Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Desperately seeking advice on an accommodation issue.

Desperately seeking advice on an accommodation issue.

Old Sep 14th 2013, 9:43 pm
Just Joined

snojbar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Desperately seeking advice on an accommodation issue.

I currently hold an IEC Visa issued to me April this year - I have until April 2014 to activate it (If I'm not mistaken).

However, my circumstances since applying have completely changed. My girlfriend (whom I was leaving the UK to be with in Canada) and I have split and I've thought long and hard about it and I would still really like to use the visa. It'll be tough to raise the funds on my own in this short time, but willing to give it a go as I think the goal to aim for is exactly what I need right now.

My question is this.. I haven't anywhere lined up to live now that I wont be joining her. Am I naive in thinking there must be must be some sort of program I can sign up to in which I can lodge with a Canadian family during my stay in Canada? I ask because I have no idea where to even start in my search for such things or even if such facilities exist.

Finding the money to this now that it's just me will be tough so I'm happy to work for them, I just need to get out of here for a while and get some experience in life elsewhere.

Any and all help appreciated.

Advice on what you would do in my position?
Old Sep 14th 2013, 11:48 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Desperately seeking advice on an accommodation issue.

One of my ex employees had people stay with him 'couch surfing' I believe. student exchange place students with families, the only other lodging is B & B as far as I am aware, there is the Y and some nice campgrounds. Or find other girlfriends.
Old Sep 15th 2013, 8:16 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

You could try couch surfing. Honestly you would be better off looking on craigslist once here for a room to rent, most citys have people renting rooms in their homes.

Anything you pay by the night b&b, hostels, hotels, motels etc will end up costing you more.
Old Sep 16th 2013, 5:26 pm
Forum Regular

Muskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond repute

You could also check out kijiji for a room or apartment to rent, in whatever town you hope to live in They have jobs/rooms/whatever you want. Good luck