Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

DEET Alternatives

DEET Alternatives

Old Jul 24th 2004, 12:03 am
Glaswegian

You could also try tea-tree oil shampoo (Thursday Plantation - Superstore) on the children - it keeps the head lice at bay and might just have the side effect we all want for the mosquitoes!

Old Jul 24th 2004, 12:45 am
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by MikeUK
Citronella works a bit.. but not very well

If you want to avoid the dreaded Ontario mossy.. then its DEET...

The tales and legends don't work...

You can try them... But make sure you keep the cream handy for the bites...

And If its a baby.. really think twice before testing out some dreamed up remedy..

If's a baby you better follow the Guideline and not use DEET a drier sheet appears to be a lot safer for them.

Here's about an honest answer as you'll get.

http://sheknows.com/about/look/1999.htm
Old Jul 24th 2004, 12:56 am
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute
Default For the itch

A used tea bag.

We tried the creams and the lotions and blah but as soon as the dried out the kids woke up or would rip the tops of in their sleep.

Found a web site ( can find it now ) that told about grinding leaves and picking this and doing that well 15 pages later it said failing that use a Tea bag.

So I tried it Daughter was a goalie ant the time and 35 bites on the back of the would drive her mad.

just dabbed it on and made here leg a little damp and not a sound all night. so when ever we get a bite. Dab Dab.

here anyother site on about tea bags

http://www.stashtea.com/ydwwtea.htm
Old Jul 24th 2004, 2:55 am
Glaswegian

Default Re: For the itch

Originally posted by Grah
A used tea bag.
So which brand? And does it matter?

Old Jul 26th 2004, 1:31 pm
Happy in Canada.

Default Re: For the itch

Originally posted by Glaswegian
So which brand? And does it matter?
No idea we've used Red Rose and Typhooo, haven't tried anything else.
Old Jul 27th 2004, 2:06 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Grah
If's a baby you better follow the Guideline and not use DEET a drier sheet appears to be a lot safer for them.

Here's about an honest answer as you'll get.

http://sheknows.com/about/look/1999.htm
For a baby I’d use a mosquito net, I’ve just come back form northern Quebec, and even with DEET I’ve got a few nasty bites where I’d didn’t get the coverage right…

Sorry but with West Nile Virus, and a few other diseases and even just the local infection… one bite swelled up and gave a reaction that was about 30mm in diameter…I’d take no risk’s with my Children’s health..…… and I’m not happy about other fools advising that some daft ideas work…

Did you read the last few lines from that doctor…
I know I began this answer by stating that I would tell you what I do with my toddlers, although I can't endorse it as a physician: I spray the kids' pants, waist and back of their clothing with a DEET product. This way, I'm not directly exposing their skin and systems to DEET, yet they have the advantages of its protection.
Dr Jane Forester
Family Physician
Glencoe, IL

Follow the crank advice if you want to… but do the rest of the kids out there a favour and avoid endorsing methods that have no substance to back them up…
Old Jul 27th 2004, 2:27 pm
Glaswegian

…I’d take no risk’s with my Children’s health..…… and I’m not happy about other fools advising that some daft ideas work…

Follow the crank advice if you want to… but do the rest of the kids out there a favour and avoid endorsing methods that have no substance to back them up…
I'm sure the rest of us do not take risks with our childrens health either.

Please don't tell me we are being bitten and just dont know it - our bites swell up and are very painful. Right now thats a much more immediate problem than West Nile disease! Bite prevention will prevent West Nile.

Did you read this thread all the way from the start? Most of the "crank" advice is in relation to dealing with the itch - not the bite prevention.

I will state again - so far citronella spray is working for us.

Old Jul 27th 2004, 2:48 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Glaswegian
I'm sure the rest of us do not take risks with our childrens health either.

Please don't tell me we are being bitten and just dont know it - our bites swell up and are very painful. Right now thats a much more immediate problem than West Nile disease! Bite prevention will prevent West Nile.

Did you read this thread all the way from the start? Most of the "crank" advice is in relation to dealing with the itch - not the bite prevention.

I will state again - so far citronella spray is working for us.
and if you care to notice I'm dealing with the crank drier sheet advice..... which has nothing to do with the itch...

and yes I've been on this thread from page 1!

for the itch i use lanacane... for what its worth.....
Old Jul 27th 2004, 2:53 pm
Velouria

Originally posted by iaink
Best thing I have found for the itching is cream, but I have to get my folks to send it over from the UK as I have never seen it here (maybe you can mail order it?). The "After Bite" stick pens with the ammonia in them work OK if you use them straight away, and witchhazel also offers some relief.
i take it i should be stocking up on Anthisan before i head back to canada then! :)

Old Jul 27th 2004, 6:38 pm
Glaswegian

and if you care to notice I'm dealing with the crank drier sheet advice..... which has nothing to do with the itch...

and yes I've been on this thread from page 1!

for the itch i use lanacane... for what its worth.....
My mistake - sorry! I interpreted the plural to include all of the methods!

I agree with you on the drier sheet issue - as I have previously stated. Putting them straight on skin in my opinion is madness - I wont even use them in the drier!

For the itch - my approach is avoidance as nothing else seems to work for us.

Old Jul 27th 2004, 8:35 pm
Happy in Canada.

