Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

did anyone pack their own container? have Q's

did anyone pack their own container? have Q's

Old Feb 23rd 2006, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

stubby1974 has a spectacular aura aboutstubby1974 has a spectacular aura aboutstubby1974 has a spectacular aura about
Default did anyone pack their own container? have Q's

been given a really good quote from a shipper who says that if we pack our own stuff all will be ok (they'll pack into the 20ft container)

did you just pack and list everything in every box ie box 14 - 60 books, box 15 - 20 kids toys etc...

was everything ok through customs ? what should we know/expect etc?

any advice would be appreciatted

thanks
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 10:30 am
Forum Regular

glenlivet is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: did anyone pack their own container? have Q's

No experience (yet) but would be keen to know which shipper this is and how you get on.

Cheers
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 10:40 am
Forum Regular

stubby1974 has a spectacular aura aboutstubby1974 has a spectacular aura aboutstubby1974 has a spectacular aura about

£2,800 for container shipping
£200 for them to load container from storage
4 weeks free then £50 a week sotrage after that

only thing is you have to pay customs at other end which is about $300 to $400 apparently but am still looking into that

only problem for people not doing the stoagre bit ie laoding straight into contrianer and straight to ship, is they only give 2 hours to load in uk and 2 hours to unload in canada.

but we're not direct to ship, we're storing first and they are fine to collect all our stuff for free and storage at their warehouse and then charge us £200 to load it into the container before shipping...

Gaz @ Advance Forwarding Ltd - Derby
Tel: (+44) (0) 1332-865656
E-mail: [email protected]
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 11:31 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Last year my other half's stuff arrived, having been in storage since she arrived here in May 2004. It was a truck load of boxes, most of them inventoried as being just "PBO", that is, packed by owner. Customs were fine with this, they didn't ask what was in them. I hope that's not typical but the removal company people thought it was.
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 10:45 pm
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light

We packed our container ourselves as we bought ours. Everything was put in boxes which were numbered and we had lists of what was in every box. On the outside of the boxes we taped the Box No. so that they were the same as the list. We did not count items, purely listed them as; toys, CD's, books, TV (with serial numbers), clothes etc..

We had no trouble with Customs with any of our boxes - all they wanted to do was to get the car out and fumigate it.......of course it was right at the back of the container . That was a bit irritating as we already had the whole container fumigated in the UK before it was sealed, and we had documents proving this. However it was just a set-back of a couple of days so no big deal.
Old Feb 26th 2006, 8:25 pm
Just Joined

complete_mad_house is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Do you mind me asking how much it cost to have the car / container fumigated. We will be bringing two cars with us in 2007 in one container. Then another car will follow in 2009 when it reaches 15 years old. We were planning on having the cars steam cleaned before they go into the container, but is this enough?

Thanks

Sarah

Originally Posted by Tiaribbon
We packed our container ourselves as we bought ours. Everything was put in boxes which were numbered and we had lists of what was in every box. On the outside of the boxes we taped the Box No. so that they were the same as the list. We did not count items, purely listed them as; toys, CD's, books, TV (with serial numbers), clothes etc..

We had no trouble with Customs with any of our boxes - all they wanted to do was to get the car out and fumigate it.......of course it was right at the back of the container . That was a bit irritating as we already had the whole container fumigated in the UK before it was sealed, and we had documents proving this. However it was just a set-back of a couple of days so no big deal.
Old May 29th 2006, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

suebed is a name known to allsuebed is a name known to allsuebed is a name known to allsuebed is a name known to allsuebed is a name known to allsuebed is a name known to allsuebed is a name known to allsuebed is a name known to allsuebed is a name known to allsuebed is a name known to allsuebed is a name known to all

So packing your own container is feasible then is it? We've had a quote for £2400 for a 40' container - pack ourself. 4 hours to load/unload. Insurance only if container goes overboard.

Like the price.
Size seems overkill.
Don't like the lack of insurance but my fault if things get broken I guess.

Does anybody forsee any snags?

Is 20' container enough for furniture/stuff for family of 5 - 4 bed house? We're taking most of our stuff as can't afford to replace.

Thanks
Old May 29th 2006, 12:28 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by suebed
So packing your own container is feasible then is it? We've had a quote for £2400 for a 40' container - pack ourself. 4 hours to load/unload. Insurance only if container goes overboard.

Like the price.
Size seems overkill.
Don't like the lack of insurance but my fault if things get broken I guess.

Does anybody forsee any snags?

Is 20' container enough for furniture/stuff for family of 5 - 4 bed house? We're taking most of our stuff as can't afford to replace.

