Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Diary of our move to Canada

Diary of our move to Canada

Old May 15th 2018, 4:04 pm
No beginning to my talent

crofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Diary of our move to Canada

Originally Posted by glendem4
Canada is trialing an emergency alert system. We got a shock yesterday when our cellphones started beeping and a warning message was played on loudspeaker. It was interesting to see this in action, especially out shopping when everyone's phones started beeping at the same time.
We experienced this for the first time the other day as well. We had just started driving over the Hillsborough Bridge in Charlottetown when our phones started beeping at full volume! Scared the living cr*p out of us because we initially thought there was something wrong with the car.
Old May 16th 2018, 10:29 am
BE Enthusiast

glendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond repute

Day 13 Tailored for a suit and smooth Jazz

On Thursday I have my first job interview in Canada. Converting my CV to a Canadian resume seems to have had the desired impact. As all my suits are in transit from the UK, I went downtown to the Eaton centre to buy a new outfit. Good quality men's suits cost around $600. Luckily, The Hudson Bay had a 60% sale on and I managed to pick up a good quality dark pinstriped suit for under $250. The trousers (pants) are not tapered normally over here in Canada. Hudson Bay were quoting 10 days to get the trouser length altered. Thanks to the Internet, I managed to find a great tailor on 211 Yonge street opposite the Eaton centre called Magic Tailor. Magic was the right word, within 15 minutes they had taken my measurements, altered the trousers and all for the wonderful price of $10. I will definitely be back in future.

On the way home I found a cool Jazz bar on 194 Queen st west called Rex. Young musicians were trialing out. The standard of music was excellent and very enjoyable to listen. It was a sticky humid day in Toronto after the early morning rain. A cold organic Mill st brewery beer helped. Beer prices are expensive compared to UK. Average pint is $8.50 downtown which is roughly £5 in today's money.

Had some more good news on our shipment. Goods sailed on 10 May and are due in Toronto on 15 June. That's less than 8 weeks from the day Britannia International removals picked up our items on 24 April.......

Last edited by glendem4; May 16th 2018 at 10:32 am.
Old May 16th 2018, 5:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond repute

Day 13 Tailored for a suit and smooth Jazz

On Thursday I have my first job interview in Canada. Converting my CV to a Canadian resume seems to have had the desired impact. As all my suits are in transit from the UK, I went downtown to the Eaton centre to buy a new outfit. Good quality men's suits cost around $600. Luckily, The Hudson Bay had a 60% sale on and I managed to pick up a good quality dark pinstriped suit for under $250. The trousers (pants) are not tapered normally over here in Canada. Hudson Bay were quoting 10 days to get the trouser length altered. Thanks to the Internet, I managed to find a great tailor on 211 Yonge street opposite the Eaton centre called Magic Tailor. Magic was the right word, within 15 minutes they had taken my measurements, altered the trousers and all for the wonderful price of $10. I will definitely be back in future.

On the way home I found a cool Jazz bar on 194 Queen st west called Rex. Young musicians were trialing out. The standard of music was excellent and very enjoyable to listen. It was a sticky humid day in Toronto after the early morning rain. A cold organic Mill st brewery beer helped. Beer prices are expensive compared to UK. Average pint is $8.50 downtown which is roughly £5 in today's money.

Had some more good news on our shipment. Goods sailed on 10 May and are due in Toronto on 15 June. That's less than 8 weeks from the day Britannia International removals picked up our items on 24 April.......
And, in my experience at least, it has to be an Irish pub where you get a proper UK sized pint. Ounces... I mean, what does ounces tell anybody? When the alcohol is involved, best keep it simple.
Old May 17th 2018, 4:01 pm
Forum Regular

MelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks glendem4. I've really enjoyed your diary and it's been very helpful in learning what we might expect when we make our move (albeit to BC). The stuff about landlords wanting paper cheques has amused me somewhat. I spoke to my Canadian inlaws about this and they said "Oh yeah, that's often the way it's done". Quaint. Even 20 years ago in London we were required to set up a standing order from our cheque account to pay our rent. Same when we came back to Australia - everything was done automatically.

Please do keep up with the updates.
Old May 18th 2018, 9:55 am
BE Enthusiast

glendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond repute

Days 14-15 Banks, Rugs and Interviews

On Wednesday morning we went to our local TD Canada Trust Bank to open a Tax Free Savings account (TFSA). Not as generous as an ISA in the UK. Can only contribute $5,500 per year, but over 10 years a couple could shelter $110,000 from the tax man. Be careful when opening the account as the bank will by default invest your money into one of their mutual funds. Make sure you make the bank aware that you want a trading account TFSA if you want to choose your own funds, ETFs or individual stocks.

