Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Desperately seeking move to Edmonton, AB from Scotland!!!

Desperately seeking move to Edmonton, AB from Scotland!!!

Old Feb 16th 2010, 2:54 pm
Just Joined

MMountain is just really niceMMountain is just really niceMMountain is just really niceMMountain is just really niceMMountain is just really niceMMountain is just really niceMMountain is just really niceMMountain is just really nice
Default Desperately seeking move to Edmonton, AB from Scotland!!!

Hi everyone,

Im looking for advice/help etc on moving from Scotland to Canada (Edmonton to be more exact).
I was originally going to apply for a Skilled Workers Visa, lease my home out in Aberdeen for a bit of extra money each month, rent property in Edmonton etc.... my problem so far has been the securing a job offer in Edmonton. With not knowing how long it would take to be granted a visa, I cant tell potential employers when I would be able to start.

So I then though (and would prefer) to just completely sell up here and apply for full immigration. BUT im so so desperate to get out of the UK, I dont know how long its going to take to find out whether ive been accepted or not. I ccant bear the thought of being stuck here for many more months!

Also in order to prove to the CIC that I have the required funds in my account - I will have to sell my property first... which is a little awkward seeing as I then am homeless until I know whether I have been granted a VIsa or not !?

So basically, if anyone has info on how long its taken themselves to get TWP's and full immigrations and also any help regards to securing a job offer, id be so grateful to hear from you!!!!!

Cant stress enough how desperate I am to leave the UK! ASAP!!!

Shelly.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

Stew681 is just really niceStew681 is just really niceStew681 is just really niceStew681 is just really niceStew681 is just really niceStew681 is just really niceStew681 is just really niceStew681 is just really nice
Default Re: Desperately seeking move to Edmonton, AB from Scotland!!!

Hi Shelly,

What job do you do that would enable you to apply for a skilled worker visa? I'm guessing you work on the rigs but could be wrong? If your under 30 you could apply for a 1 year BUNAC visa like I did 2 years ago and secure employment with a company who might keep you on after your 1 year expires if your skills are required.

Other people on here will know more about the skilled worker route as I managed to avoid it.

Hope that helps a bit.

Stew.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 3:44 pm
Just Joined

MMountain is just really niceMMountain is just really niceMMountain is just really niceMMountain is just really niceMMountain is just really niceMMountain is just really niceMMountain is just really niceMMountain is just really nice

Hi Stew,

Im a Chef. Nearing 10 years experience.
If I could avoide the workers Visa I would. Id go straight in for full immigration if it wasnt for the fact it can take like 3/4 years! Ive wasted too much time wanting to go but not doing anything about it.

Im away to have a look at the whole Bunac route.

Really want out of the UK by summer - so what ever the easiest option is!
Obviously, in the long term, i dont want to come back to the UK. I have no intention of having a life back here, asides from of course any time which I may need to spend back here between visas etc...

Shelly.x
Old Feb 16th 2010, 3:50 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MMountain
Hi Stew,

Im a Chef. Nearing 10 years experience.
If I could avoide the workers Visa I would. Id go straight in for full immigration if it wasnt for the fact it can take like 3/4 years! Ive wasted too much time wanting to go but not doing anything about it.

Im away to have a look at the whole Bunac route.

Really want out of the UK by summer - so what ever the easiest option is!
Obviously, in the long term, i dont want to come back to the UK. I have no intention of having a life back here, asides from of course any time which I may need to spend back here between visas etc...

Shelly.x
Hopefully you're not running away from something that Canada will not rid you of.

I thought the Skilled Worker route took about 12 months now?
Old Feb 16th 2010, 3:54 pm
Just Joined

Oh no! Ive got nothing to hide at all!

Im just not happy here, I havent been for the best part of 10 years.
Im forever back and forwards to Canada for holidays/ visiting my friends there. It feels like home, if that makes sense !?

Hopefully im not going to be stuck here for another 12 months! That would probably destroy me!
Old Feb 16th 2010, 3:58 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Oh no! Ive got nothing to hide at all!

Im just not happy here, I havent been for the best part of 10 years.
Im forever back and forwards to Canada for holidays/ visiting my friends there. It feels like home, if that makes sense !?

Hopefully im not going to be stuck here for another 12 months! That would probably destroy me!
Other than gaining a job offer with an LMO, the chances of working and living in Canada by the end of 2010, i would say, are pretty slim.

While you're waiting for the application to process, are you able to live elsewhere in the UK? Somewhere you could settle happily and temporarily within yourself?

You may as well start the ball rolling now (whichever route is possible) so as to not elongate your unhappiness. Just understand that you may need to call upon your patience.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 4:20 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
Other than gaining a job offer with an LMO, the chances of working and living in Canada by the end of 2010, i would say, are pretty slim.

