Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Did you buy a house in Canada before you moved over instead of renting.

Did you buy a house in Canada before you moved over instead of renting.

Old Apr 19th 2011, 6:38 pm
So near yet so far.......

Rubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant future
Default Did you buy a house in Canada before you moved over instead of renting.

Having rented here in the UK since selling our house we are a bit loathed to rent again despite the obvious benefits of living in an area before you decide to buy.

With all the upheaval so far we both want to settle down again as quickly as possible and I have heard that usually rentals in Canada are for 12 months minimum , at that rate we still wouldn't be settled in a years time.

If you bought a house before you moved over do you have any top tips or good/bad experiences that you could impart? Buying without knowing an area goes against everything my head is telling me, yet my heart is telling me to do it! What do you think?
Old Apr 19th 2011, 6:46 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Did you buy a house in Canada before you moved over instead of renting.

Id always rent in an area first. Realtor fees and commisions here are no laughing matter if you get it wrong. Tens of thousands of dollars could be wasted.

If a year is too long consider a month or two in one of those convenience suit type hotels, or check out the local classifieds for short term options.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 6:53 pm
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

BTJ is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Did you buy a house in Canada before you moved over instead of renting.

Originally Posted by Rubie
Having rented here in the UK since selling our house we are a bit loathed to rent again despite the obvious benefits of living in an area before you decide to buy.

With all the upheaval so far we both want to settle down again as quickly as possible and I have heard that usually rentals in Canada are for 12 months minimum , at that rate we still wouldn't be settled in a years time.

If you bought a house before you moved over do you have any top tips or good/bad experiences that you could impart? Buying without knowing an area goes against everything my head is telling me, yet my heart is telling me to do it! What do you think?
Is it maybe possible to ask a landlord to include some sort of escape clause. So you can pay a fee in order to prematurely end the contract to cover the expense of advertising the rental again? No idea how this would go down, or if it is even possible, but I have (or more accurately had, luckily out of the initial 6 month contract now) in the UK such a clause.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 7:15 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

I did it. I came over for a weekend in February (we were moving at the end of May). Looked at a few condos, saw one I liked that I thought was too good to pass up and bought it (without OH seeing it even, except for pics). We'd moved out of our place in the UK into a rental and couldn't face another move.
We knew Toronto reasonably well though and knew what we were looking for.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 7:17 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lmartin999
We knew Toronto reasonably well though and knew what we were looking for.
Had you lived in TO before then? Id have to know an area pretty well before commiting to buy here knowing what it would cost to offload a property that turned out to be a wrongun.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 7:24 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

We did. Or, more to the point, I did. I came over on a recce about six months before we were due to move, took some advice from some people in the business, and put down a deposit on a yet to be built home on a new subdivision. The house was built and ready for us when we arrived.

It was very comforting during all the stresses of emigrating to know that we had a nice house waiting for us and the financial buffer to last several months if I couldn't find a job straight away.

Of course, Mrs JonboyE didn't like it from the start. Within six months of exploring she had decided that she wanted to live in White Rock. If I didn't want an expensive divorce I had better make that happen. The funny thing is that in six months you can put a lot of roots down. It took us several years to move. Fortunately, the advice I had received was good and the general strength of the real-estate market then meant that we made a fair amount of money on the house and the selling costs were incidental (if it is possible to think of $20,000+ to be incidental). However, we traded peace of mind during the initial move to several years of being unsettled knowing we were living in the wrong place.

I would always recommend someone rent for a year.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 7:26 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Fortunately, the advice I had received was good and the general strength of the real-estate market then meant that we made a fair amount of money on the house and the selling costs were incidental (if it is possible to think of $20,000+ to be incidental).
Im not sure there are too many markets in Canada where you could rely on that, and just on principal I hate to hand that much over to anyone, let alone a Realtor...
Old Apr 19th 2011, 7:31 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

I bought land and a house before having any sort of residency status. It worked out fine. YMMV, of course.

I rent property and restrict letting terms to a day under 6 months - that leaves me in control and prevents tenants from being able to sub-let.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 7:45 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Had you lived in TO before then? Id have to know an area pretty well before commiting to buy here knowing what it would cost to offload a property that turned out to be a wrongun.
We hadn't lived there, but knew the city quite well. We knew the area would work for us so it was just a matter of making sure everything was ok with the condo. Given what we were buying and where it wasn't really a gamble.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 8:18 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
We did. Or, more to the point, I did. I came over on a recce about six months before we were due to move, took some advice from some people in the business, and put down a deposit on a yet to be built home on a new subdivision. The house was built and ready for us when we arrived.

It was very comforting during all the stresses of emigrating to know that we had a nice house waiting for us and the financial buffer to last several months if I couldn't find a job straight away.

Of course, Mrs JonboyE didn't like it from the start. Within six months of exploring she had decided that she wanted to live in White Rock. If I didn't want an expensive divorce I had better make that happen. The funny thing is that in six months you can put a lot of roots down. It took us several years to move. Fortunately, the advice I had received was good and the general strength of the real-estate market then meant that we made a fair amount of money on the house and the selling costs were incidental (if it is possible to think of $20,000+ to be incidental). However, we traded peace of mind during the initial move to several years of being unsettled knowing we were living in the wrong place.

I would always recommend someone rent for a year.
hmm curious..where was this?
Old Apr 19th 2011, 8:22 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
hmm curious..where was this?
The subdivision was called Cloverwoods. Fraser Hwy and 184th in Surrey.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 8:24 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

We bought soon after we moved here and it was a mistake. The house was ok, the street was OK but it wasn't home. We moved after 2 years and it cost $$$. The house and location we have now is lovely. Small but lovely.

I wish we had rented for a year or so before buying.

Do you have jobs to come to? As that will heavily influence where you end up living.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 9:13 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

We arrived Dec 2008 and rented since, we have now bought a house, we move in May 31, 2011.

I had no idea of areas, crime rates, schools, stores, soccer clubs (for da kid) transport links, 401 access, lake access, ect ect.

Only by renting will you then have a good idea of where you would like to sekkle.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

edmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud of

I have had several years experience with renting with a company called boardwalk before i came to live in the UK (because I was single lol ) and can recommend them, We will be renting for a while when we return to Edmonton.

Currently they have a lease of Four, Six and twelve month lease terms which are available to new and existing residents.
So at least you could rent for a short time while deciding if its where you want to be.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 9:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

London Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rubie

I would be sure where you want to live before buying. First time buying is ok, but 2nd time buying is expensive with land transfer tax etc.

This issue is made even more paramount of you hjave kids and need to consider school districts. Post codes dicate your school, on the whole.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.