Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

DIY PET FLIGHTS

DIY PET FLIGHTS

Old Nov 13th 2010, 7:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: DIY PET FLIGHTS

Originally Posted by lins and Stef McLachlan
Oh my god

I would buy the kennel from them and then tell them to shove the service. You need to contact Air Canada for a quote to DIY, based on kennel measurements and combined weight of kennel and dog. That is ridiculously expensive for just the dog.

Mine was 866 with an internal flight from Toronto to Windsor included.....so unless you have a hefty baby elephant there...I would seriously do it myself.
Sorry
Stef
Hi we need to fly from Manchester so the Air Canada route is out for us unfortunately plus we wanted to fly on the same flight and an Air Canada ticket for us vs a Canadian Affair ticket Thomas Cook is so expensive so its pet agent for us I'm afraid, the cheapest quote we have is Animal Airlines with the wooden crates built to suit but our worries are
1 The dogs (Huskies) can chew through the wood no problem, they love wood especially if stressed
2 If we bought vari kennels we would have crates for them after landing.

The one thing we cant get a straight answer to though is which kennel to have, they weigh 32Kgs, 29Kgs and 24Kgs and are Siberian Huskies, labrador sized dogs yet according to some guidelines they would need a Giant vari Kennel because of the height to the ears yet surely an XL kennel would suit them fine, the Giant kennels are twice the cost of the XL which is the next size down, every agent seems to say a different thing, any guidance on this would be appreciated, thanks guys

sorry forgot to put, tallest dog is 32 inches to tip of his ears as they stand up on huskies, 30 inches to top of head, some agents say its tip of ears, some say top of head, XL Kennel is 30 inches high, Giant kennel is 35 inches high

Last edited by Alphawolf; Nov 13th 2010 at 7:31 pm.
Old Nov 13th 2010, 9:10 pm
Just Joined

kiera is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh my god

I would buy the kennel from them and then tell them to shove the service. You need to contact Air Canada for a quote to DIY, based on kennel measurements and combined weight of kennel and dog. That is ridiculously expensive for just the dog.

Mine was 866 with an internal flight from Toronto to Windsor included.....so unless you have a hefty baby elephant there...I would seriously do it myself.
Sorry
Stef
i was only buying the kennel from them. the quote was for air canada DIY.
the kennel is 172cms long x 122cms high x 60 cms wide and tare weight 50kgs.
then dog weighs 60kg. Hence cost fron air canada cargo of £2250
Old Nov 13th 2010, 11:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

Good God! 50Kgs for a Kennel? Oh no...what the heck are they making it out of? My Sky Kennel was only 11kgs....My combined weight was 46 kgs..... You need to look for a ready made kennel......the custom Kennel is a) too heavy and B0 will cost you over 1000 pounds to send. That is not practical...what an absolute rip off. I hope you will be able to cancel that. Ask Air Canada how much it would cost to send 50kgs combined weight......that will be the cost of sending that kennel plus the cost of getting it made to measure. Have a word also with Ladyhaye...they custom make...see who does lighter ones and compare your costs. If you have gone too far down this road....I am sorry to say you are being seriously ripped off....I only hope you can afford to be. Sorry to sound so negative...but a kennel weighing more than the dog?....totally ridiculous.
lol
Stef

Originally Posted by kiera
i was only buying the kennel from them. the quote was for air canada DIY.
the kennel is 172cms long x 122cms high x 60 cms wide and tare weight 50kgs.
then dog weighs 60kg. Hence cost fron air canada cargo of £2250
Old Nov 13th 2010, 11:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
An XL kennel will be plenty big enough for a husky. My lab is taller than usual and an XL was plenty big enough. Heathrow Air Canada just asked for dimensions and combined weight of the kennel and dog...they did not check her vital statistics, so if there is any way you can go the DIY route...with the dogs going out of Heathrow, I would do it that way. It will save you a fortune and will make the extra journey time and expense well worth it. Manchester will not allow you to DIY....as you have found out. Heathrow is only 3 hours from Manchester. This is not a mountain too high to climb....believe me. Even if you did a one way van hire...you would still be quids in.