For a baby I’d use a mosquito net, I’ve just come back form northern Quebec, and even with DEET I’ve got a few nasty bites where I’d didn’t get the coverage right…

Sorry but with West Nile Virus, and a few other diseases and even just the local infection… one bite swelled up and gave a reaction that was about 30mm in diameter…I’d take no risk’s with my Children’s health..…… and I’m not happy about other fools advising that some daft ideas work…

Did you read the last few lines from that doctor…
I know I began this answer by stating that I would tell you what I do with my toddlers, although I can't endorse it as a physician: I spray the kids' pants, waist and back of their clothing with a DEET product. This way, I'm not directly exposing their skin and systems to DEET, yet they have the advantages of its protection.
Dr Jane Forester
Family Physician
Glencoe, IL

So the Doctor a crank and you only use a mosquito net to cover your baby.

In your expert opinion what is the best repellant then?

Bearing in mind that the many different species of mosquitoes are attracted to many different things and humans give of different scents etc.

The Deet is a dangerous chemical, the purpose is to cause a masking scent to mossies. Does it work no idea some days a have it on and get sucked exactly where I sprayed it.

Anything that causes the particular species around to choose a different target is fine with me. The chances of west nile being fatal is what less than BSE in the UK?

Other Cranks ?

NC State Scientist Discovers Mosquito Repellent in Tomatoes
http://www.ncsu.edu/ncsu/univ_relati.../02_06/164.htm

Tried Catnip oil?

CHICAGO, August 27, 2001 — Researchers report that nepetalactone, the essential oil in catnip that gives the plant its characteristic odor, is about ten times more effective at repelling mosquitoes than DEET
http://www.altnature.com/gallery/cat...o_repllent.htm

and off the same page

New information, New Discoveries, There is no such thing as a Mosquito repellent!

http://altnature.com/library/Mosquitoes.htm

sucks to be at the mercy of cranks doesn't it.
Old Jul 27th 2004, 8:57 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Calm down Grah! You'll burst something if youre not carefull

I think you misinterpreted Mikes post... the quote from the doctor was there to illustrate what you should do, not what you shouldnt???

The other links about catnip oil and the like were interesting, but then how much clinical testing of the side effects of that have been done? Seems to work as a halucigen on my cats anyway. Noone ever said deet was a repelent, it just works by confusing the buggers so they dont bite you as far as I can tell. There is a lot of fear about, and that breeds desperation, so I think all advice needs to be taken with a pinch of salt.

Best advice I have seen is there is no single approach thats best. Cover up, use Deet (or whatever), clear up breeding sites locally. All have to be done I think. I was reading on the Gruaniad website that 200+ were killed by West Nile in the US alone last year.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/medicine/s...269838,00.html
How many did CJD get in the UK? Is it that bad? I know the canadian blood service dont want my blood cos I lived in the UK, so they are talking CJD pretty seriously, but now the UK blood service is screening for WNile if you've visited N America.

Last edited by iaink; Jul 27th 2004 at 9:02 pm.
Old Jul 27th 2004, 9:41 pm
Part Time Poster

I think I'll put it this way....

DEET has been tested and works.... its LD50 levels are known..

It looks like IBI-246 will undergo the same level of testing... (tomato extract)

It would appear that some people assume if its natural it not toxic... that is untrue... and its also used as an excuse for not testing either..... That is why many of these Herbal recipes will be forced off the market in many countries as new legislation cuts in...

I am a scientist and I used to work for major UK Pharmaceutical Company, although not a bio-chemist as a graduate, my field is Chemistry and Physics. I understand the processes involved in ensure a drug is safe for use … and I know that many herbs in their concentrated form are just as toxic.......
Old Jul 27th 2004, 10:22 pm
Happy in Canada.

rhubarb

Leaves for an very easy example.

Mike your probably right about some herbal things being taken off the shelf. But there is hundreds of old herbal remedies that the new chemical drug are based on.

Not had any contact with Abroginal people so don't know, but is sweet grass a good "Confuser ".

Deet tests also proves harmful to humans, the instructions are confusing and have seen people spray it on themselves like suntan lotion.
Old Jul 29th 2004, 7:32 pm
Part Time Poster

I thought I’d post this piece of info…
From this site: http://chemistry.about.com/cs/howthi.../aa042703a.htm

Recommendations for Using DEET
Despite its hazards, DEET remains one of the safest and most effective insect repellents available. Here are some tips for using DEET safely:
• Reduce your need for repellent. Avoid behaviors that will attract biting insects (e.g., avoid strenuous exercise or eating lots of high sodium or potassium foods prior to going outdoors, which increase carbon dioxide release).
• Avoid applying chemicals that attract biting insects (e.g., floral-scented perfumes, scented sunscreens, dryer-sheet-scented clothes).
• Where possible, apply DEET-containing repellent to clothes rather than to skin.
• Apply DEET in a well-ventilated area.
• Avoid applying DEET to hands, the face, or any injured or sensitive skin.
• Avoid behaviors that will lessen the duration of DEET effectiveness (e.g., perspiration, rain, mixing with sunscreens).
• When you come indoors, wash off DEET-containing products using warm, soapy water.
It’s the bit about avoiding chemicals that attract insects… last piece…

I’ve nothing against citronella.. But now we have West Nile reported in Toronto… I’d recommend that people used one of the PROVEN methods..

DEET is toxic we know that… and a small minority can be badly affected.. But the West Nile virus is dangerous at the 1% level… it’s a much much higher risk that the DEET.!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.