Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Do Canadian company offer private pension?

Do Canadian company offer private pension?

Old Mar 24th 2011, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

davidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud of
Default Do Canadian company offer private pension?

Here in the UK, most companies offer private pension on top of the salary. I wonder how the Canadian companies do related to pension.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 7:50 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do Canadian company offer private pension?

Originally Posted by davidsk
Here in the UK, most companies offer private pension on top of the salary. I wonder how the Canadian companies do related to pension.
It depends on the company, there is no one answer.

Mine does still offer a private pension, but its in a minority I think. Many offer contributory plans to your own or a company sponsored RRSP fund (they will match what you put in for example, up to a preset ceiling), Many do nothing...
Old Mar 24th 2011, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

davidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud of

Thanks, ianik. It is useful. When looking for a job, I need to find out what they offer.
Old Mar 25th 2011, 2:53 am
BE Enthusiast

debbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of light

matched rrsp contributions up to 4% of earnings here... (needily interested to know if that's average, now...)
Old Mar 25th 2011, 2:56 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by debbiem
matched rrsp contributions up to 4% of earnings here... (needily interested to know if that's average, now...)
My first employer in Canada provided a private, final salary scheme but then they were formerly a govt owned company. IMHO only the government and associated agencies will offer final salary schemes now. RRSP = Money purchase scheme in the UK. 3% salary matching common, I now have 5% and I had one interview for a job where they matched up to 7.5%. (An oil service company). If you above 3% you are doing well IMHO.
Old Mar 25th 2011, 3:11 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
My first employer in Canada provided a private, final salary scheme but then they were formerly a govt owned company. IMHO only the government and associated agencies will offer final salary schemes now. RRSP = Money purchase scheme in the UK. 3% salary matching common, I now have 5% and I had one interview for a job where they matched up to 7.5%. (An oil service company). If you above 3% you are doing well IMHO.
My present employer still does.

Dont know how vulnerable I am to them changing their mind about that though and deciding to drop it... In some respects at least with an RRSP contribution scheme you are to some extent master of your own destiny.
Old Mar 25th 2011, 3:14 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

My first employer in Canada provided a private, final salary scheme but then they were formerly a govt owned company. IMHO only the government and associated agencies will offer final salary schemes now.
CP Rail still offers a defined benefit pension plan. I don't know of any others though.
Old Mar 25th 2011, 5:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

britsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond repute

In my current company they have a final salary scheme (it is an associated agency as it is 100% government funded)

Each employee pays a percentage of their income, then the employer has to make sure that there is enough money in the pot to pay all our pensions when we retire.

Last year we had a bit of a pension scare. With the global recession, the pension pot was at 70% of what it needed to be. In order to avoid having to pay millions of dollars extra into the pot, all the employees had to sign a letter stating we were willing to give them an extra year to get it to the level it needed to be at.
Old Mar 25th 2011, 9:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

debbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of light

If you above 3% you are doing well IMHO.
Thank you! I feel less needy now
Old Mar 25th 2011, 9:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

I have worked for a number of law firms and none of them made any form of contribution to their employees' RRSPs.
Old Mar 25th 2011, 10:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I have worked for a number of law firms and none of them made any form of contribution to their employees' RRSPs.
That is quite surprising!
Old Mar 25th 2011, 11:14 pm
Forum Regular

ChrisBoar is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep, my wife works for the Red Cross here and they match her contributions into an RSP.

Just as well really given the scandalous management charges that Canadian mutual funds charge that basically halve your returns over the long term.
Old Mar 26th 2011, 12:52 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

I get a pension - I can't remember the details exactly. Not that it matters - this is what's going to happen to our pensions.

Old Mar 26th 2011, 2:08 am
Forum Regular

ChrisBoar is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Not that it matters - this is what's going to happen to our pensions.
Well depends on what investments you put your pension funds in. Canadian Mutual funds have some of the highest expenses in the world. I ran some scenarios on my pension fund, $200,000 growing at 8% for 25 years with a management fee of 2.89%

I lost a PHENOMENAL $670,000 to FEES over 25 years! 50% of my growth was gone!

That's the wonder of compound growth.

I imagine most Mutual fund investors have no idea of the long term effect of these fees.

My personal strategy will be the Couch Potato strategy. Investing in very low cost index funds for my self directed RSP.

http://canadiancouchpotato.com/
Old Mar 26th 2011, 4:48 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChrisBoar
Well depends on what investments you put your pension funds in. Canadian Mutual funds have some of the highest expenses in the world. I ran some scenarios on my pension fund, $200,000 growing at 8% for 25 years with a management fee of 2.89%

I lost a PHENOMENAL $670,000 to FEES over 25 years! 50% of my growth was gone!

That's the wonder of compound growth.

I imagine most Mutual fund investors have no idea of the long term effect of these fees.

My personal strategy will be the Couch Potato strategy. Investing in very low cost index funds for my self directed RSP.

http://canadiancouchpotato.com/
Good luck getting 8% every year for the next 25 years. You are more optimistic than me - even on the assumption of any year on year growth at all over those time scales, let alone 8%.

The way I see it is that the can was kicked down the road in 2008, but the problems with the financial system still exist. We will see a worse crisis at some point in the not to distant future - possibly related to sovereign debt. Expect to lose everything - it's only paper anyways

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.