Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

DEFRA and pet travel certs

DEFRA and pet travel certs

Old Jun 7th 2007, 5:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud of
Default Re: DEFRA and pet travel certs

I Believe that if you do not have the Rabies vacination in advance, then you need the DEFRA cert to verify coming from a rabies free country, and vice versa. If you arrive with neither, then you need to get the jab done asap.

As i figured my cat would need the cover against rabies once we got to Canada anyway, i just got the jab done first.
Old Jun 7th 2007, 5:26 pm
Forum Regular

peterb is an unknown quantity at this point

That is right. If you have the rabies done this end, the Defra Certificate confirms that, (and costs nothing to do), if you don't then when you get to Canada your pet will be vaccinated against rabies at the airport and you will be charged at that end.

My advice, is no hassle get the pets done this end, the Defra form is simple and free, and you have no worries at the Canadian end
Old Jun 7th 2007, 5:28 pm
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

As you can never be sure what future plans will entail, then if you can, get the pet passport and the rabies shots. Get them done well in advance and ensure the 6 month blood test is completed as well. This will negate the need for a DEFRA form and all the jumping through hoops that goes along with it.

A 'Fit to fly certificate' is necessary and can be completed at your vets within 'x' (can't remember - 10 days??? or something) days of you flying out.

Our cats have already had rabies shots over here as well and if you may need to take them back to the UK then you'll need to keep up a regular vaccination plan anyway.
Old Jun 7th 2007, 5:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

PaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to all

7 days before you fly mac
Paul
Old Jun 7th 2007, 6:01 pm
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PaulCall
Paul
Cheers Paul. Actually the cats have settled down remarkably well. Screen doors are a tempting fascination to them.

Good luck with the move as the big date draws closer. I have a party on that day so will toast your safe arrival.
Old Jun 7th 2007, 6:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

jempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by PaulCall
Paul
48 hours we were told by DEFRA
Old Jun 7th 2007, 6:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

PaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Madmac
Cheers Paul. Actually the cats have settled down remarkably well. Screen doors are a tempting fascination to them.

Good luck with the move as the big date draws closer. I have a party on that day so will toast your safe arrival.
well mac...thats the kind of arrival id expect from a top bloke like yourself...
cheers
Paul
Old Jun 7th 2007, 6:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jempee
48 hours we were told by DEFRA
well,my appointment does fall within 48hrs before we fly,but the paperwork i have states within 7days,but hey ho......
they couldnt knock my cat back with a name like molson
Old Jun 7th 2007, 6:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by peterb
That is right. If you have the rabies done this end, the Defra Certificate confirms that, (and costs nothing to do), if you don't then when you get to Canada your pet will be vaccinated against rabies at the airport and you will be charged at that end.
We brought our dog to Canada with an export health certificate (the defra cert you're referring to, I think?) It stated that she came from (and had been permanently in) a rabies free country for the previous 6 months. She wasn't vaccinated against rabies at Calgary Airport! We just took her along to our local vet when we were settled in/ready.