Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

DENIAL ...Not Just a River in Egypt

DENIAL ...Not Just a River in Egypt

Old Feb 29th 2012, 2:23 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DENIAL ...Not Just a River in Egypt

Originally Posted by Boy d
that's a good point, never looked at it that way. Same could said for some that are emmigrating. If you have an established life, why leave?
Bingo
Old Feb 29th 2012, 2:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boy d
that's a good point, never looked at it that way. Same could said for some that are emmigrating. If you have an established life, why leave?

I guess it's human nature to believe that there must be more just over the hill beyond the rainbows. Utopia is elusive.
Is it? Google maps shows there are Utopias in Texas, Ontario, New York and New Brunswick.
Old Feb 29th 2012, 2:38 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Is it? Google maps shows there are Utopias in Texas, Ontario, New York and New Brunswick.
Christmas crackers opened early this year ?
Old Feb 29th 2012, 4:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
"Utopia confirmed in New Brunswick shocker"
Old Mar 1st 2012, 1:46 am
BE Forum Addict

London Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Toleero84
If you're moving countries to fix a problem with your life, you're doing it wrong, try and focus on why you're unhappy instead, different surroundings will almost NEVER fix being unhappy with your life.
True.
Old Mar 1st 2012, 3:07 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tuppence
"Utopia confirmed in New Brunswick shocker"
That's only because in new brunswick Utopia is defined as "a roof and a job"
Old Mar 1st 2012, 4:53 pm
Forum Regular

xxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nice

Originally Posted by Tony-the-Tigger
I know exactly where you are coming from. By 1996, I was disillusioned with my life in Glasgow, by 2003, I was disillusioned with life in Toronto, and yes - you guessed it - in 2012, I'm disillusioned with my life in Glasgow. Planning now to return to Toronto - I think I was less disillusioned there, maybe.

Ha Ha Ha. I'm not laughing at you mate. I've gone through exactly the same thing.

Here's the bottom line: Life in Glasgow is shit mixed with joy. Life in Canada is a different flavour of shit mixed with joy.
Old Mar 1st 2012, 4:59 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by se1zm1c
+ Canadians are generally welcoming to immigrants
- A lot now resent the influx of immigrants and may explain the difficulty in getting a job 'straight off the plane' as no one looks at you w/o 'Canadian experience'
Canadians are more welcoming I suspect than any other country, but on the flip side there are a lot of unions or organizations you have to be a member of which they use to try and create a closed shop. But that's always been the case I think, it's not something aimed at immigrants per se. It does have the effect of impacting immigrants which is why there is so much talk about it, but really I don't think it will change that much because whatever organization it is always has some reason not to change and gets their members to moan to politicians. I saw a Chinese woman quoted in a newspaper saying that everything is so "settled" in Canada which makes it hard to make in-roads. But if you start your own business, then if you were good in Europe you're usually brilliant in Canada. They can't handle the competition.

What I would say is that the work culture in Canada reminds of the UK in the 1970s, before Thatcher-ism. It's not quite that bad but there are similarities.

+ Easy to become friends with Canadians - seperation by same language not such a big deal especially if you're British
- They take everything literally, are painfully politically correct and sarcasm 'does not compute'
No, to both comments. Canadians tend to be quite anti-social imx. For example, when I'm on a Westjet or Air Canada flight I can always spot the Americans - they're the loud ones trying to chat to everyone around them. If you bump into someone on the street they say nothing, Americans say "hi" or whatever. My theory is that being trapped in the basement for six months watching hockey makes their social skills worse. And I should say "my" social skills seeing as I am a Canadian now and I've noticed I'm not as social as I used to be.

Sense of humour, sarcasm, etc. is pretty much the same, but not as sophisticated.

+ Driving in Canada is easy with careful courteous drivers
- Overtaking can be done from anywhere and the combination of bad weather and inconsiderate drivers make it just as 'touch and go' as in UK.
Definitely not as good as drivers in Europe, they're no good at handling busy traffic conditions, although that is worse out west where you have people moving into Calgary from the boonies and they've never had to cope with it.

But the major factor is that road engineering is simply worse. I've seen roads with virtually no road markings on them for example. And not just because of weather, they just never bothered to paint them.

+ Houses are affordable compared to the UK
- Thanks to a cr*ppy exchange rate and an overheated housing market, affordable now means having to get a 'fixer upper' in a scummy area OR miles away from where you need to be
Depends on where in the country you are, clearly more affordable than the UK but the exchange rate is a factor. Plus being an immigrant makes getting a mortgage somewhat harder because of no credit history.

+ Cost of living is comparable if not better than UK
- UK is generally much cheaper (I still can't get over how unbelievably expensive Canadian car insurance is??)
Cost of living is lower, at least it is out west, if only because the taxes are lower. The odd thing here or there is more expensive, but just on the money you save on gas and income taxes you usually end up ahead.

I never quite get the comments about car insurance, my rate is only a bit higher than what I paid in the UK for an equivalent car, I did have a hell of a job getting them to accept my UK insurance history though, so if you didn't do that or couldn't manage it, then obviously you're going to be paying more.

+ Winters seem to be getting milder (less cold and shorter) in and around Toronto/GTA area so 'surviving winter' is not such an ordeal
- ???
Can't comment on the GTA, I think it's more a case of weather patterns becoming more unpredictable than milder. Maybe very slightly milder overall, but I remember a cold snap in October 2006 which was very unusual and also winter last year was unusually harsh.