In the afternoon we went shopping for rugs on Danforth Ave. There are loads of carpet places in Danforth village by Main St subway. Most are run by immigrants from Asia, especially Afgan. Whatever you do, do not accept the first price. We were looking for 3 rugs of various sizes. We found a carpet 12x14 feet and asked it to be cut. First quote was $620, then quickly rounded down to $500. We said we think about it and come back later. On our second visit after a bit of haggling we agreed to pay $300 plus tax at 13% = $339. Both parties were happy as our carpet sales person wanted the business and to clear stock that was not selling.

On Thursday I attended my first interview in Canada with RBC bank. The offices look like a time capsule from the 1980s. No open plan Google style layout. Think office set up in the film "Working Girl" with Melanie Griffith and Harrison Ford. Everyone was too focused on their cellphone and "busy" scheduling back to back meetings. Suffice to say the person who met me was late and the interviewer turned up 15 mins late due to another meeting over run. More interviews to follow next week, hopefully better organised......

Old May 18th 2018, 7:10 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

On Wednesday morning we went to our local TD Canada Trust Bank to open a Tax Free Savings account (TFSA). Not as generous as an ISA in the UK. Can only contribute $5,500 per year, but over 10 years a couple could shelter $110,000 from the tax man. Be careful when opening the account as the bank will by default invest your money into one of their mutual funds. Make sure you make the bank aware that you want a trading account TFSA if you want to choose your own funds, ETFs or individual stocks.

In the afternoon we went shopping for rugs on Danforth Ave. There are loads of carpet places in Danforth village by Main St subway. Most are run by immigrants from Asia, especially Afgan. Whatever you do, do not accept the first price. We were looking for 3 rugs of various sizes. We found a carpet 12x14 feet and asked it to be cut. First quote was $620, then quickly rounded down to $500. We said we think about it and come back later. On our second visit after a bit of haggling we agreed to pay $300 plus tax at 13% = $339. Both parties were happy as our carpet sales person wanted the business and to clear stock that was not selling.

On Thursday I attended my first interview in Canada with RBC bank. The offices look like a time capsule from the 1980s. No open plan Google style layout. Think office set up in the film "Working Girl" with Melanie Griffith and Harrison Ford. Everyone was too focused on their cellphone and "busy" scheduling back to back meetings. Suffice to say the person who met me was late and the interviewer turned up 15 mins late due to another meeting over run. More interviews to follow next week, hopefully better organised......

1. In a TFSA you are only sheltering the interest/income generated by the TFSA.
Old May 19th 2018, 11:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Days 16-17 signing a lease, Vets, Dog licence and curry

On Friday we registered our dogs with a local vet on the corner of Main/Gerrard st. We asked quite a few local dog owners who they used as a Vet and Dr Pepper Jones was mentioned frequently. The staff at the clinic were very helpful and warned about the local tick problem in East York, especially down by the creek and Don valley. Next week we will go in and get the dogs fully protected. As soon as we registered with the Vet, we contacted Toronto Dog licences and provided the chip numbers and dates the dogs were vaccinated for rabies. Within 2 weeks the licence people will mail the dog tags which need to be displayed on the dog collar while out in public. Toronto charge $25 per year for a licence. In Barrie you pay a one off fee.

After an early morning start to watch the Royal wedding, we decided to have a quiet day at home as it was cold and very wet on Saturday. First day of heavy rain for 2 weeks. Since we have been here the weather has been great with many sunny blue sky days above 20c. The local weather stations are predicting a hot summer with the temp above 20c all summer until the start of fall on 22 September. Next week it is predicted to be wall to wall sunshine and get to 27c by Friday 25 May in Toronto.

Monday is a public holiday, Victoria Day in Canada and the unofficial start of the summer season when white clothes can be seen.

we discovered an amazing Indian restaurant on 1460 Gerrard East Street called Udupi Palace. If you ever go to little India in the Beaches you should definitely give the place a try.......

Last edited by glendem4; May 19th 2018 at 11:38 pm.
Old May 20th 2018, 3:56 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

By default, TFSA funds are held in a cash account, unless the client asks for a different investment.
Old May 28th 2018, 11:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

20 - 27 May a week discovering Toronto.

The weather has been amazing all week Toronto, apart from Tuesday 22 May, with temperatures in the high 25-29c.
We had an interesting experience on the Tuesday with our local TD Canada Trust bank, corner of Danforth and Victoria Park. There were 5 police cars parked outside with a cordon around the bank. Apparently there was a bank robbery in progress. Nothing exciting, just a guy pushed a note to a teller asking for money.

Toronto has so many things going on. Nowtoronto.com and blogto.com are two good sites that list all entertainment in the city. Last weekend Toronto celebrated open doors with all the museums and entertainment venues open and free to the public. Today, Toronto celebrated Cycle to work with over 3000 cyclists hitting the road an heading for city hall. The cops closed off the major roads and we cycled down Yonge street without any traffic slowing us down. Very similar to London UK when they close the roads on a Sunday in September.

The beaches are a leisurely stroll downhill from us. Queen street east is very cosmopolitan with lots of places to eat and shop. Petsmart, a dog store, even has ice cream for dogs, which our 3 loved. The ice cream is soya based and actually very tasty, as we both could not resist.

