Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Do I even need to send a tax return?!

Do I even need to send a tax return?!

Old Feb 19th 2014, 7:37 pm
Forum Regular

cllb2 is just really nicecllb2 is just really nicecllb2 is just really nicecllb2 is just really nicecllb2 is just really nicecllb2 is just really nicecllb2 is just really nicecllb2 is just really nicecllb2 is just really nicecllb2 is just really nice
Default Do I even need to send a tax return?!

I thought the answer to this was yes, but someone was telling me otherwise the other day and I would really like to check.

I did a little bit of contracted research let year, with my invoices paid by cheque.
I invoiced for $2730.10 and received $1620 of that in 2013, the rest in January 2014.

This person was telling me that if I made under the taxable amount in 2013, that I would not need to send a return as tax would not be owed on this amount anyway.

Sorry, I know its tax question season, but I can't seem to find an answer to this on the Canada Gov websites.
Old Feb 19th 2014, 7:49 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do I even need to send a tax return?!

Originally Posted by cllb2 View Post
I thought the answer to this was yes, but someone was telling me otherwise the other day and I would really like to check.

I did a little bit of contracted research let year, with my invoices paid by cheque.
I invoiced for $2730.10 and received $1620 of that in 2013, the rest in January 2014.

This person was telling me that if I made under the taxable amount in 2013, that I would not need to send a return as tax would not be owed on this amount anyway.

Sorry, I know its tax question season, but I can't seem to find an answer to this on the Canada Gov websites.
Rember that your personal amount will be prorated from the time you became a tax-resident.

You don't HAVE to file a tax return if you don't owe tax. It is a good idea to do so however. It gets you into the system (your first return can take months to process), it makes you eligible for some benefits, it helps prove your residence.
Old Feb 19th 2014, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

cllb2 is just really nicecllb2 is just really nicecllb2 is just really nicecllb2 is just really nicecllb2 is just really nicecllb2 is just really nicecllb2 is just really nicecllb2 is just really nicecllb2 is just really nicecllb2 is just really nice

JonBoyE

Thank you so much. If my husband wants to claim back on the personal allowance I didn't use up, can he do that at all? And can he do that without my doing a return?

I suppose I might as well do one if it helps, although we are moving back to London this summer! Its not like it'll cost me anything to do it.

Makes me realize how easy I had it with HMRC's PAYE system (even though you had to make sure they weren't messing it up!)
Old Feb 19th 2014, 8:11 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

... If my husband wants to claim back on the personal allowance I didn't use up, can he do that at all? And can he do that without my doing a return?
Yes and yes.
Old Feb 20th 2014, 5:11 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I agree, file a return, do it on paper, helps you get the hang of it. The longer you're in Canada the more complicated it will get so better to start off with an easy one.
Old Feb 21st 2014, 1:30 am
BE Enthusiast

J-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond repute

In the year we arrived we had no clue as to filing a tax return so we asked and was advised as you have been advised here - File a return to get in the system

We arrived 13 Dec 2007 and for the 2007 tax return 18 days in the country we were very impressed to receive $400 refund !!

Old Feb 21st 2014, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

Well that was a nice surprise! I shall fill one out and just hope they don't ask for any money - because I 'May' have already spent it
Old Feb 21st 2014, 10:59 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J-A-UK View Post
We arrived 13 Dec 2007 and for the 2007 tax return 18 days in the country we were very impressed to receive $400 refund !!
Old Feb 22nd 2014, 3:59 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah we got a tax rebate in our first year here too, despite neither of us working. I think its the property tax bit of your rent . only applicable to low (or zero) incomes
Old Mar 5th 2014, 5:01 pm
Forum Regular

Oops, sorry I didn't realize there had been more replies. These tax rebates sound fun - though we only missed January last year so I imagine we won't be owed anything/very much.

Because I'm a bit stupid, it turns out that I was paid as an independent contractor so need to file my return as such. As if I need more to complicate things! I don't think it matters so much for 2013. But for 2014 my earnings will exceed $3500 (though I'll only be here til late June) and it looks like I'll have to pay 9.9% CPP!!!! YIKES!
Old Mar 5th 2014, 5:22 pm

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Oops, sorry I didn't realize there had been more replies. These tax rebates sound fun - though we only missed January last year so I imagine we won't be owed anything/very much.

Because I'm a bit stupid, it turns out that I was paid as an independent contractor so need to file my return as such. As if I need more to complicate things! I don't think it matters so much for 2013. But for 2014 my earnings will exceed $3500 (though I'll only be here til late June) and it looks like I'll have to pay 9.9% CPP!!!! YIKES!
File as self employed - it's one extra form on the normal tax return.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pbg/tf/t2125/README.html

You don't have to pay CPP unless your earnings are over $3,500, but yes, it's 9.9%

Last edited by Siouxie; Mar 5th 2014 at 5:24 pm.
Old Mar 6th 2014, 1:48 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

From your first post, regardless of when you get paid the money, you earned the amount and invoiced it in 2013, so should report the full amount for 2013, it is accruals accounting, likewise any expenses you incured, even if your did not pay for them until 2014, if they were invoiced in 2013, you can deduct them as expenses for that year.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/bsnss/tp...cntng-eng.html

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/bsnss/tp.../menu-eng.html

As self employed you need to file before midnight, June 15. However any tax owing after April 30 accrues interest until paid.
Old Mar 6th 2014, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Siouxie View Post
File as self employed - it's one extra form on the normal tax return.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pbg/tf/t2125/README.html

You don't have to pay CPP unless your earnings are over $3,500, but yes, it's 9.9%

I come in at 2740.10 for last year - so yay!

Thing is - I don't seem to have much to actually enter on that extra form?
No business name or details, no business income, no costs, no expenses….
I think I only have part 2(d) and (f), part 3(g) and (h) and Part 5(k) where I have any info to enter!

I miss being employed and on PAYE!

Tried to file husbands (much more straightforward) return on Netfile last night after preparing it and having it checked on H&R Block - but Netfile said there were errors!
Old Mar 6th 2014, 7:25 pm

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I come in at 2740.10 for last year - so yay!

Thing is - I don't seem to have much to actually enter on that extra form?
No business name or details, no business income, no costs, no expenses….
I think I only have part 2(d) and (f), part 3(g) and (h) and Part 5(k) where I have any info to enter!

I miss being employed and on PAYE!

Tried to file husbands (much more straightforward) return on Netfile last night after preparing it and having it checked on H&R Block - but Netfile said there were errors!
Are you putting down costs for use of the home as a home office? You can claim around 10% of your mortgage, property taxes, heating, internet, phones.

Your business income would be the $2740.10 you earned last year working as a self employed contractor.

I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole, personally! I use Studiotax and have found it works for me.

Old Mar 6th 2014, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

I'll definitely be using something else!
The only cost we really incur with our flat is internet - and we would've got that anyway. My work is all research so all I'm ever doing is collaborating with scholars and downloading articles so its all done online.

Thanks Siouxie