Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Do any VPN providers work with Telus?

Do any VPN providers work with Telus?

Old Nov 28th 2012, 7:28 pm
Just Joined

CPD2008 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do any VPN providers work with Telus?

Hi, I live in Calgary and at the moment Shaw provide us with Internet, phone & tv but thinking of moving to Telus. The thing is I use expattelly as my VPN provider to watch iplayer etc... And I'm sure I've read somewhere on here that expattelly doesn't work through Telus.
Does anyone on here have Telus supply their internet and use a VPN provider too? If so who do you use?

Thanks in advance for your help
Old Nov 28th 2012, 10:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do any VPN providers work with Telus?

i just use that ExpatShield

everyone on here seems to slate it, but its worked fine for anything i've watched so far!

fyi, i'm on Telus' 25mbps plan
Old Nov 29th 2012, 12:45 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CPD2008
Hi, I live in Calgary and at the moment Shaw provide us with Internet, phone & tv but thinking of moving to Telus. The thing is I use expattelly as my VPN provider to watch iplayer etc... And I'm sure I've read somewhere on here that expattelly doesn't work through Telus.
Does anyone on here have Telus supply their internet and use a VPN provider too? If so who do you use?

My VPN works with Telus..i used to be with shaw. when i changed i had to reconfigure the VPN set up to work with Telus..oh and i wouldn't touch expat shield with a barge pole
Old Nov 30th 2012, 3:43 am
BE Enthusiast

tee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond repute

I can't comment specifically on the VPN your using but in general i've heard of people having problems with Telus and pptp vpn connections. An open VPN expat service if there is one should get around that if they do block but it would most likely be more expensive. It would also depend on the router they provide as a basic router may not be VPN compatible. You can always use a different router though.
Call Telus and ask about vpn's. I wouldn't switch to them if my life depended on it though, they suck
Old Nov 30th 2012, 12:22 pm
I said what ?!

Animal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not with Telus but may be worth looking at a smartDNS service. I use overplay.net at $5 a month.

I've only had it a couple of weeks but so far works with everything I through at it. I've even set up my smart TV with it so I can watch catchup TV on there, rather than through a laptop.

If you use netflix, you can have it so Iplayer etc still works but uses US netflix.

You can set the smart DNS service up through some routers so everything on your home network will use the service rather than having to set up each PC, Ipad, phone etc.
Old Nov 30th 2012, 3:12 pm
Forum Regular

Collie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond repute

We're not with telus, but am very happy with the Witopia vpn on computers, ipads etc. Eastlink is our cable supplier.
Old Nov 30th 2012, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

chrissyb is an unknown quantity at this point

I am with Telus, I use www.my-private-network.co.uk. They did have to set something up on my laptop as I was with Telus but got it working really quickly.
Old Nov 30th 2012, 4:34 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

And I'm sure I've read somewhere on here that expattelly doesn't work through Telus.
That was a person who made a mistake as I explained to them at the time. They'd received a dynamic IP that someone had been using to download torrents, so Telus sent them a letter saying to stop doing it, but they sent it to the wrong person. That person conflated it with something that they were doing that was in fact unrelated.

Had naff all to do with the VPN connection, which is not in fact a VPN connection, its actually just a connection to a proxy server and they typically use the Microsoft VPN client as a simple method to connect to it. But there is no encryption to reduce overhead on the server so it is not actually a VPN.

One thing I have discovered using VPN (actual VPN, i.e. with encryption) is that the NSA tries to capture the keys if you use it in the US to connect to a source outside the US, and this can bugger up VPN connections because (oddly, you'd never guess) they're designed to not work if someone captures the key. No doubt some sort of anti-terrorist measure but bear it in mind if you're in the US and your VPN connection starts playing up.
Old Jan 24th 2013, 9:04 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
My VPN works with Telus..i used to be with shaw. when i changed i had to reconfigure the VPN set up to work with Telus..oh and i wouldn't touch expat shield with a barge pole
Hi, thanks for you reply (I know it was a while ago!). May I ask is your VPN provider? And when you say had to reconfiger VPN how do you do this?

I decided to take the risk and change Telus and as predicted I'm having trouble now with VPN. I use expat telly and works sometimes so I just don't understand it!
Old Jan 24th 2013, 10:33 pm
Forum Regular

MrWindUpBird is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Animal
I'm not with Telus but may be worth looking at a smartDNS service. I use overplay.net at $5 a month.
I use unblock.us which offers a similar service, with mostly success. Some friends also on Telus in the same city couldn't get it to work, though. I think there are different setups even within the same ISPs so find something that has a free trial to make sure it works first.
Old Jan 24th 2013, 11:44 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MrWindUpBird
I use unblock.us which offers a similar service, with mostly success. Some friends also on Telus in the same city couldn't get it to work, though. I think there are different setups even within the same ISPs so find something that has a free trial to make sure it works first.
Thanks for that....it looks like unblock-us works! Fingers crossed it continues to work.