic Xpat Oct 20th 2012 1:18 am

Originally Posted by ultrarunner (Post 10339116)

But **** no grasp of Canadian geography. A land journey from st johns to the us, involves a 12hr drive, an 8 hr ferry ride followed by another 12 Hr drive. Flying, even to the UK is a little more practical.

nldfc Oct 20th 2012 4:03 am

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat (Post 10340091)
But **** no grasp of Canadian geography. A land journey from st johns to the us, involves a 12hr drive, an 8 hr ferry ride followed by another 12 Hr drive. Flying, even to the UK is a little more practical.

Is Saint Pierre still an option ?

Former Lancastrian Oct 20th 2012 11:46 am

Originally Posted by nldfc (Post 10340162)
Is Saint Pierre still an option ?

For flagpoling yes it is.

james.mc Oct 20th 2012 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat (Post 10340091)

So.. dirty but not quick by any stretch of the immagination :eek:

Ex-RE Qualified to build bridges but even we know our limits!

julie2 Oct 21st 2012 12:25 pm

Thanks folks. I've checked the passport and the only thing stamped in it is the arrival date. Does this mean they have 6 months from that date even though they put down on their form that they would stay 15 days?

chanceUK Oct 21st 2012 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by julie2 (Post 10341883)
Thanks folks. I've checked the passport and the only thing stamped in it is the arrival date. Does this mean they have 6 months from that date even though they put down on their form that they would stay 15 days?

yes they have 6 months from the arrival date. they only need to apply for an extension if they want to stay beyond the 6 months