Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Diabetes and Canada

Diabetes and Canada

Old Aug 12th 2017, 4:24 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Diabetes and Canada

Originally Posted by ann m
Slight thread drift for anyone in the U.K. - is anyone using the Freestyle Libre? It's the patch you stick on you upper arm and you just wave the meter over it and get a sugar reading by bluetooth. Daughter's endo mentioned it (but not available in Canada yet) and I'm in UK at the moment and was thinking of buying one - but each patch only lasts a few weeks and seems expensive (£50+ each?)
How many weeks is a few?

If it's 4 and testing 4 times daily, that's the equivalent of 112 test strips which would cost around $95 which is around £57.

You'd save $10 on lancets too.
Old Aug 12th 2017, 5:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
How many weeks is a few?

If it's 4 and testing 4 times daily, that's the equivalent of 112 test strips which would cost around $95 which is around £57.

You'd save $10 on lancets too.
I think each sensor only stays on for 14 days and they are £57.95 each. That seems a lot (the monitor starter pack of a new meter and two sensors is £160.)

Bearing in mind we don't currently pay anything for any of her supplies, this would have to be pretty life changing to make it worthwhile. It sounds fab in principal, and we've been in Ireland this week and an aunt has been using it and singing it's praises.

It likely won't be in Canada for a while yet, and then it might take another year or two to enter mainstream treatments to be covered by insurance companies
Old Aug 12th 2017, 5:26 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I think each sensor only stays on for 14 days and they are £57.95 each. That seems a lot (the monitor starter pack of a new meter and two sensors is £160.)
In that case it is a lot.
Old Aug 12th 2017, 6:03 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I think Canada invented type 2 diabetes.
Old Aug 12th 2017, 6:25 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter was pretty much taught the same way as chloenelson1993. She takes Lantus and Humalog, and often takes extra Humalog for any extra food, but I have to admit she does not test every time she eats though probably should, if she was to be using her freestyle meter the way it was intended! We've never yet been denied supplies, but we do have coverage under two employer plans at this time.

Slight thread drift for anyone in the U.K. - is anyone using the Freestyle Libre? It's the patch you stick on you upper arm and you just wave the meter over it and get a sugar reading by bluetooth. Daughter's endo mentioned it (but not available in Canada yet) and I'm in UK at the moment and was thinking of buying one - but each patch only lasts a few weeks and seems expensive (£50+ each?)
Lantus and Humalog are fine- the more modern ultra fast ones are beginning to be questioned by the insurance companies in BC anyhow- they also are baulking at what they perceive as "excessive use" of testing strips. They are a rip off it has to be said. I love the sound of the patch tester but as Bristol says, 14 days is crazily expensive

Originally Posted by Oink
I think Canada invented type 2 diabetes.
No, that was definitely the Americans
Old Aug 12th 2017, 6:34 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup

No, that was definitely the Americans
They're the same things.
Old Aug 14th 2017, 7:47 pm
Just Joined

ChloeNelson1993 has a reputation beyond reputeChloeNelson1993 has a reputation beyond reputeChloeNelson1993 has a reputation beyond reputeChloeNelson1993 has a reputation beyond reputeChloeNelson1993 has a reputation beyond reputeChloeNelson1993 has a reputation beyond reputeChloeNelson1993 has a reputation beyond reputeChloeNelson1993 has a reputation beyond reputeChloeNelson1993 has a reputation beyond reputeChloeNelson1993 has a reputation beyond reputeChloeNelson1993 has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter was pretty much taught the same way as chloenelson1993. She takes Lantus and Humalog, and often takes extra Humalog for any extra food, but I have to admit she does not test every time she eats though probably should, if she was to be using her freestyle meter the way it was intended! We've never yet been denied supplies, but we do have coverage under two employer plans at this time.

I have actually trialled this for 2 weeks.

