Reload this Page >

From Devon to Brighton to Calagry

From Devon to Brighton to Calagry

Old Sep 2nd 2007, 10:24 pm
Just Joined

markcalgary is an unknown quantity at this point
Default From Devon to Brighton to Calagry

Hi everyone,

Moved to Calgary in Feb this year, 25yrs old, I've just twigged that other people may have done a simular thing. I am only here for another 6 months and I am debating now wether to try and extend my temporary work permit or not? At the moment things aren't as good here as they are at home: Brighton. Facebook and skype keep me in touch with everyone. But my career has been taking priority which is going pretty well. I was sent here to help start up a new project office. I was very fortunate to get this oportunity which I appreciate even more now after reading some of the struggles that people are having to get here. I think that I have been so busy at work that I forgot to establish my social life. I'm friends with everyone at work but thats only 6 people (hmm including me). It would be good to meet some new people who I don't ever talk 'shop' with. I wish our office was downtown it seems like such a natural transition to go to the bar after work. I've just joined Calgary Outdoors Club and need to go shopping for hiking boots and a rain coat so that will keep me busy, I'm not sure if I'm going to meet people my own age doing that but it sounds fun regardless. Looking forward to hearing what you all think of me and what I should do, stay? or go!? My friends and family back home are biast.
Thanks
Mark

Last edited by markcalgary; Sep 2nd 2007 at 10:26 pm.
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 1:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Giggles2080 has a brilliant futureGiggles2080 has a brilliant futureGiggles2080 has a brilliant futureGiggles2080 has a brilliant futureGiggles2080 has a brilliant futureGiggles2080 has a brilliant futureGiggles2080 has a brilliant futureGiggles2080 has a brilliant future
Default Re: From Devon to Brighton to Calagry

I'm 27 and moved to Montreal 4 years ago! I wouldn't change my time here for anything!!

Obviously you like it in Calgary otherwise you would know in your heart that you wanted to go home!!!!!! I was the same as you, I worked a lot when I first came over, then I realised that I needed to socialize a bit more and when I did, my experience here was even better!!!

You just have to trust your gut feeling!!! Even if you don't want to stay in Calgary, why not traveling around? The world is full of opportunities, why restrict yourself!?

Good luck!!!!
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 9:42 am
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Lorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya Mark, we have a son who is 25 tomorrow who would love to be in your shoes, he is itching to move to Vancouver and is pi$$ed off that we are on our way to Saskatchewan before him. You must do what suits you and your goals but I think you are doing the right thing by joining a group that will broaded you outlook.

Take care and know that you always have someone to talk to on BE
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 11:45 am

Member123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello mark and welcome to BE.

Why are things better in Brighton - you are coming from a different perspective than most of us in that we wanted OUT of Britain for various reasons.

IMHO you need to try and get out more, you have made a good start already, lots on here are also in Calgary so you could make some good friends.

Could you see yourself settling in Calgary - there must be some thoughts of it in your head, or you wouldn't be asking in the first place.

Good luck with the decision
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 12:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markcalgary
Hi everyone,

Moved to Calgary in Feb this year, 25yrs old, I've just twigged that other people may have done a simular thing. I am only here for another 6 months and I am debating now wether to try and extend my temporary work permit or not? At the moment things aren't as good here as they are at home: Brighton. Facebook and skype keep me in touch with everyone. But my career has been taking priority which is going pretty well. I was sent here to help start up a new project office. I was very fortunate to get this oportunity which I appreciate even more now after reading some of the struggles that people are having to get here. I think that I have been so busy at work that I forgot to establish my social life. I'm friends with everyone at work but thats only 6 people (hmm including me). It would be good to meet some new people who I don't ever talk 'shop' with. I wish our office was downtown it seems like such a natural transition to go to the bar after work. I've just joined Calgary Outdoors Club and need to go shopping for hiking boots and a rain coat so that will keep me busy, I'm not sure if I'm going to meet people my own age doing that but it sounds fun regardless. Looking forward to hearing what you all think of me and what I should do, stay? or go!? My friends and family back home are biast.
Thanks
Mark
Hi Mark

I'm 40 and have been wanting to get back to Vancouver for the last 14 years, but life and work etc. have kept me away, and besides, it's not too easy to get into Canada.
You are young enough to spend a few more years exploring Canada and getting to know the country, making friends and learning more about yourself in the process.
You can play host to your nearest and dearest when they come and see where you are.
Home will always be there for you to go back to. Grab this oportunity with both hands and live life, experience as much as you can - in time you will come to realise that work cannot be everything.

Best of luck.

Rob.
Old Sep 6th 2007, 4:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Mark

I have heard that the Calgary outdoor club is a great place to meet other people, a few youngsters from my office belong.

occasionally there is the odd meet up from this site, where you can get the chance to meet some peeps from here.

Do you ski or snowboard?

Oh and welcome to the site.
Old Sep 7th 2007, 12:25 am
Just Joined

markcalgary is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by smelly
Hi Mark

I have heard that the Calgary outdoor club is a great place to meet other people, a few youngsters from my office belong.

occasionally there is the odd meet up from this site, where you can get the chance to meet some peeps from here.

Do you ski or snowboard?

Oh and welcome to the site.
Nice surprise today to go through all the messages you guys left. This is a win win situation really. There is lots of adventures to be had here, and home always waits.
Yes I snowboard
Thanks for the warm BE welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!