Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Decent ISP & Mobile Providers - Recommendations Please

Decent ISP & Mobile Providers - Recommendations Please

Old Apr 22nd 2013, 8:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

energysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Decent ISP & Mobile Providers - Recommendations Please

Originally Posted by dbd33
Internet is available via the TV cable or the telephone line. "Cable" is generally used here to mean TV cable. ADSL is used to mean via telephone line. Rogers and Shaw sell service via (TV) cable, Bell via telephone line.

Television cable is available in most urban areas.
Ok, so fibre optic is called "cable", apart from those two (cheers BTW) are there any others?

Ideally thats what I'd like
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 8:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TS00
Ok, I'll tell you. But don't be sad.

We got a 7Mb down/400kb up package, unlimited (with FUP), for a bargain promo price of $50pcm. Usual price is supposedly $70.
Are you rural? I can't imagine a city provider being that slow.

Out in the boonies where we are I get in the region of 8Mb down and 1Mb up with 80Gb of data for not much more than you are paying.

In the City, Shaw was much, much faster and cheaper.
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 9:00 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

This might help you - DSL reports and reviews for fibre connections, Canada. They also have them for cable etc.

http://www.dslreports.com/reviews?c=ca&slo=1

Here's my current connection speed:

Edit: Just realised they have a 'cost' chart too! http://www.dslreports.com/gbu
Attached Thumbnails Decent ISP & Mobile Providers - Recommendations Please-internet-speed.jpg  

Last edited by Siouxie; Apr 22nd 2013 at 9:05 pm.
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 9:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

energysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by siouxie
This might help you - DSL reports and reviews for fibre connections, Canada. They also have them for cable etc.

http://www.dslreports.com/reviews?c=ca&slo=1

Here's my current connection speed:

Edit: Just realised they have a 'cost' chart too! http://www.dslreports.com/gbu
72Mb - Impressive.......

Those comparison sites will keep me out of mischief for a while

Cheers
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 9:56 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by energysolutions
Ok, so fibre optic is called "cable", apart from those two (cheers BTW) are there any others?

Ideally thats what I'd like
No fibre optic is not called cable. Cable in term of internet is coaxial not fibre optic although Shaw is moving to fibre optic in some of the very new neighborhoods.

If you're moving to Edmonton your two major internet providers are going to be Telus ADSL service provided through telephone lines sometimes fibre optic but most likely good old fashioned copper telephone lines. Shaw cable provided through for the most part coaxial cable although as I said earlier possibly fibre optic in very new neighborhoods.

As Almost Canadian has already said Shaw in the city is much faster than Telus.

I'm with Shaw in Calgary and have what Shaw calls Broadband 50 or 50mbps download speed (I consistently get between 45 and 48mbps) and a download limit of 400 gigabytes per month.

Shaw Internet packages can be seen at this link. http://www.shaw.ca/internet/packages/ They also have 100mbps and 250mbps packages available for a price. Although you have already mentioned you're not really interested in TV or phone, your internet package does get discounted if you take one or both of the other services.

Telus appears to be much more limited for download speeds it seems they only offer 15mbps and 25mbps packages. http://telus.com/content/internet/optik/

Cheers
Steve

Last edited by Steve_P; Apr 22nd 2013 at 10:03 pm.
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 10:00 pm
Forum Regular

TS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to all

So are you saying that despite the fact that you obviously are connected via a telephone line (as opposed to a fibre cable) you are only charged for broadband and nothing else (line rental etc like in the UK)?
Yes, I am saying exactly that.

But don't get too excited about it, as you will still pay more than you do in the UK for the line rental + ADSL.
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

TS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Are you rural? I can't imagine a city provider being that slow.

Out in the boonies where we are I get in the region of 8Mb down and 1Mb up with 80Gb of data for not much more than you are paying.

In the City, Shaw was much, much faster and cheaper.
No, within city limit, but small city.
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 10:14 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

What sort of speeds were you seeing?
Never measured it. Not quite fast enough to be able to listen to songs on youtube.
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 10:17 pm
Forum Regular

Never measured it. Not quite fast enough to be able to listen to songs on youtube.
HaHa!

Old Apr 22nd 2013, 10:20 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

HaHa!

That's how I measure it. When we moved here the man came and hooked us up and I played Night In My Veins. It worked so I signed the contract. It's a bit better than Bell ADSL was.
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 10:22 pm
Forum Regular

That's how I measure it. When we moved here the man came and hooked us up and I played Night In My Veins. It worked so I signed the contract. It's a bit better than Bell ADSL was.
If you're curious, this is a good test:

http://www.speedtest.net/
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 10:30 pm
Assimilated Pauper

If you're curious, this is a good test:

http://www.speedtest.net/
3.08b down .49 up I don't know what the numbers were for Bell but this is noticeably better.
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 10:33 pm
Forum Regular

3.08b down .49 up I don't know what the numbers were for Bell but this is noticeably better.
That's plenty fast enough to stream video.
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 10:43 pm
Assimilated Pauper

That's plenty fast enough to stream video.
Here, yes. That's a line-of-sight connection to a device mounted on a feed silo. It was the Bell telephone line connection that was too slow.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 8:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Steve_P
No fibre optic is not called cable. Cable in term of internet is coaxial not fibre optic although Shaw is moving to fibre optic in some of the very new neighborhoods.

If you're moving to Edmonton your two major internet providers are going to be Telus ADSL service provided through telephone lines sometimes fibre optic but most likely good old fashioned copper telephone lines. Shaw cable provided through for the most part coaxial cable although as I said earlier possibly fibre optic in very new neighborhoods.

As Almost Canadian has already said Shaw in the city is much faster than Telus.

I'm with Shaw in Calgary and have what Shaw calls Broadband 50 or 50mbps download speed (I consistently get between 45 and 48mbps) and a download limit of 400 gigabytes per month.

Shaw Internet packages can be seen at this link. http://www.shaw.ca/internet/packages/ They also have 100mbps and 250mbps packages available for a price. Although you have already mentioned you're not really interested in TV or phone, your internet package does get discounted if you take one or both of the other services.

Telus appears to be much more limited for download speeds it seems they only offer 15mbps and 25mbps packages. http://telus.com/content/internet/optik/

Cheers
Steve
Thanks Steve, thats the sort of detailed info I was after - I will have a look at both packages but Shaw sounds like it has an edge

Regarding the ADSL, is it like the UK where speeds taper off at peak times due to congestion/contention ratio etc etc or is it pretty stable?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.