Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Defra Regs and getting dog into Canada

Wikiposts

Defra Regs and getting dog into Canada

Old Nov 8th 2011, 10:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Defra Regs and getting dog into Canada

Can someone check my understanding of this please?

To get a dog into Canada all I need is to a)Transport her properly in an approved kennel and b) get her a fit to fly cert from the vet just before leaving?

However with the new DEFRA regs coming into force Jan 12. If we were to come home she would need to be a) vaccinated against rabies and b) have a clear rabies free blood test more than 6 months before re-entry into the UK.

So that makes not a lot of sense to me... so basically if we go over on a TWP within a couple of months of getting there I need to find a vet who will vaccinate her against Rabies and then get blood tests done just incase we need to come home (eg TWP doesn't get renewed etc).

OR

Would you get her vaccinated now against Rabies whilst in the UK? can't see the sense in doing that because they will want her blood taken from her in Canada surely? they won't allow a blood test that was taken before she left the UK to be used for re-entry???

What a PITA!

Can someone correct me if I am wrong please? TA Muchly!
Old Nov 9th 2011, 1:35 am
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Defra Regs and getting dog into Canada

All dogs in Canada, well Ontario, Ok Toronto at least that i know of, have to have a yearly rabies jab.

So your dog will also have to have a rabies jab while in Canada and he will need a license too.
Old Nov 9th 2011, 2:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

In that case I might as well get her vaccinated over here then before we go?

Thanks
Old Nov 9th 2011, 3:57 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
All dogs in Canada, well Ontario, Ok Toronto at least that i know of, have to have a yearly rabies jab.

So your dog will also have to have a rabies jab while in Canada and he will need a license too.
In Canada it's a good idea for dogs to have a rabies shot, but it is not mandatory. Licences are required withing most city jurisdictions, but outside of city limits nobody cares.
Old Nov 9th 2011, 4:03 am

TheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond repute

Hi. We're in Alberta and we've been advised that the rabies shots need to be done every three years. As puppies, they will have a booster after one year but then every three years after that.

The old dog that we did bring with us from the UK had her rabies shot in the UK in Nov 2008 and would have been due for her booster now (sadly she passed away last week at nearly 15 years).

I don't think rabies shots are mandatory although it is advised.
Old Nov 9th 2011, 4:21 am

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

If you wish to bring your dog without a rabies shot then you will have to get a gov vet to inspect and give her a clean bill of health instead.

An up to date rabies shot in the UK should bypass the above and the dog will be good for a year in Canada. My dog caught a squirrel last month who knows what germs they can pick up from thebwild life here.

As for a license, we had a guy knock on our door asking if we had a dog or cat? He was then greeted by our dog. Oops, he was a pet License guy. We paid $35 for a lic and that was that no fine or jail time. Lol
Old Nov 9th 2011, 4:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Defra Regs and getting dog into Canada

We gave all 3 of our dogs Rabies in the UK and kept it up here in NS especially because we are rural. Currently rabies injections are every couple of years
Old Nov 9th 2011, 4:30 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Extrapolating that what happens in Toronto to all of Canada usually will ensure that you are posting incorrect information. This statement was no exception.

Dogs in Newfoundland do not require rabies jabs.
Old Nov 9th 2011, 4:42 am

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Extrapolating that what happens in Toronto to all of Canada usually will ensure that you are posting incorrect information. This statement was no exception.

Best to get it done though ehh? If the op was to have TW Visa cut short then the dog will most likely end up in quarantine on her return to the UK.
Old Nov 9th 2011, 4:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by TheThornes
Hi. We're in Alberta and we've been advised that the rabies shots need to be done every three years. As puppies, they will have a booster after one year but then every three years after that.

The old dog that we did bring with us from the UK had her rabies shot in the UK in Nov 2008 and would have been due for her booster now (sadly she passed away last week at nearly 15 years).

I don't think rabies shots are mandatory although it is advised.
Aww sorry to hear she passed away. It's heartbreaking losing a dog.... my heart goes out to you xxx
Old Nov 9th 2011, 4:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Best to get it done though ehh? If the op was to have TW Visa cut short then the dog will most likely end up in quarantine on her return to the UK.
My thoughts exactly... I will get it done asap.... thanks!
Old Nov 9th 2011, 5:04 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat

I don't recall any requirement for a rabies shot in Toronto. I had a licensed dog there and, unlike here, there was no discount on the license for proof of the shot. There was no requirement to produce proof of the shot. That was in Toronto, mind, Ajax might be different.

That said, it's sensible to get it done. In theory, you can't take the dog to and from the US without it. The required frequency depends, I think, on the product used; our dogs are on a three year drug.
Old Nov 9th 2011, 5:09 am

TheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. We'd had her since she was just six weeks old so it really is like losing a member of the family. Still, having a couple of other dogs helps to take our mind off it (plus the fact that we currently have 6 puppies running about the place causing havoc!)

Originally Posted by Geordie Lass
Aww sorry to hear she passed away. It's heartbreaking losing a dog.... my heart goes out to you xxx
Old Nov 9th 2011, 5:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by TheThornes
Thanks. We'd had her since she was just six weeks old so it really is like losing a member of the family. Still, having a couple of other dogs helps to take our mind off it (plus the fact that we currently have 6 puppies running about the place causing havoc!)
Yes it is like losing a family member - because that is what they are. I remember losing our dog a couple of years ago. Still miss him to this day (even tho we got a puppy last year!)

6 puppies.... I can't even imagine.... I struggled with 1!
Old Nov 9th 2011, 7:35 am

Yep, just about keeping my sanity by knowing they are almost old enough to move on their new homes and my house will be back to normal (well, as normal as it gets anyway! ).

Originally Posted by Geordie Lass
Yes it is like losing a family member - because that is what they are. I remember losing our dog a couple of years ago. Still miss him to this day (even tho we got a puppy last year!)

6 puppies.... I can't even imagine.... I struggled with 1!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.