Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

DIY stores in Canada

DIY stores in Canada

Old Oct 23rd 2013, 12:18 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DIY stores in Canada

Although smaller than the others, I have always found Totem to provide experienced and knowledgeable service, which is an important consideration for me when it comes to DIY. Take a number, wait your turn and then the rep will provide as much help as you need. Unlike some of the other stores where you can walk around for ages trying to find someone to speak to.
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 1:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

You guys are just spoilt!!

We have Home Hardware, Canadian Tire, Kents and Timbr Mart.
BUT because we are in a small community in the middle of nowhere we don't get the whole range available in bigger towns; so regularly we will have to put something on a shopping list for when we next go up to Halifax!
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 11:15 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Talking of DIY, and without wishing to appear to be promoting a company, those of you tired of lugging around heavy mitre saws and dicking around with saw horses might wish out to check out the Ridgid cart at Home Depot. It is the dogs bollx and a steal at $199. I got it on sale but I'd happily have paid more, knowing what I know now.
Old Oct 24th 2013, 1:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
Talking of DIY, and without wishing to appear to be promoting a company, those of you tired of lugging around heavy mitre saws and dicking around with saw horses might wish out to check out the Ridgid cart at Home Depot. It is the dogs bollx and a steal at $199. I got it on sale but I'd happily have paid more, knowing what I know now.
I obtained one of these very recently. I agree with you, it is the bollox.

I obtained it on sale too. I won't let on how much I paid for it.

When researching it (as I found it online and it looked too flimsy for what I wanted) I found a video on Youtube where some professionals reviewed it. One said that he tried to beat it to death, but failed. He said that he loaded into his truck with the saw attached and routinely let if fall from the bed straight to the ground in its transporting position.
Old Oct 24th 2013, 1:20 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I obtained one of these very recently. I agree with you, it is the bollox.

I obtained it on sale too. I won't let on how much I paid for it.

When researching it (as I found it online and it looked too flimsy for what I wanted) I found a video on Youtube where some professionals reviewed it. One said that he tried to beat it to death, but failed. He said that he loaded into his truck with the saw attached and routinely let if fall from the bed straight to the ground in its transporting position.
An absolute bitch to put together, though. The instructions are dreadful and I'm bloody glad I have an impact driver and socket set.
Old Oct 24th 2013, 1:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
An absolute bitch to put together, though. The instructions are dreadful and I'm bloody glad I have an impact driver and socket set.
I have a socket set, but no impact driver, from memory, there was one tricky part with the assembly.

This is the video I referred to and this is the piece of kit that I have:

Old Oct 24th 2013, 1:40 am
Slob

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I have a socket set, but no impact driver, from memory, there was one tricky part with the assembly.

This is the video I referred to and this is the piece of kit that I have:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=GyJxS3k6ojU
I think the trickiest bit was try to attach a brace. I ended up referring to the picture on the box.