Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

DANGER OF ELECTROCUSION

DANGER OF ELECTROCUSION

Old Oct 11th 2007, 6:44 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DANGER OF ELECTROCUSION

Originally Posted by PeterF

If my appliance had a small fault which caused the current to increase, as long as it stayed below the 15A it would remain on, this could be a problem if your appliance was fitted with a 1mm supply cable, the cable would overheat.
Isnt that rather the point of the internal low amp fuses inside many appliances (TVs, stereos etc)? You dont necessarily need an easy to access fuse on the outside.

But then I always did take "no user servicable parts inside" is a challenge rather than a warning.

Last edited by iaink; Oct 11th 2007 at 6:47 pm.
Old Oct 11th 2007, 6:52 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
There are? Oh shit.
indeed
Old Oct 11th 2007, 7:00 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iaink
They come with wings?

Comfy marrettes?
Old Oct 11th 2007, 7:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

PeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond repute

Isnt that rather the point of the internal low amp fuses inside many appliances (TVs, stereos etc)? You dont necessarily need an easy to access fuse on the outside.

But then I always did take "no user servicable parts inside" is a challenge rather than a warning.

Show me a lampstand with an internal low amp fuse
Old Oct 11th 2007, 7:10 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

They come with wings?

Comfy marrettes?
they enable you to play tennis and go rollerblading while rewiring your house, apparently.
Old Oct 11th 2007, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
they enable you to play tennis and go rollerblading while rewiring your house, apparently.
How about swimming?
Old Oct 11th 2007, 7:21 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Show me a lampstand with an internal low amp fuse
Its called a lightbulb
Old Oct 11th 2007, 7:22 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

How about swimming?
That too.
Old Oct 11th 2007, 7:24 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

I personally think that a fused plug significantly reduces the risk of fire due to damaged cables. Which in my limited experience is a real problem both here and in the UK, how many have cut a power cable with the power tool or burn an iron cable , or worn out the cable at the point it joins with a device.

In my opinion many safety standards in Canada are lower than that found in the UK, like many things in Canada people just accept it as the norm as they don’t know any better
I’m in the process of getting a new test device wired up to go in my Lab at work, some of the ‘legal’ suggestions from the maintenance company here would violate half the basic government safety rules I’d expect to find in the UK and shut my lab down….
So rather than legally install a potential death trap I’m getting the maintenance contractors in to re-do their proposal to something that won’t result in a risk of electrocution
Old Oct 11th 2007, 7:29 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by MikeUK

In my opinion many safety standards in Canada are lower than that found in the UK, like many things in Canada people just accept it as the norm as they don’t know any better
Please, find me ANY statistics that point to a higher incidence of death by electocution in canada/US vs the UK.

Canada is the ultimate nanny state, you can bet your last timbit that if it was really any safer, we would be made to do it differently.
Old Oct 11th 2007, 7:33 pm

Canada is the ultimate nanny state, you can bet your last timbit that if it was really any safer, we would be made to do it differently.
Is it? I have watched roofers working here. I cannot believe they would be able to work like that in the UK.
Old Oct 11th 2007, 7:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

PeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond repute

Its called a lightbulb
The light bulb will not detect a fault where the cable is cut and a high resistance route is present between live and neutral.

The cable can conduct even when the light is off and heat up, wasting energy, money and/or cause a fire.

The lampstand is just an example, most electrical goods will not have a fuse, whilst most electronic ones will.

Most will be cabled for the expected load, not for the expected back up MCB protection.
Old Oct 11th 2007, 7:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Please, find me ANY statistics that point to a higher incidence of death by electocution in canada/US vs the UK.

http://www.statemaster.com/graph/cri...-electrocution
[/URL]
Old Oct 11th 2007, 7:40 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Is it? I have watched roofers working here. I cannot believe they would be able to work like that in the UK.
Read some of the MoL citations for roofing accidents. Half million dollar fines are not at all uncommon. There are many many rules..perhaps so many that people ultimately ignore them.

Not just corporations paying fines either, managers, supervisors, humble employees paying $20k fines too.
Old Oct 11th 2007, 7:41 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

LOL Cant argue with that!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.