Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

DIY PET FLIGHTS

DIY PET FLIGHTS

Old Nov 1st 2010, 2:44 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DIY PET FLIGHTS

yup Davie - we has the blood work done herein Canada - damn sight cheaper than the uk - so if we need to take them back, they are ready
Old Nov 1st 2010, 3:23 pm
Just Joined

Meldrews is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lins and Stef McLachlan
Hi

Just though I would share my recent experiences with sending my Labrador to Canada from the UK.

Like a lot of you I had quotes for a service provided by various pet forwarding companies. Those quotes were very high...mine were for anything between 1600 - 2200 pounds (sterling).

I contacted Air Canada Cargo and made enquiries with them in London. Tel: 0208 750 8260. You have to buy the correct kennel for your pet and it does have to be IATA approved. I got one from www.johnhumphris.com I gave them my dog's measurements and they suggested the correct size.

The animal, in my case a Dog, (a Labrador)had to have up to date annual vaccinations, have had a Rabies Jab(at least 30 days before travel) (they do not need a blood test if you are not going the expensive Pet passport route), they have to be micro-chipped and then you need to get a 'Fitness to Fly certificate from your vet up to 5 days before travel.

You can book the flight with Air Canada Cargo yourself to fly out of Heathrow. Other airports may differ. I know that when I made enquiries with Thomas Cook out of Manchester, they insist that you use a pet forwarding company and you cannot DIY there.

I found the process very straight-forward, you need to give them the dimensions of your IATA sky kennel and the weight of the dog and kennel combined. For example, mine was 11.5kg for the Kennel and 34KG for the dog...so a combined weight of 45.5Kg. The price is worked out on this dimension and weight. You book the flight, they give you the waybill number, but do not take the money off you until you check the animal in for the flight as the combined weight will be assessed to include and extra weight for bedding. My total weight was then 46Kg with bedding.

We booked on an 8.30am flight from Heathrow to Toronto and the dog had to be there 4 hours before the flight. She had to have been fed and watered at least 6 hours before the flight.

We booked her on a filght to Toronto and then an internal flight to Windsor Ontario. The total cost in London was.... 866.56 pounds..... ( I apologise for no pound sign...but cannot find it since being in Canada...keyboard not the same)

My husband took her to the airport and I collected her from Windsor. I did have the foresight to photocopy all her documents and bring them with me to Canada...as he is still in UK, he also e-mailed me a copy of her 'Fit to fly' Certificate. At Windsor I had to pay a $53 handling and Customs charge and then took her home.

I was able to go online and check departures from Heathrow, arrivals at Toronto, Departures from Toronto and that website also allowed me to check the progress of the flight onscreen on a map.....I was also able to go on the Air Canada cargo site and put in her Airwaybill number and check on the various stages of her journey as logged through them.

If the combined weight of the dog and kennel is less than 32Kg you may not need Cargo and can possibly get away with excess baggage which is a lot cheaper.

It was easy to do......and saved us a lot of money. I thought I would share this as it may be helpful to others considering doing it themselves. Bonnie arrived in good spirits and totally stress free.....but very pleased to see us. It was an emotional reunion...for me...but then I am a softie really
lol
Stef
Thank you for this great information, I am in the process of getting quotes to ship our Shitzhu over to Canada. I was not confident I would be able to do it but you make it sound so easy.

Can I just ask did you require an Export certificate from Defra? Some say I do require one some say I do not.
Old Nov 1st 2010, 4:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
I was going to go down the pet passport route but couldn't. Because my dog has allergy issues and has periodic use of steroids, the vet said that I should have two rabies shots done before the blood test. Bonnie took a MASSIVE allergic reaction to the first jab, so as it took more than two weeks to get her back under control, it was decided that she would not be able to have the second. Yes, we do not know if she has immunity, but she will not ordinarily be allowed outside much as she is allergic to most airborne allergens....so I am not too worried about any Rabies issue in her case. A valid point though.

For those of you who have a pet with allergy issues, check with your vet as to whether they are likely to have an adverse reaction to the Rabies jab and if so how you can minimise that reaction. Looking online after she had had hers....it is a documented side effect. Had I known...I could have been prepared for it.
Hope this helps
Stef

Originally Posted by DAVIE_MAC
Apart from the blood tests the above is all that is required for Pet Passport which includes a fit to travel section.

Just a note on the Rabies.

The Rabies was done prior to departure but if you have not had a positive blood result there is no way of knowing if the vaccine has taken correctly in the dog. Chances are it has but just because the dog is vaccinated doesn't mean it has the vaccine in the blood it might be an idea to have them done for 2 reasons:

1. I would want to ensure the vaccine had taken 100% and not find out later it had not if the dog contracted rabies which would not be nice
2. if for any reason at all you decide you have to return to the UK and want to take the dog it can not enter the UK until 6 months after a positive blood result. Unless you want to go down the 6 months quarantine route.

You just never know what the future holds and as happened to a friend of ours the dog did not have the positive bloods and caused major problems for them and expense.

If an animal misses the booster date for Rabies - even by 1 day - then the whole process must be carried out with positive blood work being done again.

Just as a side note if anyone is returning to UK.

Animals returning to the UK can not fly as excess baggage as they can on exiting the UK they must travel cargo.

