Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

DANGER OF ELECTROCUSION

DANGER OF ELECTROCUSION

Old Oct 12th 2007, 1:09 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DANGER OF ELECTROCUSION

Originally Posted by Journeyman Electrician
iaink,
Sorry but here in Calgary we use wire nuts for voltages up to 347V this is the voltage commonly used for commercial lighting. the reason I feel they have not been adopted in the UK is the fact that circuitry runs unjointed from supply to final device, hence no intermediate joints requiring splicing. Also in the UK the cabling is constructed from stranded copper rather than solid core. Stranded cables are difficult to join in a wire nut which could also be a reason they are not used.

hope that shines a little light on things pardon the pun.
That makes sense. FWIW some marettes are rated up to 600V anyway. D'Oh

Are you seriously telling me nobody splices lines in UK houses to add extra outlets etc...they just use terminal blocks or junction boxes instead or something dont they?

Surely in any electrical wiring situation you run the risk of having two wires, one potentially live in your hand dont you...thats how electricity works. Thats why you turn off the curcuit at the main box if at all possible before starting.

Im still waiting for someone to demonstrate that there are actually more electrical mishaps in Canada that the UK.

Last edited by iaink; Oct 12th 2007 at 1:13 pm.
Old Oct 12th 2007, 2:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

PeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by holbendem
only cables over 2.5 twin and earth are stranded here the uk,
Not true.

Possibly true for twin and earth type cables, but twin and earth is not the only choice.
Old Oct 12th 2007, 2:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

PeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Surely in any electrical wiring situation you run the risk of having two wires, one potentially live in your hand dont you...thats how electricity works. Thats why you turn off the curcuit at the main box if at all possible before starting.
If you have the cables in a terminal strip, you can disconnect just one and pull it out, leaving the other in the terminal. You can let the terminated one go to test the 'loose' one in your hand to see if its the dead one.

You should turn of, especially if your not an electrician, but sometimes you may not want to kill the whole circuit.

With a wire nut, you have to unscrew it then untangle two wires, one or both potentially live, then find some way to safely drop one to test the other.
Old Oct 12th 2007, 2:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Are you seriously telling me nobody splices lines in UK houses to add extra outlets etc...they just use terminal blocks or junction boxes instead or something dont they?
Shouldn't really do that, although I have seen it done, its not nice,

The correct way is to find the nearest socket (or light fitting if your adding a light) and supply from there.

If there isn't one or its already got a spur wired in and its a bit full, then you can cut a cable and install a terminal box, a bit bulky that's all.
Old Oct 12th 2007, 2:59 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Peter, good points I guess.

Is there any evidence anywhere that there are more electrocutions or electrical house fires in Canada as a result of the differences? It seems the dangers such as they are are to DIYers who dont cut the power, rather than the regular guy going about his day in a regular house. DIYers who dont cut the power get what they deserve...its a form of natural selection I guess.
Old Oct 12th 2007, 4:19 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Peter, good points I guess.

Is there any evidence anywhere that there are more electrocutions or electrical house fires in Canada as a result of the differences? It seems the dangers such as they are are to DIYers who dont cut the power, rather than the regular guy going about his day in a regular house. DIYers who dont cut the power get what they deserve...its a form of natural selection I guess.
Well my recent experience is the Central air isolation switch catching fire, the metal link between the switch and terminal block was not a good fit and from what I can work out had come loose (possibly due to vibration form the compressor?? but not sure as its wall mounted) an arc must have started, when I dismantled the unit the whole metal connector had melted due to the arc and partially combusted the surrounding bakelite, I though it unusual until I went to buy a replacement, only to find that these $15 units are prone to some kind of failure
I never saw anything like this in all my experience in the UK

The wiring in my house (about 6 years old) would fail inspection in the UK, and will never believe its safe to have an electrical outlet within 30cm of a sink even if its does have a breaker in circuit
Old Oct 12th 2007, 4:31 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

And yet you dont seem to hear about bathroom electrocutions.

I cant find any stats to make me think canadian standards are putting anyone at risk. Is there a lot of central air installed in the UK?
Old Oct 12th 2007, 4:33 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

If you do, it'll be my bathroom.
Old Oct 12th 2007, 4:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

I cant find any stats to make me think canadian standards are putting anyone at risk. Is there a lot of central air installed in the UK?

I just can't find any stats
Old Oct 12th 2007, 4:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Central heating is more common in the UK, heated water pumped through the house via radiators.
Old Oct 12th 2007, 4:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MikeUK
Well my recent experience is the Central air isolation switch catching fire, the metal link between the switch and terminal block was not a good fit and from what I can work out had come loose (possibly due to vibration form the compressor?? but not sure as its wall mounted) an arc must have started, when I dismantled the unit the whole metal connector had melted due to the arc and partially combusted the surrounding bakelite, I though it unusual until I went to buy a replacement, only to find that these $15 units are prone to some kind of failure
I never saw anything like this in all my experience in the UK

The wiring in my house (about 6 years old) would fail inspection in the UK, and will never believe its safe to have an electrical outlet within 30cm of a sink even if its does have a breaker in circuit

I sometimes feel I've gone through a time warp, it seems very much of a 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' society. I often see things that are just very old fashioned in design.

Even my wife has noticed things and that's saying something.
Old Oct 12th 2007, 4:47 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Like you say....

Maybe it aint broke, so why would you fix it?

Last edited by iaink; Oct 12th 2007 at 4:50 pm.
Old Oct 12th 2007, 4:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Like you say....

Maybe it aint broke, so why would you fix it?

We have people around here who do that to the extreme, mennonites their called

There's always room for improvement, further development or added features.
Old Oct 12th 2007, 5:02 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by PeterF
There's always room for improvement, further development or added features.
Shit. My missus is posting on here.
Old Oct 12th 2007, 5:50 pm
Journeyman Canadian

scimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by PeterF
The chunky european posts are safer, hence the banning of 'marettes' in the UK.
I totally agree, when I was an Electrician in the UK, a machine arrived from the states and we removed all the wire nuts (we thought someone twisted the wires with felt tip pen tops)!
Now in Canada, I use them all the time, they are awkward for testing purposes but they are 'quick' thats about the only advantage.

Darren
Electrician
Royal Canadian Mint

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.