Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Diabetes and emigrating

Diabetes and emigrating

Old Jun 16th 2012, 12:37 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Diabetes and emigrating

I just want to reassure people who like me are/were worried about having the medicals when a member of the family has diabetes.

My husband is type II on insulin. The doctor advised that it didn't matter what level his sugars were at, CIC wouldn't be interested. What apparently is important is that he has a clear kidney xray. (Only done today so we won't know for a while).

So from panic I am feeling quite relaxed now. Just need to start waiting again for the next step!!
Old Jun 16th 2012, 6:35 am
Forum Regular

reeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud of
Default Re: Diabetes and emigrating

Originally Posted by DandNHill
I just want to reassure people who like me are/were worried about having the medicals when a member of the family has diabetes.

My husband is type II on insulin. The doctor advised that it didn't matter what level his sugars were at, CIC wouldn't be interested. What apparently is important is that he has a clear kidney xray. (Only done today so we won't know for a while).

So from panic I am feeling quite relaxed now. Just need to start waiting again for the next step!!
to all the peeps who are planning to move there - the only thing to remember:

Meds!!
My cousin (UK) and my Dad(Canada) both have severe type 2 diabetes.
the difference is NHS pays for everything my cousin needs and in Canada OHIP does not cover a thing.

My dad's meds and supplies cost (before privately paid healthcare ie Bupa) are around 400-600 dollars a month. Remember when moving into Canada to check this type of thing, it can make a big hole in any budget.

But good luck and have fun :-)
Old Jun 16th 2012, 10:26 am
Wales to Saskatoon!

JulieLord is just really niceJulieLord is just really niceJulieLord is just really niceJulieLord is just really niceJulieLord is just really niceJulieLord is just really niceJulieLord is just really niceJulieLord is just really nice

Originally Posted by reeni
to all the peeps who are planning to move there - the only thing to remember:

Meds!!
My cousin (UK) and my Dad(Canada) both have severe type 2 diabetes.
the difference is NHS pays for everything my cousin needs and in Canada OHIP does not cover a thing.

My dad's meds and supplies cost (before privately paid healthcare ie Bupa) are around 400-600 dollars a month. Remember when moving into Canada to check this type of thing, it can make a big hole in any budget.

But good luck and have fun :-)
Thanks for this information. I have Type 2 and will be moving over in the Fall. I did not realise this and thought it would have been covered ! so,

Can someone also tell me if diabetics get annual Diabetic checks etc over there? I also get flu jab over here in the UK which my GP says I should get being a diabetic..

Any other information on this would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Julie
Old Jun 16th 2012, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

reeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JulieLord
Thanks for this information. I have Type 2 and will be moving over in the Fall. I did not realise this and thought it would have been covered ! so,

Can someone also tell me if diabetics get annual Diabetic checks etc over there? I also get flu jab over here in the UK which my GP says I should get being a diabetic..

Any other information on this would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Julie
it can be a shock. it is also different coverage per province. OHIP is Ontario. where as the NHS is national

My son's prescription for medicine he takes: monthly cost in UK: free (he is 13 yrs)
the exact same pills in Canada $75 per month before private health care. My hubby has a really good plan thru his work and he pays a overall monthly cost off of his paycheck. But we generally spend alot more than comes off his paycheck.

I can ask my Dad for more info if no one on here pipes up.

:-)
Old Jun 16th 2012, 10:37 am
Wales to Saskatoon!

JulieLord is just really niceJulieLord is just really niceJulieLord is just really niceJulieLord is just really niceJulieLord is just really niceJulieLord is just really niceJulieLord is just really niceJulieLord is just really nice

Originally Posted by reeni
it can be a shock.

My son's prescription for medicine he takes: monthly cost in UK: free (he is 13 yrs)
the exact same pills in Canada $75 per month before private health care. My hubby has a really good plan thru his work and he pays a overall monthly cost off of his paycheck. But we generally spend alot more than comes off his paycheck.

I can ask my Dad for more info if no one on here pipes up.

:-)
Thanks so much, that would be helpful...

I currently 1000mg Metformin twice a day, 1 Januvia a day and 1 Simvastatin a day..

I don't know how to go about all of this. I spoke to my GP and he has said he will give me 3 months supply of my meds to start, and this will cover the period I can't get Healthcare. My Boss has told me I will have healthcare after 90 days, so how does it work? Do I pay for the meds initially and claim back a portion on my healthcare??? sorry, but not sure how this all works.

We are coming over on the Saskatchewan Immigrant Nominee Programme, and whilst I am working the PR process will start.

Also, can someone advise what sort of Insurance I may need to take out for the first 3 months were there and which companies are the best?

so many questions, and sorry if I have baffled anyone? lol
Old Jun 16th 2012, 12:37 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

I currently 1000mg Metformin twice a day, 1 Januvia a day and 1 Simvastatin a day..

