Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

DEET in mosy spray

DEET in mosy spray

Old Jul 13th 2012, 1:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: DEET in mosy spray

Urg I hate the Mozzies! Turns out I am very allergic! In Scotland we dont have them so I had never been bit, came to Canada, got bit on the arm and my arm puffed up so badly I had to go to the ER, I got given an Epi Pen, "Just In case". I have been using Shoppers Kid's branded spray, as I figured it must be good as people would complain if their kids were getting bit!
Old Jul 13th 2012, 1:36 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pacepeter
Why do they still use it in Canada when it is banned in Europe and most other counties and has been prooved dangerous? anyone know
Cos it actually works to stop mozzies biting perhaps?

Is it banned in Europe then? What do they use instead?
Old Jul 13th 2012, 1:38 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by didikai
Avon Skin So Soft. You can get it in a spray. Works every time
For about 5 minutes, compared to 4 hours for DEET based products... google for the actually scientific clinical trial results, rather than "word of mouth", or find one of my old posts here with the data...

About the only thing Ive know that actually works under scientific examination, and isnt deet based is this stuff. It works for an hour or two, we mail ordered some for the kids to use when they were too small to expect to keep their hands out of their mouths.

Last edited by iaink; Jul 13th 2012 at 2:16 pm.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 1:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

FlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Cos it actually works to stop mozzies biting perhaps?
Is it banned in Europe then? What do they use instead?
I think the OP has been confusing DEET with DDT. He won't be the first, nor the last. Sounds like some marketing effort is in order here
Old Jul 13th 2012, 2:34 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

There was a spot on Embarrassing Bodies on Ch4 this week where they studied why some people get bitten, and some people never get bitten. They've discovered the latter have two particular chemicals that mozzies dont like, and they're currently looking at ways to "bottle it".

I remember one particularly bad time in Edmonton last year at the dog park- me and my daughter had both been doused in Off! and it made no difference to the mozzies- they were literally swarming us- my daughter (4 at the time) was screaming and we had to run back to the car.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 2:35 pm
Banned

didikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to all

For about 5 minutes, compared to 4 hours for DEET based products... google for the actually scientific clinical trial results, rather than "word of mouth", or find one of my old posts here with the data...

About the only thing Ive know that actually works under scientific examination, and isnt deet based is this stuff. It works for an hour or two, we mail ordered some for the kids to use when they were too small to expect to keep their hands out of their mouths.
Please yourself. I've been using Skin So Soft (Recomended off the record to me by a doctor) for years and it has never let me down.
And who does these 'scientific clinical trials? ....answers on a postcard...
Old Jul 13th 2012, 3:27 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by jericho
There was a spot on Embarrassing Bodies on Ch4 this week where they studied why some people get bitten, and some people never get bitten. They've discovered the latter have two particular chemicals that mozzies dont like, and they're currently looking at ways to "bottle it".

I remember one particularly bad time in Edmonton last year at the dog park- me and my daughter had both been doused in Off! and it made no difference to the mozzies- they were literally swarming us- my daughter (4 at the time) was screaming and we had to run back to the car.
DEET is not a repellent, if there are lots of mozzies, then they will still buzz around you.

What DEET does is prevent them actually biting you.

Over time Ive found I no longer get the big newcommer welts that I used to, I guess my immune system has adapted to the worst of it. I now go out during the day DEET free and dont seem to get bitten too bad... I get bitten some, but its not the big pain it used to be. Once the sun is going down and the hordes mass, then DEET is a good idea outside, outside the city anyway.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 3:28 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Please yourself. I've been using Skin So Soft (Recomended off the record to me by a doctor) for years and it has never let me down.
And who does these 'scientific clinical trials? ....answers on a postcard...
The US FDA or EPA if I recall correctly... Its not a hard one to google for those that want some hard facts.

Doctors are no more immune to word of mouth than you or I Im afraid.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 3:37 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

US department of agriculture is one publishing papers...
http://naldc.nal.usda.gov/download/3363/PDF

The army also has done trials.. this one compares deet and skin so soft.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2045813

Then there is this one from the American Academy of Family Physicians
http://www.homs.com/AAFD.pdf

Skin so soft isnt ineffective, its just less effective, and coverage doesnt last as long. Scientific as opposed to anecdotal evidence.

Last edited by iaink; Jul 13th 2012 at 3:48 pm.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 3:46 pm
Banned

didikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to all

The US FDA or EPA if I recall correctly... Its not a hard one to google for those that want some hard facts.

Oh yes, they are the organisations that told pregnant women...Morning sickness? Here you go...Thalidomide...is it safe? ....'course it is...

And what is this 'word of mouth?' I have been using Skin So Soft for about 20 years. It always works for me' and my family. If you don't want to use it, then don't.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 4:04 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

No good talking about science and facts with some people.

I wonder if didikai would buy lisa's tiger repellent rock?
Old Jul 13th 2012, 4:12 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

I have been using Skin So Soft for about 20 years.
I"ll tell my wife about it. Does your husband notice a difference in your skin too?
Old Jul 13th 2012, 4:37 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by el_richo
I"ll tell my wife about it. Does your husband notice a difference in your skin too?
Actually I have noticed a great improvement. Thank you for asking. And while you're telling your wife, ask her to get some more Preparation H for your lips as you are still talking a load of shit.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 4:42 pm
Forum Regular

Granma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond repute

I remember the time a few years ago when I was holidaying in Kerela, in southern India, and had used a very strong anti mozzy spray at night before going out to a newly opened posh bar. The barstools had been freshly varnished with dark mahogany legs and blue velvet seats. During the evening I had my legs coiled round the stool while I enjoyed a cocktail or two. Imagine my horror when I went to get up at the end of the evening and happened to glance down.....my legs were brown striped as they had stripped the varnish off the stool legs. No mozzy bites though but had to scrub hard to get the varnish off my pins.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 4:58 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Actually I have noticed a great improvement.
Good to know.

Thank you for asking. And while you're telling your wife, ask her to get some more Preparation H for your lips as you are still talking a load of shit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.