So...moving to Canada doesn't seem to be a 'slam dunk' option. At best it's a DIFFERENT way to live your life but is different enough? Doesn't the novelty wear off eventually so that you end up in the same disillusioned state that made you want to emigrate in the first place?
Depends on your attitude, although I have a crappy attitude about most things and moving to Canada worked out better for me than I thought it would.

I wouldn't say it's a terribly different way to live your life either, the Queen is still the head of state, lot of British influences.
Old Mar 1st 2012, 5:01 pm
Forum Regular

bigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nice

Originally Posted by xxdb
Ha Ha Ha. I'm not laughing at you mate. I've gone through exactly the same thing.

Here's the bottom line: Life in Glasgow is shit mixed with joy. Life in Canada is a different flavour of shit mixed with joy.
Just have to decide where offers less shit than joy,,,, just wish it was that easy
Old Mar 1st 2012, 5:04 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scribe123
"Crappy" probably isn't an accurate word either; I would say "not as high as it has been in the past". There is no law that say's the rate has to be $2 or more to the pound, and there is no reason to think it will ever go up significantly in the next few years.
The pound is the weakest it has ever been against various major currencies, including the Canadian dollar.
Old Apr 1st 2012, 12:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Toleero84
If you're moving countries to fix a problem with your life, you're doing it wrong, try and focus on why you're unhappy instead, different surroundings will almost NEVER fix being unhappy with your life.
My father was brought up in Canada and brought back to the UK when he was 14 and always wanted to go back. When he talked about this to my mum many years ago he would say something similar.

'When you close your curtains at night, your house could be anywhere in the world'. At the end of the day it is what you make of it. I would be happy living in the UK, but my circumstances lead me to Canada right now, but as long as I have my child and husband and we are happy, I wouldn't care if it was the north pole...
Old Apr 1st 2012, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

JimboV6 is on a distinguished road

Agreed, but probably depends where you end up. Lots of British-descent Canadians here in London so there's an easy commonality there. Also lots of Dutch in the countryside (farmers) and I've always found them friendly toward Brits. Not sure that's the case in Quebec necessarily, unless you speak le lingo.

+ Easy to become friends with Canadians - seperation by same language not such a big deal especially if you're British
- They take everything literally, are painfully politically correct and sarcasm 'does not compute'

Varies - you get used to different turns of phrase (NB. you NEVER stroke a dog, you PET it) PCness - maybe a little more than in the UK on average. Humour - Sometimes on a different page, but sarcasm isn't unknown. I've always enjoyed the humour of my friends and colleagues here. You will miss British TV comedies.

- Overtaking can be done from anywhere and the combination of bad weather and inconsiderate drivers make it just as 'touch and go' as in UK.

Courteous, no. Not even remotely. Especially in Toronto. And tailgating seems the norm here. Undertaking/weaving in and out are also common. Dangerous if you are not used to cars appearing on your inside and sitting in your blindspot. Idiots are everywhere, but I find more of them on the road here than back in the UK.

I'd agree with that, even with current exchange rate. Again, depends on what areas you are looking at. A house in Toronto went for $400k over ask recently.

+ Winters seem to be getting milder (less cold and shorter) in and around Toronto/GTA area so 'surviving winter' is not such an ordeal
This year was v.mild. I'm not one to jump on the "global warming bandwagon" though. Snow is still a welcome novelty for me, so I don't mind Winter.

[/QUOTE]
Old Apr 1st 2012, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

JimboV6 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by scottish_maple
'When you close your curtains at night, your house could be anywhere in the world'. At the end of the day it is what you make of it. I would be happy living in the UK, but my circumstances lead me to Canada right now, but as long as I have my child and husband and we are happy, I wouldn't care if it was the north pole...
Nice
Old Apr 1st 2012, 1:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JimboV6
Agreed, but probably depends where you end up. Lots of British-descent Canadians here in London so there's an easy commonality there. Also lots of Dutch in the countryside (farmers) and I've always found them friendly toward Brits. Not sure that's the case in Quebec necessarily, unless you speak le lingo.

Varies - you get used to different turns of phrase (NB. you NEVER stroke a dog, you PET it) PCness - maybe a little more than in the UK on average. Humour - Sometimes on a different page, but sarcasm isn't unknown. I've always enjoyed the humour of my friends and colleagues here. You will miss British TV comedies.

Courteous, no. Not even remotely. Especially in Toronto. And tailgating seems the norm here. Undertaking/weaving in and out are also common. Dangerous if you are not used to cars appearing on your inside and sitting in your blindspot. Idiots are everywhere, but I find more of them on the road here than back in the UK.

I'd agree with that, even with current exchange rate. Again, depends on what areas you are looking at. A house in Toronto went for $400k over ask recently.

This year was v.mild. I'm not one to jump on the "global warming bandwagon" though. Snow is still a welcome novelty for me, so I don't mind Winter.

[/QUOTE]

I have to agree with your reply's to everything especially the not so courteous drivers. I can even say my hubby is one of those not so courteous drivers and the speed he drives at...there always in a hurry. Its a good job we have decided to move there cause he would not have the patience to drive in the UK.
Old Apr 1st 2012, 2:07 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottish_maple

Originally Posted by JimboV6
Nice
+1 !!