My lab cost me 866 pounds for 46kgs combined weight to fly to Toronto and then on an internal flight to Windsor Ontario. Your three would all go for less than that each...depending on destination of course and my Kennel cost me 140 pounds ........so even with 3 x 140 and 3 x 866...so around 3018 pounds...so what have you been quoted by those companies?
If you don't mind my asking?
Stef

Originally Posted by mags1972
Hi we need to fly from Manchester so the Air Canada route is out for us unfortunately plus we wanted to fly on the same flight and an Air Canada ticket for us vs a Canadian Affair ticket Thomas Cook is so expensive so its pet agent for us I'm afraid, the cheapest quote we have is Animal Airlines with the wooden crates built to suit but our worries are
1 The dogs (Huskies) can chew through the wood no problem, they love wood especially if stressed
2 If we bought vari kennels we would have crates for them after landing.

The one thing we cant get a straight answer to though is which kennel to have, they weigh 32Kgs, 29Kgs and 24Kgs and are Siberian Huskies, labrador sized dogs yet according to some guidelines they would need a Giant vari Kennel because of the height to the ears yet surely an XL kennel would suit them fine, the Giant kennels are twice the cost of the XL which is the next size down, every agent seems to say a different thing, any guidance on this would be appreciated, thanks guys

sorry forgot to put, tallest dog is 32 inches to tip of his ears as they stand up on huskies, 30 inches to top of head, some agents say its tip of ears, some say top of head, XL Kennel is 30 inches high, Giant kennel is 35 inches high
Old Nov 13th 2010, 11:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to behold

Hi
An XL kennel will be plenty big enough for a husky. My lab is taller than usual and an XL was plenty big enough. Heathrow Air Canada just asked for dimensions and combined weight of the kennel and dog...they did not check her vital statistics, so if there is any way you can go the DIY route...with the dogs going out of Heathrow, I would do it that way. It will save you a fortune and will make the extra journey time and expense well worth it. Manchester will not allow you to DIY....as you have found out. Heathrow is only 3 hours from Manchester. This is not a mountain too high to climb....believe me. Even if you did a one way van hire...you would still be quids in.

My lab cost me 866 pounds for 46kgs combined weight to fly to Toronto and then on an internal flight to Windsor Ontario. Your three would all go for less than that each...depending on destination of course and my Kennel cost me 140 pounds ........so even with 3 x 140 and 3 x 866...so around 3018 pounds...so what have you been quoted by those companies?
Stef
Hi Steff, cheapest quote is £2350 but that was with wood kennels, the vari kennels are wider, hence more volume so it may be slightly more, we looled into Air Canada DIY but were put off when we saw our ticket would be nearly £400 more plus the logistics make it difficult for us as we are only ab hour from Manchester.
Thanks for the info on the XL kennel though, I thought it should be ok, we've seen then on Ebay for £90 each so will get them bought so the guys can get used to them.
I'll look into the AC DIY again but I don't think it works for us, thanks for the info though
Old Nov 14th 2010, 5:20 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: DIY PET FLIGHTS

Good God! 50Kgs for a Kennel? Oh no...what the heck are they making it out of? My Sky Kennel was only 11kgs....My combined weight was 46 kgs..... You need to look for a ready made kennel......the custom Kennel is a) too heavy and B0 will cost you over 1000 pounds to send. That is not practical...what an absolute rip off. I hope you will be able to cancel that. Ask Air Canada how much it would cost to send 50kgs combined weight......that will be the cost of sending that kennel plus the cost of getting it made to measure. Have a word also with Ladyhaye...they custom make...see who does lighter ones and compare your costs. If you have gone too far down this road....I am sorry to say you are being seriously ripped off....I only hope you can afford to be. Sorry to sound so negative...but a kennel weighing more than the dog?....totally ridiculous.
lol
Stef
no haven't ordered anything yet, this is only 1st quote but having trouble getting custom nade big enough. i have put the dimmensions above can anyone help? all suggestions would be great
Old Nov 14th 2010, 11:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hiya
Phew thank heavens you didn't go down that route yet. Right I would have a word with the lady at Jhumphries, the link I gave at the beginning of my post and ask if there is any way they could have a special order or if they know of anyone who will make a plastic kennel the size you want. If you go for wooden...its going to be heavy...see what the people in the business recommend. Explain the sheer weight of the one you enquired about......otherwise consider booking the QM2 and sail across as a family to New York. If you book early enough you could strike lucky with kennelling on board......then you won't need a custom build. They even take them walkies around their own deck!!!! While you and the family have a cruise in the lap of luxury for the money.
Hope this helps
Stef
Originally Posted by kiera
no haven't ordered anything yet, this is only 1st quote but having trouble getting custom nade big enough. i have put the dimmensions above can anyone help? all suggestions would be great
Old Nov 15th 2010, 12:17 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

To get the pound (£) sign on a Canadian keyboard, hold down the "alt" button and key in the number "0163" then release the "alt" button.

