Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Death of my beloved husband in Nova Scotia

Death of my beloved husband in Nova Scotia

Old Jul 17th 2023, 12:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Death of my beloved husband in Nova Scotia

Hi all,
Long time no post from me and now I have a very sad subject to ask about. My husband passed away suddenly and unexpectedly in May. We just moved to Nova Scotia from BC in March 2022 and life was going really good for us.
I am in the process of dealing with closing down his life and all the mountain of paperwork that entails. Today I am trying to tackle cancelling his British passport, which of course we just renewed last December! I have been googling for a few hours this morning and keep getting different answers, one place says to fill out the D1 form and take it to the British Embassy in Dartmouth and another part of the page tells me that the Embassy there is no longer open and when I called the number it seems to be true as it just rings off the hook immediately. I have emailed the UK Government also, so maybe they will be a bit more helpful, but wont hear back from them for up to 72 hours, so wanted to ask in the meantime has anyone in here had to deal with this.
Another specific to me problem is that we came from Northern Ireland, so those rules seem different again to the mainland UK. Any info I have found seems to be pointing more to if the British person died abroad but still lived in the UK.
Sorry if I appear stupid, but this is such a stressful situation for me to deal with on my own.

Also a second part to my query. Has anyone in here lost a spouse and has no children or family in Canada....but good friends, and have remained in Canada, or went back to the UK. We immigrated in January 2008, so Canada is really home to me, but I don't know if I can stay here without my husband. My family in NI want me to return there. Its such a nightmare.
Thanks for reading.
Old Jul 17th 2023, 12:54 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Death of my beloved husband in Nova Scotia

Sorry for your loss.

My wife died in 2015. There's a lot to go through but she was Canadian and had no passport so I never had to consider that, just all the banking, tax and local gov stuff.

I stayed, there are two stepkids but adults when she died.

Canada is your home and friends are here but the family want you back in NI. The good thing is you have plenty of time to work it out and decide.
Old Jul 17th 2023, 1:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Very sorry to hear. I am in the Republic of Ireland myself so can't help but have you tried contacting a local office in Northern Ireland https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/ab...thern-ireland/
Usually they are very helpful here and might be able to give you some guidance. Otherwise there are a few members from Northern Ireland so might be worth posting in the UK forum section.
Old Jul 17th 2023, 3:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I have no words of advice, but just wanted to say how very sorry I am. My condolences to you on your awful loss.
Old Jul 17th 2023, 4:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond repute

Again, I can't answer your question for you but wanted to add my condolences to you. I'm so very sorry for your loss.
I would advise giving yourself plenty of time before you make any big decisions for your future. You need to give yourself time to process your husband's death, grieve for as long as it takes (it never goes away of course) and to adapt to your situation. It's all extremely exhausting without adding an emigration to the mix.
I wish you well.
Old Jul 17th 2023, 7:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

So very sorry for your loss. losing a loved one is especially hard.

As far as whether to stay or go ...only you can decide that..maybe a trip back to NI once things are finalized and you can have a mini break...that might help with the decision.
Old Jul 17th 2023, 10:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

So sorry for your loss.

As you say the following website says that you complete D1 and send (with cancelled passport) to British Embassy or Consulate in Canada

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...older-has-died

The following website gives info as to the Embassies and Consulates in Canada

https://www.gov.uk/world/organisatio...eneral-toronto
Old Jul 18th 2023, 5:50 am
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

Condolences for the loss of your husband.

On the website gov.uk you can find lots of information which will be very helpful.

https://www.gov.uk/browse/births-deaths-marriages/death

It is very detailed and has lots of tips.

If there are any other UK based formalities that need dealing with, such as pension, then you can use a service called 'tell us once" which is a little more UK oriented but should help you get through the bits and pieces that need cancelling or adjusting.

https://www.gov.uk/after-a-death

Good luck and take care.

NB: Please note that the rules for NI differ a little, but there are links in the pages shown above.

Last edited by calman014; Jul 18th 2023 at 5:52 am.
Old Jul 18th 2023, 12:04 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Sincere condolences on the loss of your beloved husband.

I'm wondering why does the passport have to be cancelled? I'm American and my husband is Canadian and I would never have thought of formally cancelling either his Canadian or US passports upon his death. Is there a benefit need for this to be done? Would have thought that the official death certificate would be sufficient for that.
Old Jul 18th 2023, 1:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

Its the law. Basically to prevent misuse of identity.
Old Jul 19th 2023, 1:54 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

So very sorry for your loss. Hugs and love to you xxx
Old Jul 22nd 2023, 5:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Another post here, not offering much useful advice, but just to say how sorry I am to hear this. Condolences Alvic.

Though many things seem to take on an element of importance and urgency, something like a major decision about whether to move or not should not be rushed. Take a breath, maybe visit later in the year.

Old Jul 25th 2023, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

tweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear about your loss.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...older-has-died

I think it's this form. Following the link to the "find a consulate" page, looks like there is no consulate in Nova Scotia. I'd recommend sending the form and passport to the High Commission in Ottawa.
Old Jul 26th 2023, 12:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond repute

I’m very sorry for your loss, Alvic.

I have no practical advice to offer but agree with PP not to rush any decision about returning to NI. And I say that knowing it is a choice I may face myself down the track, being from NI and living in Australia.

Accept all help from family including any offers for a visit to support you in Canada. Give yourself time and space to deal with this difficult time.

All the best to you x