While you're waiting for the application to process, are you able to live elsewhere in the UK? Somewhere you could settle happily and temporarily within yourself?

You may as well start the ball rolling now (whichever route is possible) so as to not elongate your unhappiness. Just understand that you may need to call upon your patience.
My thoughts exactly, unless you are a highly skilled chef that can offer a restaurant / hotel something that a Canadian can't it looks like you would have to go down the pr route.

That said if you want something enough and all that.

Try looking on Job Bank. The companies on there have or are applying for LMO's so would be qualified to hire a foreign worker and they would also know the processes involved and timescales regarding such.

Be aware that you would also be competing not with just Canadians for these jobs, but pretty much the rest of the world!
Old Feb 16th 2010, 4:49 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
My thoughts exactly, unless you are a highly skilled chef that can offer a restaurant / hotel something that a Canadian can't it looks like you would have to go down the pr route.

That said if you want something enough and all that.

Try looking on Job Bank. The companies on there have or are applying for LMO's so would be qualified to hire a foreign worker and they would also know the processes involved and timescales regarding such.

Be aware that you would also be competing not with just Canadians for these jobs, but pretty much the rest of the world!
Oh patience is well and truley being called upon believe me!!!
Every spare minute is being spent on looking for work just now. Its the length of time from applying till knowing whether visa has been granted or not and getting to go out there, that is really sould destroying! I know theres so many others in the same boat.

Ive looked at other areas of the UK for now, but unfortunatly my heart lies in Canada. Doesnt help that ive got people out there that I miss so much.
I have family out there too but they are not close enough in relation for it to make any difference for the application I go for.

Anyone out there knows of anyone in Edmonton in need of a bloody good pastry chef, let me know!!!!!!:fingers crossed:
Old Feb 16th 2010, 5:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

6-12 months (which is what SW visas take these days) is nothing. Numerous people on this forum had to wait 5 years for their SW visa before the process was overhauled, and you'd probably still beat some of them who applied years ago if you applied tomorrow!

If you do everything correctly and quickly, you can have PR in approx 8 months. Not long at all, and just gives you time to save plenty of money for the move over and get everything sorted before you go. You could go over and try and find a job offer, but the LMO can take 6 months anyway, so what's the point? If you have a route to PR, then grab it with both hands, and don't delay (the list of 38 occupations in demand can change at any time, what if chefs aren't on it when it does change?).

Good luck, and welcome to the forum.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 5:23 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Every spare minute is being spent on looking for work just now. Its the length of time from applying till knowing whether visa has been granted or not and getting to go out there, that is really sould destroying! I know theres so many others in the same boat.

Ive looked at other areas of the UK for now, but unfortunatly my heart lies in Canada. Doesnt help that ive got people out there that I miss so much.
I have family out there too but they are not close enough in relation for it to make any difference for the application I go for.

Anyone out there knows of anyone in Edmonton in need of a bloody good pastry chef, let me know!!!!!!:fingerscros sed:
As I said above check job bank, no-ones going to do it for you.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 5:24 pm
Just Joined

I check it every day! Have done for months!
Not stopping now!

THank you everyone!
x
Old Feb 16th 2010, 5:25 pm
Beep

Anyone out there knows of anyone in Edmonton in need of a bloody good pastry chef, let me know!!!!!!:fingers crossed:
Not in Edmonton but if you're willing to cook, i'll employ you at the cost (to you) of £750 a month for a room and bills inclusive.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 8:56 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

So basically, despite this being "urgent", you've done exactly nothing about it?
Old Feb 16th 2010, 9:09 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by el_richo
Not in Edmonton but if you're willing to cook, i'll employ you at the cost (to you) of £750 a month for a room and bills inclusive.
I had been hoping that I would be able to go straight for Edmonton as thats where all the friends and some family (albeit distant) are (helping with the accommodation side of things to start) but I have started looking elswhere now. Where are you located El_richo ???

Thank you indeed for that offer! I am just in the process of last valuations on my property here so that I have a better idea of what financial backup I will have each month, as even though im classed as a skilled worker, the general salaries for Chefs can be quite low so I think I will need to make sure I can cover the gap, so to speak!
Old Feb 16th 2010, 9:19 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jericho
So basically, despite this being "urgent", you've done exactly nothing about it?

Not quite Jericho!
Many many many months of job hunting have been happening, along with repeated trips to Edmonton to look at property, potential work, all things legal etc etc
I have unfortunatly just hit a bit of a brick wall of late, as we sometimes do when things dont go quite as we would like/wish.
It helps to hear other peoples stories/advice on the matter from those who have completed the journey and those who are in the process too!
Property ready to sell, forms good to go, banking/legalities and all that good stuff ready for the next step.... just trying to track down the job offer!
By no means lazy here! I didnt just wake up yesterday morning and decide I wanted to go to Canada!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.