View Poll Results: dental poll
Yes, give me a needle!
70.83%
It would depend on the work being done.
20.83%
I don't need no stinkin' needle.
4.17%
Hey, don't dentists use happy gas anymore?
4.17%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

dental poll

Old Nov 23rd 2005, 7:50 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation dental poll

OK. So I'm going to the dentist tomorrow to have a filling redone and I'm a bit nervous about the needle. My memory from childhood is that the syringe is like 5 feet long .

I have had it suggested to me by an otherwise rational and intelligent person from this forum (although her reasoning behind asking about the town of Smithers would make anyone wonder ) that I can ask dentist not to give me a needle. I have had another British person say this to me as well.

Is this for real or is this a very evil example of you British 'taking the piss'? Seriously though... it's been a long time since I've had to have any dental work... would you pass on the needle?

Hey, I'll try to create a poll! ... It worked!

Last edited by hot wasabi peas; Nov 23rd 2005 at 7:54 pm.
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 7:54 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: dental poll

GO WITH THE NEEDLE. Any suggestion to the contrary is purely a warped sense of humour!

They can give you that numbing gel first so the needle doesnt hurt if its a problem, but an half competent dentist should ba able to inflict it without it hurting too much anyway.
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 7:55 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
OK. So I'm going to the dentist tomorrow to have a filling redone and I'm a bit nervous about the needle. My memory from childhood is that the syringe is like 5 feet long .

I have had it suggested to me by an otherwise rational and intelligent person from this forum (although her reasoning behind asking about the town of Smithers would make anyone wonder ) that I can ask dentist not to give me a needle. I have had another British person say this to me as well.

Is this for real or is this a very evil example of you British 'taking the piss'? Seriously though... it's been a long time since I've had to have any dental work... would you pass on the needle?

Hey, I'll try to create a poll!

Sure you can ask not to have the needle....

it all depends on your level of tolerance to pain

if you opt out of the needle just pray that its high
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 7:59 pm
Amos Amatit Again!

GillyC will become famous soon enoughGillyC will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by MikeUK
Sure you can ask not to have the needle....

it all depends on your level of tolerance to pain

if you opt out of the needle just pray that its high

I have a friend here who always goes without the needle. Something to do with an aversion to drugs or should I say a history of loving drugs a little too much and deciding to avoid??? Can't remember but no needles for her!
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 8:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Do you enjoy pain?
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 8:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Woodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd go with the needle if I were you, along with the numbing cream first!
But then I am a big coward when it comes to dentists!
TBH, it's the drill more than the needle for me!

Anybody seen Steve Martin as the dentist in Little Shop of Horrors? Brilliant!!

Old Nov 23rd 2005, 8:14 pm
Account Closed

yonk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by willmore
Do you enjoy pain?
I'm going to hold up my hands and admit, I am the no needle person!

Unless they hit a nerve, it's ok, honest!

Old Nov 23rd 2005, 8:15 pm
Account Closed

yonk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by yonk
I'm going to hold up my hands and admit, I am the no needle person!

Unless they hit a nerve, it's ok, honest!

And if I had ever had a nerve hit, it would probably change my mind.
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 8:16 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Peas,

Go with needle for sure. No whack out drugs needed, unless it's a very deep nasty piece of work, like tug-out, root canal or deep crown prep. Which might entail two hits, else all will be fine.

Appropriate pain strategy = Shut eyes. Look away. Think of nice warm dark place.

The gear they use can affect people quite badly, I was always a little roughed up by it as it contains some sort of harsh speed-related ingredients to get the painkiller drugs into the system very quickly, and I was always totally hammered by it, like my head and heart pounding, and I could never drive or go back to work after having the needle. Just had the temptation to put loud dance music on, turn off the lights and drink plenty of water and dance madly with a cheesy grin

Otherp pees are usually OK. Just my own tolerance level and reaction to such nasties I guess.

Rich.
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 8:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

LOL. I had to have the inside of one of my teeth drilled out recently because the nerve died and got infected, and it hardly hurt at all, including the initial injection... worst part was when they stuck something in there to wipe out the gunk, and that was just a short twinge.

Dentistry isn't a big deal these days in developed nations, other than price-wise!
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 8:35 pm

This is hilarious! (to me anyway!) And helping with the nerves.

So far, according to the votes and the 'hands up' GillyC and Yonk are the masochists of the Canada lifestyle forum and the rest of you, by default are normal! Well, except for dbd - but his dental work is probably out in the garage.
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 8:39 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

the rest of you, by default are normal! Well, except for dbd
Tell us something we DONT know
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by Woodstock62
Anybody seen Steve Martin as the dentist in Little Shop of Horrors? Brilliant!!

Oh, I'd love to see that now... yeah, that's an excellent scene! The black leather apron and motorcycle boots.

'Who wants their teeth done by the Marquis de Sade?
--- Oh, that hurts! I'm not numb!
Oh, shut up, open wide, here I come!
I am your dentist... '
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 8:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

pain = not good, so go for the needle everytime

and my dentist has little stress balls you can squeezze, that didnt sound quite right but i think you get my drift.

whatever you choose this time tomorrow it will be all over, history.
good luck!!!
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by Rich_007
The gear they use can affect people quite badly, I was always a little roughed up by it as it contains some sort of harsh speed-related ingredients to get the painkiller drugs into the system very quickly, and I was always totally hammered by it, like my head and heart pounding, and I could never drive or go back to work after having the needle. Just had the temptation to put loud dance music on, turn off the lights and drink plenty of water and dance madly with a cheesy grin
I have absolutely no idea what you mean.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.