Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Deciding to go and telling others

Deciding to go and telling others

Old Nov 18th 2003, 3:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Deciding to go and telling others

When making the decision to move permanently to Canada (or indeed any other country) how have you dealt with passing on what might be considered as the bad news to those that you are leaving behind such as Parents or grown up children?

My conscience is certainly effected by the thought of putting such a distance between myself and my now aging parents yet it's a tricky balance knowing where priorities lay sometimes. I feel torn terribly between responsibilities to my immediate family (Partner, children) and then to wider family.

In our situation we've made our decision which we feel to be absolutely the right one but I'm curious as to other peoples experiences of this and how they told their families.
Old Nov 18th 2003, 5:16 pm
Forum Regular

SmilerJen is an unknown quantity at this point

at the end of the day - your life is your own - you have to do what is right for you.

Our parents were very supportive, very sad but very supportive.

It's hard being so far away but then they get free holidays over to see you and when they are here - you really do spend quality time together not just a day here and there, because they would come over for at least 2 weeks.

It's hard but you really do have to live your own life!!!

smiler
Old Nov 18th 2003, 8:03 pm
Valley of the Sun

souls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to behold
Default needs time to sink in

I have been leaving for almost a year! but when I first told people some friends were very happy for me.. while family was mostly upset... my folks were not supportive at all. and one person actually said it felt like someone was dieing!

now that some time has passed and they are a little more used to the idea its not as bad. my folks still are having a hard time with it, noone in my rather large family is further away then an hour by car. my best friend is still angry with me and that relationship may be going sour is she doesnt wise up

I am going for me...for my happiness.. I cant live other people's lives.. as the summer came and went I was less busy then normal.. eveyrone around me has carried on with their life while I wait to get going with mine. so I do think its rather selfish of those who don't have time for me to make me feel guilty for going.. I say support me or shut it! everyone is entitled to make their own way in life.. you may not like it, but wish me the best and let me go

so good luck to you.. its not an easy thing to do..
Old Nov 18th 2003, 8:37 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

When I told my family I was moving to Spain they were fine with it, though my best friend took it very badly.

When I said I was moving to Canada though they were totally ok with it and when I said I was moving to the US instead they were delighted for me. We're a very close family and always have been.

To be honest I wanted a bit more wailing and moaning from them!