Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Desert Rats Museum

Desert Rats Museum

Old May 20th 2009, 2:22 am
Forum Regular

islandboy will become famous soon enough
Default Desert Rats Museum

Hi does anyone out there know if there is a museum for the Desert Rats. My father served with them most of the second world war, he took a lot of photos all through North Africa, Italy and Normandy all the way to Germany, with a nice camera he persuaded a German Officer to give him. I would like to scan them and donate the originals to the regiment if they would like them, I have tried to look it up online without any luck.
Old May 20th 2009, 2:58 am
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Desert Rats Museum

Originally Posted by islandboy
Hi does anyone out there know if there is a museum for the Desert Rats. My father served with them most of the second world war, he took a lot of photos all through North Africa, Italy and Normandy all the way to Germany, with a nice camera he persuaded a German Officer to give him. I would like to scan them and donate the originals to the regiment if they would like them, I have tried to look it up online without any luck.
Here's a website which needs pictures associated with the Desert Rats.
http://www.wartimememories.co.uk/allied/desertrats.html

There are other websites also associated but no evidence of a museum, per se.
Old May 20th 2009, 1:26 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

The Desert Rats were a division, ie, lots of regiments. Your father would have belonged to one of those. That's what you need to find out.
Old May 20th 2009, 2:46 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

I remember driving past signs for one on my way back to London from Norfolk a while ago. Not sure where it was though.
Old May 20th 2009, 2:49 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, contact the Imperial War museum people and see what they say

http://www.iwm.org.uk/
Old May 20th 2009, 3:19 pm
Forum Regular

islandboy will become famous soon enough

Good advice thank you all,I feel I should know so much more about this part of my fathers past but he would not talk about the war even to my mum.I do know he was in the Tanks.
Old May 20th 2009, 6:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

jerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
If you donate them to any museum, even a big one make sure you stipulate clearly the rules of your donation,
i.e. if you do not want them re-sold for museum funds at anytime in the future state that, get a donation form and have it signed by them, etc.

Also regularly request that they still have the items, say maybe every five years or so.

thou' I dislike it,
sometimes the best method of presevation is e bay,
If it goes to a collector it will be looked after, he paid money for it...

Items have been known to disappear from some very big & small archives/museums in the UK... as any researcher will tell you.

Cheers
Jerry
Old May 20th 2009, 6:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light

The desert rats home is Bad Fallingbostel Germany. There is a museum there!
You might want to send a copy to your fathers regiment or to the tank museum?
Anyway I have PM'd you the address to Fallingbostel