Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

DEET in mosy spray

DEET in mosy spray

Old Jul 13th 2012, 5:02 pm
Banned

didikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to all
Default Re: DEET in mosy spray

A question for all you fact gatherers.

Why would all these organisations spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on comparison studies (scientific clinical tests) between Deet products and Skin So Soft, if Skin So Soft was ineffective?
If it truly did not work why would they bother with it?

Because it's the drug companies trying to discredit it because they can't make money from it because it isn't a drug.

In anticipation....
Old Jul 13th 2012, 5:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by didikai

Why would all these organisations spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on comparison studies (scientific clinical tests) between Deet products and Skin So Soft, if Skin So Soft was ineffective?

Because it's the drug companies trying to discredit it because they can't make money from it because it isn't a drug.

In anticipation....
There again one could choose to live in a country that doesnt have mosquitoes which would render this thread invalid
Old Jul 13th 2012, 5:09 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

In anticipation....
Do you find you are bitten less, or not at all, when you're on your period?

My wife was trying to guage this last summer out of curiousty and it seemes she wasn't bitten during that time.

I said the mozzies were probably scared of her but she thinks it could be different smells and other womanly things.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 5:19 pm
Banned

didikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to all

Originally Posted by el_richo
Do you find you are bitten less, or not at all, when you're on your period?

My wife was trying to guage this last summer out of curiousty and it seemes she wasn't bitten during that time.

I said the mozzies were probably scared of her but she thinks it could be different smells and other womanly things.
At my age I don't have that problem 'down there' any more. Pretty dry on that front. Sometimes it's like a bit of old 80 grit sandpaper.
Try to get her to change her underwear more than once a week. That might help
Old Jul 13th 2012, 5:22 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Try to get her to change her underwear more than once a week. That might help
It would compromise our japanese export business but i'll see what she says
Old Jul 13th 2012, 5:25 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

In anticipation....
Because there is a lot of rumour and misinformation out there, bounce sheets for example... Mosquito bourne disease is a serious threat, and government depertments and researchers want to know what works and what doesnt, via controlled trials with disease free mosquitos.

Skin so soft does work, it just doesnt work as well as DEET based products. Nothing, so far, works as well as Deet based products, and the weight of scientific evidence to date is that the health risks of deet for adults and kids of a certain age are outweighed by the protection offered.

The rant about drug companies sounds a little too "tin foil hat" for my taste, I just go by the facts. Its not the drug companies making the stuff anyway, the most common brand OFF is made by SC Johnson, who started off in cleaning products. Something like Off skintastic is no more pricey than Skinsosoft. Avon themselves are not a non profit organisation, and they make no claims for it as a bug repellent, not that they have too anyway.

Last edited by iaink; Jul 13th 2012 at 5:40 pm.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 5:39 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by el_richo
It would compromise our japanese export business but i'll see what she says
I'm sure you can talk her round you silver tongued old charmer you
Old Jul 13th 2012, 5:44 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jericho
I've been reading a lot of anecdotal evidence about celiacs (or people who have a gluten free diet) not being bitten by mosquitos. Not sure what the science behind it is though...
I don't eat gluten and get bitten by mossies, and black fly, and deer fly...

Avon Skin So Soft. You can get it in a spray. Works every time
It works for a short while, a very short while. Not as long as DEET.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 5:58 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by iaink
Because there is a lot of rumour and misinformation out there, bounce sheets for example... Mosquito bourne disease is a serious threat, and government depertments and researchers want to know what works and what doesnt, via controlled trials with disease free mosquitos.

Skin so soft does work, it just doesnt work as well as DEET based products. Nothing, so far, works as well as Deet based products, and the weight of scientific evidence to date is that the health risks of deet for adults and kids of a certain age are outweighed by the protection offered.

The rant about drug companies sounds a little too "tin foil hat" for my taste, I just go by the facts. Its not the drug companies making the stuff anyway, the most common brand OFF is made by SC Johnson, who started off in cleaning products. Something like Off skintastic is no more pricey than Skinsosoft. Avon themselves are not a non profit organisation, and they make no claims for it as a bug repellent, not that they have too anyway.
Well we are getting there slowly. We have gone from SSS does NOT work, to well it works a little bit, to well it DOES work but not as well as Deet. Even if that this is the case I would rather put harmless SSS on my kids and have to apply it more frequently, than spray them with harmful chemicals.
SSS makes no claims, as if it did it would have to go through the massive expense of getting it classed as a mosquito repellant They sell tons of it, so why bother.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 6:18 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Well we are getting there slowly. We have gone from SSS does NOT work, to well it works a little bit, to well it DOES work but not as well as Deet. Even if that this is the case I would rather put harmless SSS on my kids and have to apply it more frequently, than spray them with harmful chemicals.
SSS makes no claims, as if it did it would have to go through the massive expense of getting it classed as a mosquito repellant They sell tons of it, so why bother.
No, I said (exagerating perhaps, its the internet after all) that it works for 5 minutes. The actual study I was recalling reports it works for "1 to 30 minutes". Other studies report slighty better effectiveness, none that Ive seen find it holds a candle to DEET.

