Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Differences between Canadian and British people

Differences between Canadian and British people

Old Jul 6th 2014, 8:58 pm

Porthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud of
Default Re: Differences between Canadian and British people

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
My parents were roughly in school at the same time as you and they lived in the UK from their early 40's and they have managed to deal with mm,cm, metres, degrees centigrade etc w/o blowing a gasket. A furlong is 660 feet.

My schooling in the UK was in metres, cm etc but then the road signs were all in miles and mph which didn't make a lot of sense. When I moved to Canada in 1981 it was all metric and in my job I only use metric measurements.

I am sorry to hear about the loss of your husband and I hope you can enjoy this forum but if you are going to go on the attack about people in Canada who don't speak english, use metric, cook foods with strong odours, be prepared for some responses. In terms of food with strong odours, many true blue Canadians (even those who speak english) are not crazy about the smell of kippers or roast lamb. To each his own.

I do however agree with you that if you live near Windsor that the nearby US offerings are not too appealing. The unfortunate part about Detroit is that many areas of the City itself are no go areas and then the suburbs could be anywhere USA.

In terms of sniping commenters, unfortunately you haven't received the ire of some of the more caustic ones on this site.
I'm not annoyed about the people who don't speak English, heaven forbid there are probably enough people in the U.K. who don't either. I have a grievance over this country Canada which peppered French everywhere. Non English speaking immigrants who come here have enough problems learning English which is far more important than learning French don't your think? English is used almost world wide. Unless you live in a country which basically only speak there own language on the whole e.g. France, Spain Italy
Germany etc. but even they can resort to English when the need arises as they are taught in school but not strewn all over their country. Did you mean I was fortunate in not having received more caustic remarks or as you said unfortunate? I suppose my first impression of Canada especially Toronto where we first were was just too big, overbearing to say the least I couldn't handle it and missed home so much.
Old Jul 6th 2014, 9:06 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
I have a sister in Belle River.
Is that a confession to murder
Old Jul 6th 2014, 9:08 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Porthcawl
I'm not annoyed about the people who don't speak English, heaven forbid there are probably enough people in the U.K. who don't either. I have a grievance over this country Canada which peppered French everywhere. Non English speaking immigrants who come here have enough problems learning English which is far more important than learning French don't your think? English is used almost world wide. Unless you live in a country which basically only speak there own language on the whole e.g. France, Spain Italy
Germany etc. but even they can resort to English when the need arises as they are taught in school but not strewn all over their country. Did you mean I was fortunate in not having received more caustic remarks or as you said unfortunate? I suppose my first impression of Canada especially Toronto where we first were was just too big, overbearing to say the least I couldn't handle it and missed home so much.

What's your view on Wales peppering ridiculous strings of consonants all over their road signs and requiring English speaking children to learn Welsh, a language with far less international reach that silly old French?
Old Jul 6th 2014, 9:09 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
Is that a confession to murder
No soliciting for business permitted on BE, Sir!
Old Jul 6th 2014, 9:09 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

You claimed upthread to be fluent (hah!) in three languages. Don't you think that's rather an advantage when judged against being unilingual in a unilingual country?

I'm sorry, but I remain to be convinced, after your initial barrage of poorly constructed ranting about official bilingualism and then a foray into bashing metric, that you're not an adolescent student at, shall we say, LSE seeking to mess with peoples heads. In short, a troll.

Another possibility of course is that you're fuchs01's wife cross-bred with dbd33's mother.

Last edited by Novocastrian; Jul 6th 2014 at 9:12 pm.
Old Jul 6th 2014, 9:12 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
You claimed upthread to be fluent (hah!) in three languages. Don't you think that's rather an advantage when judged against being unilingual in a unilingual country?

I'm sorry, but I remain to be convinced, after your initial barrage of poorly constructed ranting about official bilingualism and then a foray into bashing metric, that you're not an adolescent student at, shall we say, LSE seeking to mess with peoples heads. In short, a troll.

Another possibility of course is that you're Fuchs001's wife cross-bred with dbd33's mother.
Fuchs001, that's who I was thinking of.
Old Jul 6th 2014, 9:15 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Fuchs001, that's who I was thinking of.
Almost. fuchs01. I had to pop over to the German forum to check. Hence the edit.
Old Jul 6th 2014, 9:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Oops...meant to say 'fortunate' instead of 'unfortunate'.