Thanks
If you think you can load/unload a 40' container (even a 20' one) in four hours, you're being a tad optimistic. When we last moved house it took three movers over half a day to load half a 40' container and they weren't hanging about. That was after two of them had spent the entire previous day packing everything into boxes.

As for insurance, I wouldn't be too worried about the container going over the side. I'd be more concerned about stuff being nicked from it. It does happen. In any case, you should always make sure that the valuable stuff goes on first (farther from the doors, so harder to nick).
Old Jun 1st 2006, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

fester is a jewel in the roughfester is a jewel in the roughfester is a jewel in the roughfester is a jewel in the roughfester is a jewel in the rough

Hi, we have just bought our own shipping container and have started packing. Please could you let me know which shipper you used and what price you were given for shipping.

thanks
Old Jun 1st 2006, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

The Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of light

Hi - we're not taking as much as a container, just shipping about 3 cubic metres. We've packed ourselves, and are having it palletised.

Only comment I'd make about packing yourself is that you can't get anything insured if it hasn't been 'professionally packed' - apart from for complete loss (in case ship sinks/container gets lost etc), so if anything breaks or 'goes missing' then it's tough. (We found this out after we'd finished packing all our boxes with the help of my folks, who I think are probably more careful than most 'professional' packers!)
Old Jun 1st 2006, 9:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond repute

This thread is very interesting, as a former logistics manager i thought it appropiate to add the following

Firstly as none of you are known shippers you will pay more for your containers.

Customs charges are normaly on the ammount on the shipping invoice, your packing list will give them an idea of this

The time to load and unload a container is down to demurrage, if you go above the time you will pay dearly, plan it well. Also you can load a 40teu in 4hrs i know because i've seen it done, but think on this, your probably used to loading something thats going by road - the sea is a hell of a lot rougher, do you want to risk your valubles.

fao Com Mad house - take pictures of your cars let the freight forwarder/ shipper know you have pictures of the vehicle/s as they've been loaded, these will help if things go wrong which they do on docks very easily.

Fester - becareful you are at the mercy of the shippers as its your own container. Containers are normally sold off when their nearing the end of their life ( hopefully this isn't the case with yours ) and are full of holes. Also what terms are you shipping it on, what insurance cover will you have because your container could damage someone else's :scared: :scared: andyou could be liable. My advise use a freight forwarder.

Sorry if i've deppressed a few of you but i thought you should find out b4 instead of i told you so
Old Jun 3rd 2006, 1:24 pm
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by fester
Hi, we have just bought our own shipping container and have started packing. Please could you let me know which shipper you used and what price you were given for shipping.

thanks
The shipper we used was Hapag Lloyd; however it was supposed to be going with OOCL, but it missed it's shipment so had to go with Hapag instead. Hapag were awful!! The UK Hapag told us it was fine to transport the container door to door delivery, once container arrived in Montreal, the Hapag there told us that they could not do a door to door so it was an inconvenience trying to find a shipping company to deliver it to our property. We ended up having to rent a huge crane to get the container off the truck.

The shipping was around £3,500 for the container and the container (40ft) cost us £800 to buy. Still isn't unloaded even though it arrived a year ago!
Old Jun 3rd 2006, 1:27 pm
Premium Member

Originally Posted by complete_mad_house
Hi

Do you mind me asking how much it cost to have the car / container fumigated. We will be bringing two cars with us in 2007 in one container. Then another car will follow in 2009 when it reaches 15 years old. We were planning on having the cars steam cleaned before they go into the container, but is this enough?

Thanks

Sarah
Sorry I don't remember the exact price but it was no more than a few hundred dollars to have the container fumigated. I think it was just over £100 for the UK fumigation.
Old Jun 3rd 2006, 2:29 pm
Chilled out Cheshire Cat

Garfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud of

I've read all these threads on shipping before and it still confuses me why you all want to spend £3000+ for shipping and all the hassles it involves, fumigation, cranes, etc. I can understand if someone has classic cars or a precious collection of some sort but not for anything else, we'll just be selling the whole lot and bringing our essentials that can be transported in the suitcases, a lot less hassle in our eyes.
Old Jun 3rd 2006, 2:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry I don't remember the exact price but it was no more than a few hundred dollars to have the container fumigated. I think it was just over £100 for the UK fumigation.

Your lucky to have the space to store a 40' container, it would be an interesting way to meet new neighbours

If any of you are shipping your own containers and are fortunate not to get search by customs, please check wether the container is self venting, if not allow 2hrs of venting b4 unloading. Effects of fumigation are shortness of breath / appearing drunk / light headed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.