It works, just not well.

How do you know SSS is harmless? The studies dont even know whats in it. The latest poison epedemic in the US is due to kids eating brightly coloured laundry detergent "pods".Im sure the detergents were considered harmless for their intended purpose too.

An absence of data doesnt make anything more or less harmless than something where the risks are known.
Interestingly the study (linked above) tested a product called "Skin-So-Soft Bug Guard Plus", so clearly the testing aspect doesnt bother Avon. (found to be effective 10 to 60 minutes). My guess is that Avon make no claims for it because the have no data to support that.

As you say, avon sell tons of SSS, but if you want effective long lasting protection from the dangers of West Nile or just the discomfort of the bites, then you are proven to be better off using DEET.

Last edited by iaink; Jul 13th 2012 at 6:30 pm.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 6:51 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by iaink
No, I said (exagerating perhaps, its the internet after all) that it works for 5 minutes. The actual study I was recalling reports it works for "1 to 30 minutes". Other studies report slighty better effectiveness, none that Ive seen find it holds a candle to DEET.

It works, just not well.

How do you know SSS is harmless? The studies dont even know whats in it. The latest poison epedemic in the US is due to kids eating brightly coloured laundry detergent "pods".Im sure the detergents were considered harmless for their intended purpose too.

An absence of data doesnt make anything more or less harmless than something where the risks are known.
Interestingly the study (linked above) tested a product called "Skin-So-Soft Bug Guard Plus", so clearly the testing aspect doesnt bother Avon. (found to be effective 10 to 60 minutes). My guess is that Avon make no claims for it because the have no data to support that.

As you say, avon sell tons of SSS, but if you want effective long lasting protection from the dangers of West Nile or just the discomfort of the bites, then you are proven to be better off using DEET.
Check out the side effects of Deet and the side effects of SSS bath oil. I'll stick with my SSS thank you
Oh and BTW..... Propecia that scientificly tested magic hair restorer, passed by the FDA is now under scrutiny for massive side effects.
Yet ANOTHER class action suit against the drug companies approaching...
Old Jul 13th 2012, 6:56 pm
Banned

wonderwoman1st is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Greenhill
Health Canada states:

"DEET

Registered products containing DEET, when used as directed, are acceptable for use. Health Canada completed the latest review in 2001, which was also supported by the Canadian Paediatric Society.

The higher the DEET concentration in the repellent formula, the longer it provides protection. While this is true for protection against both mosquitos and ticks, DEET repels mosquitos for a longer duration than for ticks. When seeking protection against ticks, look for a product that specifies use for ticks. Health Canada has approved the following concentrations for different age groups. Prolonged use should be avoided in children under the age of 12.

Up to 30% concentration of DEET for adults and children over 12 years of age. One application of 30% DEET should be effective for six hours against mosquitos.

Up to 10% concentration for children aged two to 12, applied up to three times daily. One application of 10% DEET should be effective for three hours against mosquitos.

Up to 10% concentration for children aged six months to two years, applied no more than once daily. One application of 10% DEET offers three hours of protection against mosquitos.

Do not use personal insect repellents containing DEET on infants under six months of age. Use a mosquito net when the child is outdoors in a crib, playpen or stroller."
I use the 10% spray on one for my 2 year old and I, $6 for a nice sized clear bottle at Shoppers drug mart. Quick squirt to arms and ankles and works a charm.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 6:58 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

What are the side effects of ingesting SSS bath oil? I doubt anyone has studied it to be honest.

No one is saying that DEET doesnt have a down side, and I went out of my way to get something Deet free and effective for my kids when they were still at that "hands in mouth" stage because of that.

The US FDA must by now have approved literally millions of products. If bringing up a half dozen that they know they got wrong is evidence that ALL the ones they passed are defective then God help us.

Last edited by iaink; Jul 13th 2012 at 7:02 pm.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 6:58 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh and BTW..... Propecia that scientificly tested magic hair restorer, passed by the FDA is now under scrutiny for massive side effects.
Not sure what your point is here other than trying to prove that you don't understand science and prefer folksy homespun "wisdom".
Old Jul 13th 2012, 7:13 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Not sure what your point is here other than trying to prove that you don't understand science and prefer folksy homespun "wisdom".
Why are forums like these populated by people who's only method of discussion is to try and discredit the other poster personally. If you can't offer anything worthwhle why not go back to the threads where the posters think you are smart.

No I don't understand a lot of science. But I do understand greed and corruption. My 'wisdom' actually makes me realise that in many ways I am smarter than you.

If you want to know what my point is why not ask me, rather than asking the question and then giving your answer to your own question.

Didikai M.R.T.A.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.