I don't know how to go about all of this. I spoke to my GP and he has said he will give me 3 months supply of my meds to start, and this will cover the period I can't get Healthcare. My Boss has told me I will have healthcare after 90 days, so how does it work? Do I pay for the meds initially and claim back a portion on my healthcare??? sorry, but not sure how this all works.It much depends on the pharmacist used. In my case he's hooked up electronically to the insurer so no action on my part except ordering and picking up. Otherwise yes, you pay the pharmacist and submit claim to insurer for reimbursement.

We are coming over on the Saskatchewan Immigrant Nominee Programme, and whilst I am working the PR process will start.

Also, can someone advise what sort of Insurance I may need to take out for the first 3 months were there and which companies are the best?
Go here for list of recommended insurers. http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Medica...edicare_starts

Good Luck.

Last edited by Auld Yin; Jun 16th 2012 at 12:40 pm.
Old Jun 16th 2012, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

I don't know how to go about all of this. I spoke to my GP and he has said he will give me 3 months supply of my meds to start, and this will cover the period I can't get Healthcare. My Boss has told me I will have healthcare after 90 days, so how does it work? Do I pay for the meds initially and claim back a portion on my healthcare??? sorry, but not sure how this all works.

Each company offers different programs. some you have to pay first then claim back - other you get a card and it is covered right at the till, but not every pharmacy has that system set up. Most Wal Marts do i think. Some companies cover different percents too. ours is 100% - my dads is 60%

The GP may not be able to exactly match your prescription so you may have to switch after a bit. My dad was just over in the UK and ran out in the last couple of days of one of his and they did not have the same thing that worked the same way. So he was just extra extra careful. Needless to say he got it in the ear from my mom when he got back to Canada.
Old Jun 16th 2012, 3:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

It costs my OH about $75 per month. The rest is paid for directly by the healthcare company.
We're in NS and have cover through his work. I believe it's with Manulife. The other staff have said that it's not a good policy and used to be better with the previous company so OH, the boss, is looking at changing it anyway. So as a worst case scenario you might pay $75 or so...
Old Jun 16th 2012, 3:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

nativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to behold

Hi, here in BC I get a 6 monthly review with my GP. You also get retinopathy screening annually. Metformin is not too expensive, it's insulin that costs a lot and test strips. Metformin costs approx $30 for 3 months supply,but I only pay a portion of that.
The flu jab is free and also free for family members who live with you.
Hope that helps.
Sally
Old Jun 17th 2012, 4:26 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

There are several threads on here that both I and Almost Canadian have commented in because we're both diabetic, look them up for more info.
Old Jun 17th 2012, 4:21 pm
Wales to Saskatoon!

Thanks to all of you who have replied...

It gives me some idea what I need to do and I shall look up on the forum for other threads relating to this as advised.

Thanks again

Julie
Old Jun 18th 2012, 1:00 pm
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

As diabetes needs regular checks and of course medicine, I wondered if anyone has experience with asthma medication and check ups in Canada?

Thanks

Mike
Old Jun 18th 2012, 1:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
There are several threads on here that both I and Almost Canadian have commented in because we're both diabetic, look them up for more info.
^^^^^^^
I second this.

The one thing worth noticing ist that Lantus is now covered by Blue Cross. That was a very welcome surprise when I last had my prescription filled.

To the OP. In my experience, diabetics are expected to seek their own checkups here. In England, I attended screening at my local hospital where they performed HbA1C (or whatever it is called) screening twice a year and checked my eyes during each visit. Simply, that does not happen over here unless you request it.

I haven't ever had my eyes checked (been here 5 1/2 years) and I attend blood test when they are required (usually, when I need to obtain a new prescription or when my driving licence is up for renewal). Which brings me to another point: In Alberta at least, the length of time your licence will be valid for will depend upon the whim of the administrator that grants it. When I first arrived, my lastest blood score was all that was really looked at and I was given a 2 year licence (normally they are for 5 years), the next time I had an identical blood score and was given a 1 year licence, the next time, again, identical blood score and was given a 3 year one. Totally bizarre!
Old Jun 18th 2012, 6:10 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

They changed that reg in February, now has to be a full five year licence or they have to kick it back to Edmonton for a ruling.
Old Sep 4th 2012, 6:10 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
The one thing worth noticing ist that Lantus is now covered by Blue Cross. That was a very welcome surprise when I last had my prescription filled.
And... better yet... they now cover blood glucose test strips: http://alberta.ca/acn/201202/3195586...A5E21CE55.html

Up to $600 anyway, but that should be a few months supply at least.

Although I suppose this now means AHCIP are going to start asking questions about your usage so they can ration the things like they do with insulin.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.