Fundamentally, Canada is a bi-lingual country in which 59% of the population has English as their first language and 23% have French.....The 23% is hardly a small amount.

Is there a reason why people in France, Spain, Italy and Germany should be able to speak English, but English speaking people in Canada (and the UK) should not learn either French, Spanish, Italian or German.?

All the best
Old Jul 6th 2014, 11:00 pm

Porthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Shard
What's your view on Wales peppering ridiculous strings of consonants all over their road signs and requiring English speaking children to learn Welsh, a language with far less international reach that silly old French?

Welsh is quite a complex language and yes, it lacks vowels in may words and is quite difficult to pronounce for outsiders. Although I went to school in Newport Monmouthshire we were never taught Welsh either in primary-junior level or in High School. Monmouthshire is a county on the border of England and Wales and wasn't considered to be one or the other. However, English prevailed. I moved to the county of Glamorganshire which is the home of Cardiff the Capital of Wales. Porthcawl where I lived is a seaside resort and there Welsh is taught in schools but there was no bi-lingualism then. Not until the minority of die-hard Welsh speakers from West Wales started their ranting, but after all, Welsh is the language of the country of Wales so they really had every right to guard their language and heritage. I can read Welsh but for goodness sake don't ask me what I have just read as I took Welsh in school under sufferance. Over the last few years signs have now been erected in both languages but they have not gone as far as the obsessiveness of the French in Canada having it on every item of produce and piece of literature as the Government would not have that. No, Welsh is not spoken outside of Wales but there is actually a commune of Welsh speaking people in Patagonia- Argentina where a crowd of Welsh people went to for a new life in the 1800's when the coalmines were having such a hard time and it appeared Wales was going to be swallowed up by England which would have been a fate worse than death for the Welsh. There has always been animosity between the two countries especially when the Rugby International comes around.lol As for telephones, dial 1 for this and 2 for that there is only one answer - bring back the rotary 'phone.
Old Jul 6th 2014, 11:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

I believe most British government publications are available in several languages now, including Urdu.

With regard to Canadian pronunciations, we were surprised to work out that Dell-high actually appears as Delhi on the map.
Old Jul 6th 2014, 11:34 pm

Oops...meant to say 'fortunate' instead of 'unfortunate'.

Fundamentally, Canada is a bi-lingual country in which 59% of the population has English as their first language and 23% have French.....The 23% is hardly a small amount.

Is there a reason why people in France, Spain, Italy and Germany should be able to speak English, but English speaking people in Canada (and the UK) should not learn either French, Spanish, Italian or German.?

All the best
It is far more advantageous for a person with an otherwise English tongue to learn English as lets face it, it is the most widely used language in the world. The children in the U.K. have every opportunity to learn one or more of the languages you mentioned in school and I know a lot do take language courses even adults go to night school especially now with the EU and the opportunity of going to work in those countries. As you might have read in one of my quotes I speak two other languages but that was out of choice and not with pressure! This is not France it is Canada and if another language is to be used it should be from the First Nations. The only reason the people of the mentioned countries learn English is because they want to.
Old Jul 6th 2014, 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by Dashie
I believe most British government publications are available in several languages now, including Urdu.

With regard to Canadian pronunciations, we were surprised to work out that Dell-high actually appears as Delhi on the map.
That is true, one only has to request a publication in a language other than English then that person will be accommodated. Very obliging. With regard to Canadian pronunciations they are sad!
Old Jul 6th 2014, 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Almost. fuchs01. I had to pop over to the German forum to check. Hence the edit.
The attire you are dressed in on your picture, are you a French advocate or just extracting the michael?
Old Jul 6th 2014, 11:59 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

and here in Ottawa, they often refer to an east end community in Ottawa as

Glos-ses-ter and that community on the south side of Lake Simcoe as Kes wick and I have also heard Totten ham for the town near Orangeville. As well there is a football team called Full Ham
I have to correct them all the time out here. They can't say Listowel, though they live there and they can't manage Delhi nor MacDonnell either. This isn't a great country for spoken coherence.
Old Jul 7th 2014, 12:02 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Canada basically copies everything the US does so I always thought the switch over to metric was them being a bit obtuse.

Oh and Porthcawl, welcome to the site.
I believe Canada went metric because the Canadians thought the US was going to. They're not very worldly, the Canadians.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.