Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Do visitors who wish to extend their stay need to notify immigration?

Do visitors who wish to extend their stay need to notify immigration?

Old Oct 19th 2012, 11:21 am
Forum Regular

julie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nice
Default Do visitors who wish to extend their stay need to notify immigration?

I had an emergency c section recently and now have a healthy and happy baby! However, the recovery is a slow process, much too slow for my liking, but I am getting there!

My folks are across from the UK helping just now. Their flights were booked a few months in advance and they are supposed to return to the UK next week. I have got an infection though and so now have a scan at the end of October. My parents want to stay longer to help out, especially if I need to go back into hospital.

It isn't possible to change their flights as they have direct tickets from st john's Newfoundland to heathrow and these flights end for the year before they wish to fly, so new tickets will have to be purchased.

My questions are:
do they have to notify immigration of their intention to stay longer?

Are they allowed to stay in newfoundland without a ticket since they don't know when they will go home yet? We think it will be sometime in november.

Thanks in advance for any info
Old Oct 19th 2012, 11:25 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do visitors who wish to extend their stay need to notify immigration?

Yes they can apply online at the CIC website for an extension of their tourist visas. It costs $75 each.
Old Oct 19th 2012, 11:45 am
BE Enthusiast

chanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do visitors who wish to extend their stay need to notify immigration?

Originally Posted by julie2
I had an emergency c section recently and now have a healthy and happy baby! However, the recovery is a slow process, much too slow for my liking, but I am getting there!

My folks are across from the UK helping just now. Their flights were booked a few months in advance and they are supposed to return to the UK next week. I have got an infection though and so now have a scan at the end of October. My parents want to stay longer to help out, especially if I need to go back into hospital.

It isn't possible to change their flights as they have direct tickets from st john's Newfoundland to heathrow and these flights end for the year before they wish to fly, so new tickets will have to be purchased.

My questions are:
do they have to notify immigration of their intention to stay longer?

Are they allowed to stay in newfoundland without a ticket since they don't know when they will go home yet? We think it will be sometime in november.

Thanks in advance for any info
they need to check the stamp in their passport. unless anything else was written, they can stay for up to 6months from the time they entered canada. If they want to stay beyond this, they'll have to apply for an extension to their visitor status online
Old Oct 19th 2012, 1:11 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Or just cross the bridge for a day or two and get back in. Quick and dirty
Old Oct 19th 2012, 1:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ultrarunner
Or just cross the bridge for a day or two and get back in. Quick and dirty
Which bridge???? They are in Newfoundland last time I checked they used ferries to get to the mainland if wishing to flagpole.
Please tell me you arent with a recce branch of the Cad Forces
Make sure you apply for an extension before your period of stay expires
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/extend-stay.asp
Old Oct 19th 2012, 1:41 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Which bridge???? They are in Newfoundland last time I checked they used ferries to get to the mainland if wishing to flagpole.
Please tell me you arent with a recce branch of the Cad Forces
Make sure you apply for an extension before your period of stay expires
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/extend-stay.asp
Oh dear.....I realize there aren't any bridges, but surely they get off the island don't they? The statement was suggesting "crossing the closest border bridge as an option"

Recce, how about pathfinder qualified
Old Oct 19th 2012, 1:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Oh dear.....I realize there aren't any bridges, but surely they get off the island don't they? The statement was suggesting "crossing the closest border bridge as an option"

Just let me know when you are due to call in an air strike as I may need a heads up
Old Oct 20th 2012, 1:18 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

But **** no grasp of Canadian geography. A land journey from st johns to the us, involves a 12hr drive, an 8 hr ferry ride followed by another 12 Hr drive. Flying, even to the UK is a little more practical.
Old Oct 20th 2012, 4:03 am
BE Forum Addict

nldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
But **** no grasp of Canadian geography. A land journey from st johns to the us, involves a 12hr drive, an 8 hr ferry ride followed by another 12 Hr drive. Flying, even to the UK is a little more practical.
Is Saint Pierre still an option ?
Old Oct 20th 2012, 11:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by nldfc
Is Saint Pierre still an option ?
For flagpoling yes it is.
Old Oct 20th 2012, 1:38 pm
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
So.. dirty but not quick by any stretch of the immagination

Ex-RE Qualified to build bridges but even we know our limits!
Old Oct 21st 2012, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

julie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nice

Thanks folks. I've checked the passport and the only thing stamped in it is the arrival date. Does this mean they have 6 months from that date even though they put down on their form that they would stay 15 days?
Old Oct 21st 2012, 1:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

chanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by julie2
Thanks folks. I've checked the passport and the only thing stamped in it is the arrival date. Does this mean they have 6 months from that date even though they put down on their form that they would stay 15 days?
yes they have 6 months from the arrival date. they only need to apply for an extension if they want to stay beyond the 6 months