Old Nov 15th 2010, 11:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Thank you soooooo much....I couldn't figure out why the keyboard suddenly dropped it.....it moved my @ sign to number two as well....gremlins are at work...for sure!!! I had resorted to some copy and paste tactics as well at times.
lol
Stef

Originally Posted by siouxie
To get the pound (£) sign on a Canadian keyboard, hold down the "alt" button and key in the number "0163" then release the "alt" button.

Old Nov 15th 2010, 11:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi
Where are you? I'm in LaSalle, near Windsor ON...you anywhere near...maybe meet up sometime if you are?
Stef

Originally Posted by siouxie

Old Nov 15th 2010, 1:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

woodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to all

I am not sure if they are suitable but we use Hagen pet cargo kennels for our dogs, which I must admit my dogs are small but they do lots of sizes including extra large and they can be reused. They have flown using these several times and they are on wheels which is great they also come a part so they can be used as a bed. we bought the hot /cold bedding as well which my dogs love also ours came with a little box that clips to the top which was brill because we put thing like leads.coats and toys.
http://www.hagen.com/uk/dogs/addinfo/petcargo.cfm
I hope this helps we bought ours off ebay I have the link somewhere if you would like it.
Old Nov 15th 2010, 2:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi

Stef
Hi Steff

just got off the phone with AC cargo and the price quoted works out at £838.46 each so £2515.37 for all 3 Huskies and Kennels, the kennels, XL, I have found on the internet, Ebay, for £92.99 each so if u add 3 of these you get £2794.34 in total but this is from Heathrow to Calgary.

I have contacted Animal Airlines for an updated quote based on 3 vari kennels which we are providing from Manchester to Calgary, if this is cheaper or a similar price we will go with Animal Airlines as with AC we still have to get to Heathrow, 2 3/4 hours compared to 1 hour and the biggest thing is I get to fly on the same plane as them with the Manchester option, as you found out Air Canada is way more expensive compared to Canadian Affair, £769 in May AC compared to £199 Canadian Affair Thomas Cook.

I did find dealing with AC cargo on the phone really easy, he couldn't give me an accurate quote as I am not flying until May but he was happy to give me a quote today based on the combined weight of all 3 kennels and the 3 dogs.

Told me to ring 30 days before due date to fly when ready to book.

Thanks again Steff for the info though.
Old Nov 15th 2010, 8:10 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by woodywoodside
I am not sure if they are suitable but we use Hagen pet cargo kennels for our dogs, which I must admit my dogs are small but they do lots of sizes including extra large and they can be reused. They have flown using these several times and they are on wheels which is great they also come a part so they can be used as a bed. we bought the hot /cold bedding as well which my dogs love also ours came with a little box that clips to the top which was brill because we put thing like leads.coats and toys.
I hope this helps we bought ours off ebay I have the link somewhere if you would like it.
great i will try all of these first
thanks for your help
Old Nov 15th 2010, 8:24 pm
Just Joined

Hiya
Phew thank heavens you didn't go down that route yet. Right I would have a word with the lady at Jhumphries, the link I gave at the beginning of my post and ask if there is any way they could have a special order or if they know of anyone who will make a plastic kennel the size you want. If you go for wooden...its going to be heavy...see what the people in the business recommend. Explain the sheer weight of the one you enquired about......otherwise consider booking the QM2 and sail across as a family to New York. If you book early enough you could strike lucky with kennelling on board......then you won't need a custom build. They even take them walkies around their own deck!!!! While you and the family have a cruise in the lap of luxury for the money.
Hope this helps
Stef
Many thanks will try this one
Old Nov 15th 2010, 8:25 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by woodywoodside
have asked them for a quote thanks for this

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.