British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Digital passport photos in Vancouver for UK passport (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/digital-passport-photos-vancouver-uk-passport-930967/)

beckiwoo Feb 8th 2020 3:07 pm

Digital passport photos in Vancouver for UK passport

Does anyone in/around Vancouver know anywhere that’s doing the digital photos for online UK passport renewals?

I am planning to go back to the UK around May time and I was looking at getting the photos done then (in a booth) with the digital code but then I read the photos have to have been taken within the last month.

Pulaski Feb 8th 2020 3:43 pm

Re: Digital passport photos in Vancouver for UK passport

You realise, or perhaps not, that there is no way to tell when the photos you submit were taken?

Obviously you shouldn't be using photos taken when you were 18, but by the time I finally got around to mailing my passport application the photos were about a year old, and there was no delay at all ... my new passport arrived back on the eighth day - it was mailed in from the UK on Tuesday, but received by me in the US on the Wednesday of the following week.

beckiwoo Feb 8th 2020 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12803830)
You realise, or perhaps not, that there is no way to tell when the photos you submit were taken?

Obviously you shouldn't be using photos taken when you were 18, but by the time I finally got around to mailing my passport application the photos were about a year old, and there was no delay at all ... my new passport arrived back on the eighth day - it was mailed in from the UK on Tuesday, but received by me in the US on the Wednesday of the following week.

Well I thought about it and I know printed photos would not have the date on them but the digital ones I’m not sure as there is a code on them that you input into the application online...

Pulaski Feb 8th 2020 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by beckiwoo (Post 12803841)
Well I thought about it and I know printed photos would not have the date on them but the digital ones I’m not sure as there is a code on them that you input into the application online...

You might be right about digital ones.

BritInParis Feb 8th 2020 4:28 pm

Depending on how long you are going for, you could get your photos done in the UK and then apply with them once you got back to Canada.

Twitcher1958 Feb 8th 2020 8:43 pm

I was planning on taking my own photo and downloading it - is that an option for you?

BristolUK Feb 8th 2020 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by Twitcher1958 (Post 12803925)
I was planning on taking my own photo and downloading it - is that an option for you?

I think she'd do better with her own photo rather than yours. Kind offer though. ;)

beckiwoo Feb 9th 2020 1:07 am

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12803941)
I think she'd do better with her own photo rather than yours. Kind offer though. ;)

LMAO! :rofl:

so terrible but I did laugh for a good minute at this!

Twitcher1958 Feb 9th 2020 2:03 am

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12803941)

Hilarious 😂

beckiwoo Feb 9th 2020 5:20 pm

Another question for people that also hold a Canadian passport.

the application faqs talks about sending a photo colour page of any other valid passports from other countries. One guidance leaflet states on there to send them uk passport and any other valid passports (originals)

Please tell me I’m not sending them my Canadian passport as well. I don’t mind sending them a copy of my photo page from my Canadian passport but why do they need the actual document?

BritInParis Feb 9th 2020 7:31 pm

You don’t need to send your original foreign passport, only a photocopy. The guidance is quite explicit in this regard.

beckiwoo Feb 9th 2020 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12804304)
You don’t need to send your original foreign passport, only a photocopy. The guidance is quite explicit in this regard.

ok that’s fine, I’ll send a colour copy of bio page It also states they want a colour page of every page in passport whether it’s blank or not...why?

BritInParis Feb 9th 2020 8:05 pm

To keep tabs on you but they’ll issue your new passport either way.

Pulaski Feb 9th 2020 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by beckiwoo (Post 12804265)
Another question for people that also hold a Canadian passport.

the application faqs talks about sending a photo colour page of any other valid passports from other countries. One guidance leaflet states on there to send them uk passport and any other valid passports (originals)

Please tell me I’m not sending them my Canadian passport as well. I don’t mind sending them a copy of my photo page from my Canadian passport but why do they need the actual document?

When I renewed my British passport a couple of years ago, I knew of this requirement, but in the end got in a bit of a rush, and decided to take my application with me and mail it while I was in the UK, and so completely, yes genuinely, forgot to include a copy of my US passport. .... But it didn't stop my new passport arriving back in the US eight days after it was mailed in the UK. :nod:

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12804322)
To keep tabs on you but they’ll issue your new passport either way.

Yup, exactly this! :nod:

beckiwoo Feb 10th 2020 3:45 pm

Thanks - I didn’t feel like handing them/sending them my Canadian passport

extra question: you said above that you sent yours in the UK. I’m guessing I could do the online stuff and then within a week or so after a arrive in the UK send my passport back within the UK and then wait for it to arrive back in Canada? Probably save a bit of money on courier fees and Royal Mail track and trace has always been reliable...