Pros- *super easy to just swipe the machine over your arm and see your bg( yes you still have to carry a machine)
*it shows 24 hour trends in your bgs so can see where issues may be arising ( useful through the night or when you wouldn't usually test)
*can predict how your bgs are going by showing arrows (either gradually up or down or shooting up or down)

Cons- *the price
*mine fell off after 9 days
*you still have to test by finger prick sometimes as they are not completely accurate due to the readings coming from interstitial fluid ( said I was 4 when I was actually 2 and hypo)

I didn't continue with it after the trial but I do follow quite a few people on Instagram who love them , especially those on a pump.

Thanks
Old Aug 14th 2017, 7:57 pm
Just Joined

ChloeNelson1993 has a reputation beyond reputeChloeNelson1993 has a reputation beyond reputeChloeNelson1993 has a reputation beyond reputeChloeNelson1993 has a reputation beyond reputeChloeNelson1993 has a reputation beyond reputeChloeNelson1993 has a reputation beyond reputeChloeNelson1993 has a reputation beyond reputeChloeNelson1993 has a reputation beyond reputeChloeNelson1993 has a reputation beyond reputeChloeNelson1993 has a reputation beyond reputeChloeNelson1993 has a reputation beyond repute

Another question(sorry).

I have applied for the IEC visa and have been accepted into the pool ( but understand the chances are looking pretty slim ).

With regard to medicals it says you only need one if a job requires it etc . I am wanting to be as prepared as possible in case I am one of the select few ( approximately 25% apparently). I have applied for my security check in advance but I'm not sure if I should get a medical too.

Can any of you diabetics who have moved to Canada advise?

Many thanks
Old Aug 14th 2017, 9:01 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChloeNelson1993
Another question(sorry).

I have applied for the IEC visa and have been accepted into the pool ( but understand the chances are looking pretty slim ).

With regard to medicals it says you only need one if a job requires it etc . I am wanting to be as prepared as possible in case I am one of the select few ( approximately 25% apparently). I have applied for my security check in advance but I'm not sure if I should get a medical too.

Can any of you diabetics who have moved to Canada advise?

Many thanks
Former Yorkshireman posted this elsewhere, this should help.

Medical exam requirements for temporary residents (visitors, students and workers)
Old Aug 14th 2017, 10:17 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
Former Yorkshireman...
You're living dangerously.
Old Aug 14th 2017, 11:31 pm
I need a walk

Originally Posted by BristolUK
You're living dangerously.
I know, Snoop told me off- her being a Manc and all.... Do I care? ..I just get called a dirty Southerner
Old Aug 19th 2017, 1:30 pm
Just Joined

Update.

I received an invitation to apply!(yeyyy). On the application it had medical (required) and I have therefore booked.

Really worried now as I feel this could be the thing that lets me down as my hba1c is 78 ☹. However the fact I have had so many replies from fellow diabetics I am hopeful I still stand a chance.

Wish me luck
Old Aug 19th 2017, 1:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChloeNelson1993
Update.

I received an invitation to apply!(yeyyy). On the application it had medical (required) and I have therefore booked.

Really worried now as I feel this could be the thing that lets me down as my hba1c is 78 ☹. However the fact I have had so many replies from fellow diabetics I am hopeful I still stand a chance.

Wish me luck
Before my medical, I asked my diabetic consultant to write a letter explaining how long I had been a diabetic and how well controlled my diabetes was. As a result, I was not asked to attend for further tests.

Is your reference to 78 a typo, or have they changed the system in the UK? IIRC, when I left the UK 11 years ago, an average of 6.0 was good. Over here, an average of 7.0 is good.
Old Aug 19th 2017, 2:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Before my medical, I asked my diabetic consultant to write a letter explaining how long I had been a diabetic and how well controlled my diabetes was. As a result, I was not asked to attend for further tests.

Is your reference to 78 a typo, or have they changed the system in the UK? IIRC, when I left the UK 11 years ago, an average of 6.0 was good. Over here, an average of 7.0 is good.
Thats a good idea i could try that , especially as i am having to travel 3 and a half hours for the medical id prefer not tohave to go back again .

Yes I believe they have changed recently I have used a converter and it says it converts to 9.3%? So yeah I don't have the best control, although I have getting it down from 11.6%.
Old Aug 19th 2017, 3:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Please read the link as to who does and who does not require a medical for an IEC Work Permit:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/medic/exam/who.asp

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.