Job market is slow. Need to do more networking. Although not in a hurry to get a job until later this summer, as there is so much still to do. Still need to get OHIP sorted and change driving licence.

Currently sorting out brokerage accounts, so that we can trade shares and buy etfs. National Bank of Canada offered free trades on lots of 100 or more on all etfs. Qtrade offer free trading on 100 specific etfs. Will update further when we have our accounts open and active........

Last edited by glendem4; May 28th 2018 at 11:02 pm.
Old Jun 2nd 2018, 11:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Street parties/ festivals all Over Toronto this weekend...

Eats Beats in the east side of town on Queen st east. Go to Ossington subway and take a bus south
http://www.riverside-to.com/wp-conte...IGITAL24PG.pdf

Dundas West festival on the west side of town. Go to Broadview subway an take a bus south.
DUNDAS WEST FEST – A celebration of arts, community and everything local.

Here are 10 more things to do in addition today.
https://www.blogto.com/radar/2018/06...o-june-2-2018/

Spoilt for choice!

Last edited by glendem4; Jun 2nd 2018 at 12:06 pm.
Old Jun 2nd 2018, 4:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Street parties/ festivals all Over Toronto this weekend...

Eats Beats in the east side of town on Queen st east. Go to Ossington subway and take a bus south
http://www.riverside-to.com/wp-conte...IGITAL24PG.pdf

Dundas West festival on the west side of town. Go to Broadview subway an take a bus south.
DUNDAS WEST FEST – A celebration of arts, community and everything local.

Here are 10 more things to do in addition today.
https://www.blogto.com/radar/2018/06...o-june-2-2018/

Spoilt for choice!
Buskerfest in the real Dundas if you fancy a trip out of the city....
Old Jun 5th 2018, 5:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

28 May - 5 June
Today we got some great news from the UK. We exchanged contracts on our house and completion date has been set for Friday 22 June. Now we need Brexit issues to be resolved and the pound sterling to climb back to $1.84 last seen in March 2018. Can't see it trading much more than its current level of $1.73 for the next few months.

The weather has been super hot here in Toronto for May. Last Day of May on Thursday it reached 31c but felt like 36c with humidity. It would be the one day I was wearing a dark suit for an interview at a start up company on college st. If I had only known they were very casual in their set up and I could have literally turned up in a t shirt and shorts. I had another interview yesterday, on Monday 4th June downtown, but thankfully the weather has turned cooler, only 19c and cloudy. May weather in June and June weather in May.

Last Wednesday evening I joined a cycle club as part of bikemonth.ca Toronto goes cycle friendly all month. We cycled from Riverdale to High Park and back along the shore line. 25km in 1.5 hours was enough for me. The town of Toronto closed the Don valley parkway so that cyclists could cycle on the road all Sunday (3rd June).

There are farmers markets every day in Toronto in the summer. A local one to us at Leslieville has craft ale as well as loads of food stalls and live music every Sunday from 09:00-14:00. A great way to enjoy a Sunday brunch, especially when it is sunny and warm outside.

Finally got my OHIP health card sorted at Ontario Services on 777 Bay st. Brought my PR card, signed lease as proof of address and a credit card to get the Health card. I was hoping to swap my driving licence at the same time, but I forgot to bring my passport. Swapping a UK drivers licence requires a UK passport or an Ontario Health card as proof of signature. Lesson learned, won't do that again. Until next time........
Old Jun 5th 2018, 8:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

The town of Toronto closed the Don valley parkway so that cyclists could cycle on the road all Sunday (3rd June).
Word of warning...dont' refer to it as a 'Town' to the locals who think that Toronto is a "World Class" City.

Glad to see you're getting settled in.

Your next step should be to try and cadge a weekend away at somebody's cottage to escape the "Town"..however be warned that many of those seemingly idyllic weekends come with lots of jobs that the owners have been saving up for visitors to help them out with.
Old Jun 6th 2018, 11:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

6 June
More good news today, after 3 interviews at various Banks in downtown Toronto, I got the call that one would like to offer a 6 month contract. Now in the process of setting up a company in Canada and opening a business bank account. RBC offer free business banking for small companies who do the majority of their business online. Going to speak to an accountant tomorrow.
In corporation is very quick only takes 2 hours online and costs $360 plus tax. Need to get a HST number (think VAT number in UK) next.......
Old Jun 7th 2018, 2:13 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

6 June
More good news today, after 3 interviews at various Banks in downtown Toronto, I got the call that one would like to offer a 6 month contract. Now in the process of setting up a company in Canada and opening a business bank account. RBC offer free business banking for small companies who do the majority of their business online. Going to speak to an accountant tomorrow.
In corporation is very quick only takes 2 hours online and costs $360 plus tax. Need to get a HST number (think VAT number in UK) next.......
Congratulations!!! It’s all falling in to place!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.