Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Differences between Canadian and British people

Differences between Canadian and British people

Old Jul 5th 2014, 3:39 am
BE Enthusiast

bc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Differences between Canadian and British people

London, UK: Fish, chips, cup of tea, bad food, worse weather, Mary Poppins
London, ON: Fish, chips, cup of tea, bad food, worse weather, Derek Venturi

(insert pop culture reference emoticon)

British food is actually very good though.
Old Jul 5th 2014, 3:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Porthcawl
Yes, the British and French were only allies in two world wars, after all... heard of the Entente Cordiale?

No never heard of that. translate please
Seriously? OK, quick history primer: UK and France have been friends and close allies since 1904 when we signed the Entente Cordiale (cordial understanding). French speakers in Canada have had their rights (language, worship) guaranteed by British then Canadian rule for centuries, which is one of the reasons the US colonies revolted (against 'the intolerable acts'). You, apparently, are a few hundred years behind the times.

When it comes to capital letters, it may also have been fashionable to pepper them at random through sentences as you do in the 1600s. These days, however, they begin sentences, and introduce proper nouns (names). Your scattergun approach, whilst.... creative... is reminiscent of a primary school child who has yet to learn what a proper noun is.
Old Jul 5th 2014, 4:07 am
BE Enthusiast

dishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
I must say I tend to agree with this, I don't think British people were always that way, its seemed to have gone that way in the last 20 years or so. I noticed this more so in my last visit just over a year ago, I couldn't believe how much more aggressive Brits are.
It's the Daily Mail culture. Rupert Murdoch and his tabloid vultures with their screeching, emotive headlines brought it in methinks
Old Jul 5th 2014, 4:07 am

Porthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid
Seriously? OK, quick history primer: UK and France have been friends and close allies since 1904 when we signed the Entente Cordiale (cordial understanding). French speakers in Canada have had their rights (language, worship) guaranteed by British then Canadian rule for centuries, which is one of the reasons the US colonies revolted (against 'the intolerable acts'). You, apparently, are a few hundred years behind the times.

When it comes to capital letters, it may also have been fashionable to pepper them at random through sentences as you do in the 1600s. These days, however, they begin sentences, and introduce proper nouns (names). Your scattergun approach, whilst.... creative... is reminiscent of a primary school child who has yet to learn what a proper noun is.
That's probably because I'm entering my second childhood Enjoy your life.
Old Jul 5th 2014, 4:18 am
BE Enthusiast

dishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, pre-debate era, I think this thread should be separated first provincially. Also find the street and office culture very different.
Old Jul 5th 2014, 6:05 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
I find the animosity between the English and French speakers in Canada quite funny and entertaining. The unabashed racism towards the native peoples is not, its shameful and very sad.
Is that not a somewhat patronising view?
Old Jul 5th 2014, 6:37 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_

The one thing that does get me is that immigrants to Québec have to go into french language schools, even if they're from English-speaking countries. Now that is idiotic.
Why is it idiotic? Quebec wants to preserve its linguistic identity in a massive English speaking North American sea. The Province encourages immigration (with incentives) but does not want to become a staging post for the rest of Canada/USA and endure a gradual expansion of uni lingual English speakers.
Old Jul 5th 2014, 10:46 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
The one thing that does get me is that immigrants to Québec have to go into french language schools, even if they're from English-speaking countries. Now that is idiotic.
Something similar happens here Steve. Ecole Ste. Anne, my son's school, is one of the best in the area, but Anglephones can't generally get in, except like us if the kid was born in France and attended all the primary years there, which gets my neighbours, with a kid the same age in French immersion, a bit cross. However the Koreans, Iranians and other non native English speakers that arrive in Fredericton nearly all get sent to Ecole Ste.Anne...the weird thing being, if they speak any foreign language at all it's normally English. It's frankly no picnic for the kid involved.
Old Jul 5th 2014, 10:56 am
BE user by choice

MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Porthcawl
That is something I would refuse to do point blank. I would move to another Province. Well, I think my time is up on this site so I'll just say. Grazie per le risposte, buonanotte e arrivaderci a tutti.
Is this a frequent habit of yours? Pop in, storm around, make bombastic statements and then fluff off...shows a certain lack of aplomb
Old Jul 5th 2014, 4:15 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Is that not a somewhat patronising view?
That I find the overt and unapologetic racism depressing?
Old Jul 5th 2014, 4:36 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by Oink
That I find the overt and unapologetic racism depressing?
I can see it being shameful. Sad/depressng not so sure, although perhaps just a figure of speech. I don't think we should be depressed about racist views I think we should be annoyed or angry about them.
Old Jul 5th 2014, 5:31 pm
BE user by choice

Originally Posted by Shard
I can see it being shameful. Sad/depressng not so sure, although perhaps just a figure of speech. I don't think we should be depressed about racist views I think we should be annoyed or angry about them.
You can get as mad as a bag of ferrets, but it isn't going to change anything. The iniquities and inequalities and the downright wrongness of so bloody much is not going to alter a fig by me being fractious.....people are apathetic on the whole, they think they can change nothing....and indeed given the scum bags who dare to call themselves our political representatives, who can blame them?

You are probably right Shard, we should be cross - but where and with whom?
Old Jul 5th 2014, 6:24 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by MillieF
You can get as mad as a bag of ferrets, but it isn't going to change anything. The iniquities and inequalities and the downright wrongness of so bloody much is not going to alter a fig by me being fractious.....people are apathetic on the whole, they think they can change nothing....and indeed given the scum bags who dare to call themselves our political representatives, who can blame them?

You are probably right Shard, we should be cross - but where and with whom?
With the racists...grrrrrr!
Old Jul 5th 2014, 7:37 pm
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by MillieF
Something similar happens here Steve. Ecole Ste. Anne, my son's school, is one of the best in the area, but Anglephones can't generally get in, except like us if the kid was born in France and attended all the primary years there, which gets my neighbours, with a kid the same age in French immersion, a bit cross. However the Koreans, Iranians and other non native English speakers that arrive in Fredericton nearly all get sent to Ecole Ste.Anne...the weird thing being, if they speak any foreign language at all it's normally English. It's frankly no picnic for the kid involved.
On reading this it comes across as discriminatory to the anglophone kids and their families.
Old Jul 5th 2014, 11:36 pm

Porthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jandro
On reading this it comes across as discriminatory to the anglophone kids and their families.
Couldn't resist this, what else do you expect from this francophone minority who have been allowed to more or less take over the country. Well you only have yourselves to blame for not making enough noise. That's what you get from becoming laid back Canadians. I'm talking about sticking up for yourselves
what about your rights?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.