HTH
Old Nov 1st 2010, 4:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
No export certificate required, just up to date innoculations, micro-chip , Rabies jab and a 'Fitness to fly certificate. It was very straight forward.
Good luck
Stef

Originally Posted by Meldrews
Thank you for this great information, I am in the process of getting quotes to ship our Shitzhu over to Canada. I was not confident I would be able to do it but you make it sound so easy.

Can I just ask did you require an Export certificate from Defra? Some say I do require one some say I do not.
Old Nov 1st 2010, 8:27 pm
Just Joined

kiera is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: DIY PET FLIGHTS

Sorry
just need to add it is delivered to your home and you can get it as soon as you like. We found that it helped using the bottom half as a pet bed for a week or so beforehand...that way she got used to the space and was comfortable in it.
Hope this helps
Stef
hi stef,
it looks like a problem getting the air kennel big enough - have contacted sky and a couple of others, so far they all say will have to make to measure so this looks like the most expensive part of it
dog is so long and tall H 117cms L = 142 cms w = 30 cms
size of kennel required = 171.25 length x 122 cms height x 60cms width.
still working on it with your help thanks - will certainly be getting it asap so that she will get used to it
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 12:31 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

There are a couple of companies that will build a crate to suit . - BA has a link I think
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 1:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi Keira
I think that they do a giant sized one....you will have to see whether that is big enough. Let me know how you get on
lol
Stef
Originally Posted by kiera
hi stef,
it looks like a problem getting the air kennel big enough - have contacted sky and a couple of others, so far they all say will have to make to measure so this looks like the most expensive part of it
dog is so long and tall H 117cms L = 142 cms w = 30 cms
size of kennel required = 171.25 length x 122 cms height x 60cms width.
still working on it with your help thanks - will certainly be getting it asap so that she will get used to it
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 3:52 am
half a century

Hi Keira
I think that they do a giant sized one....you will have to see whether that is big enough. Let me know how you get on
lol
Stef
I had a giant for my dobie cross!
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 9:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Bucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond repute

Stef
Thanks for the really useful post - our plan A would still be to get our two dogs onto the QM2, but if that doesn't work out, it's good to know it'll be pretty straightforward to cargo them - our Airedale is only 25kg so there shouldn't be a problem getting a crate for him. Getting him into it is a different matter!
The Border x Welshie wouldn't be a problem, he's up for anything..
Ta
Chris
Old Nov 13th 2010, 12:22 am
BE Forum Addict

We looked at QM...thought we would use it as a bit of a finale kind of holiday. Enquired and the spaces are limited and book up really quickly. I would try to book it early.....and it will be a lovely way to go.....also consider what you will do with the dogs when you arrive. We know that Car hire is expensive if you intend to cross from USA to Canada in terms of one way rentals...so we thought about getting a train and then coming across the border and landing in Buffalo...then hiring the car. QM was fully booked and although we could go on standby...we couldn't take the risk that a space wouldn't open up and the dog ending up stranded....would have been far too stressful.
Hope this helps
Stef
Originally Posted by Bucks_Family
Stef
Thanks for the really useful post - our plan A would still be to get our two dogs onto the QM2, but if that doesn't work out, it's good to know it'll be pretty straightforward to cargo them - our Airedale is only 25kg so there shouldn't be a problem getting a crate for him. Getting him into it is a different matter!
The Border x Welshie wouldn't be a problem, he's up for anything..
Ta
Chris
Old Nov 13th 2010, 2:54 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
I had a giant for my dobie cross!
Skye kennels are going to make one for her and have given dimmensions and wht of dog + kennel and to take her with us is £2259 + £225 for kewnnel to be made
Old Nov 13th 2010, 3:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

That is good news....it would have cost you that for the dog on her own with a company....well done you! You have saved a packet.
When are you looking at flying? My dog didn't even suffer any jetlag....but then I suppose there was nothing more to do than sleep during the journey. No ill effects from the flight.
lol
Stef

Skye kennels are going to make one for her and have given dimmensions and wht of dog + kennel and to take her with us is £2259 + £225 for kewnnel to be made
Old Nov 13th 2010, 3:50 pm
Just Joined

That is good news....it would have cost you that for the dog on her own with a company....well done you! You have saved a packet.
When are you looking at flying? My dog didn't even suffer any jetlag....but then I suppose there was nothing more to do than sleep during the journey. No ill effects from the flight.
lol
Stef
this is the cost of the dog on her own we have to add our costs onto that - air canada - end march begining of apr 2011
Old Nov 13th 2010, 7:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oh my god

I would buy the kennel from them and then tell them to shove the service. You need to contact Air Canada for a quote to DIY, based on kennel measurements and combined weight of kennel and dog. That is ridiculously expensive for just the dog.

Mine was 866 with an internal flight from Toronto to Windsor included.....so unless you have a hefty baby elephant there...I would seriously do it myself.
Sorry
Stef

this is the cost of the dog on her own we have to add our costs onto that - air canada - end march begining of apr 2011
Old Nov 13th 2010, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

Neillybhoy has a brilliant futureNeillybhoy has a brilliant futureNeillybhoy has a brilliant futureNeillybhoy has a brilliant futureNeillybhoy has a brilliant futureNeillybhoy has a brilliant future

I've been going round the houses with quotes for my two dogs next year the numbers are pretty scary!

I'm now looking to go via Air Transat from glasgow , got an email from http://www.airspaceas.com/ I'm not sure if they affilated with airtransat but the price was way cheaper than most other companies.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.