Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Customs duties help

Customs duties help

Old Jun 26th 2013, 3:26 am
Forum Regular

AJRowan has a brilliant futureAJRowan has a brilliant futureAJRowan has a brilliant futureAJRowan has a brilliant futureAJRowan has a brilliant futureAJRowan has a brilliant futureAJRowan has a brilliant future
Default Customs duties help

Hi, wonder if anyone can advise. I sent several parcels of my own personal goods to my new address in Canada, most arrived fine but two were opened and had customs duties of just over $400 imposed on them. Delivery company won't release till I pay charges but they are my own personal property (scuba diving equipment) that I have owned for about two years. The goods were opened at Toronto but I'm not sure what to do now, surely I shouldn't have to pay charges on my own goods and if not how do I get them lifted? Any thoughts would be welcome
Old Jun 26th 2013, 3:32 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Customs duties help

I moved your post to the main Canada forum as it isn't immigration related.

You may want to read this: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/po...roits-eng.html

A quick question though - were the items you were charged for listed on your 'goods to follow' list?
Old Jun 26th 2013, 3:43 am
Forum Regular

AJRowan has a brilliant futureAJRowan has a brilliant futureAJRowan has a brilliant futureAJRowan has a brilliant futureAJRowan has a brilliant futureAJRowan has a brilliant futureAJRowan has a brilliant future

Thanks,
Seems I have to ask Canada Post to return to customs for reassessment I think.
Old Jun 26th 2013, 3:45 am
Forum Regular

Didn't need a goods to follow list as we are here on a temporary work permit at the moment. According to cbsa and wiki the assumption is if we leave we take the goods with us. All other parcels were delivered no problem just the sports equipment ones that were held up and charged.
Old Jun 26th 2013, 4:35 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AJRowan
Didn't need a goods to follow list as we are here on a temporary work permit at the moment. According to cbsa and wiki the assumption is if we leave we take the goods with us. All other parcels were delivered no problem just the sports equipment ones that were held up and charged.
But you have applied for PNP haven't you so are you expecting to be here longer than a couple of years?

Whilst it may not be strictly required (unless your work permit is for a period of 3 years), if you are planning or anticipating being here permanently then you could have filled out a goods to follow list so that your belongings weren't assessed for duty.

According to the wiki: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Goods_To_Follow

So, even if you will be coming to Canada on a temporary work permit or study permit, you may want to take the precaution of creating lists of the goods you will be importing and jotting down the values of those goods in Canadian dollars, as new settlers (permanent residents) should do.

CBSA: This publication will be helpful if you are:
entering Canada with the intention of establishing, for the first time, a residence for a period of not less than 12 months; or
coming to Canada for temporary employment for a period of more than 36 months.
In either case, you can import your personal and household effects free of duty and taxes if you owned, possessed and used them before you arrived in Canada.

Have you got a shipment arriving from the UK or is it just odd bits and pieces you had in excess of luggage?
Old Jun 26th 2013, 4:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Now depending what was on the declaration form describing the goods or if a copy of the work permit was attached my super human powers and x ray vision cannot distinguish between personal effects or items that have been purchased
Old Jun 26th 2013, 5:35 am
Forum Regular

Lol, totally understand X Ray vision not being a requirement of the job! We did have the CN23 forms attached but you are right I shoul have perhaps specified the parts equipment was not new.
I am going along to the parcel collection depot tomorrow to see if they can send this E14 form back to customs with the parcel or
if I will have to pay the charge and then try and get reimbursed. I was hoping I could just phone customs and explain but can't seem to find the correct department.
Think all the travelling has turned me into a bimbo, will keep looking and see if we can save the parcel travelling back and forward to customs. It would be great if we could sort it out over the hone r by email.
Old Jun 26th 2013, 5:37 am
Forum Regular

Was only five boxes of personal stuff including sports equipment. Everything else arrived no prob
Old Jun 26th 2013, 6:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Lol, totally understand X Ray vision not being a requirement of the job! We did have the CN23 forms attached but you are right I shoul have perhaps specified the parts equipment was not new.
I am going along to the parcel collection depot tomorrow to see if they can send this E14 form back to customs with the parcel or
if I will have to pay the charge and then try and get reimbursed. I was hoping I could just phone customs and explain but can't seem to find the correct department.
Think all the travelling has turned me into a bimbo, will keep looking and see if we can save the parcel travelling back and forward to customs. It would be great if we could sort it out over the hone r by email.
Have the boxes sent back to Customs with a contact phone number. They should contact you or leave a fax number to send information to i.e copy of work permit etc. They usually issue a letter with contact info once they get the boxes back.
Old Jun 26th 2013, 7:34 am
Forum Regular

Thanks, appreciate the advice
Old Jun 27th 2013, 2:25 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't need a goods to follow list as we are here on a temporary work permit at the moment.
Doesn't alter the fact that you need to declare all your personal belongings on CBSA forms B4 and B4A when immigrating. You show that to CBSA on arrival, they sign off on it then you can claim the duty back at the local CBSA office.
Old Jun 27th 2013, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

yzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really nice

Originally Posted by Steve_
Doesn't alter the fact that you need to declare all your personal belongings on CBSA forms B4 and B4A when immigrating. You show that to CBSA on arrival, they sign off on it then you can claim the duty back at the local CBSA office.
That's exactly what I had to do with a couple of extra parcels which came through with UPS. Although I still got screwed by UPS's own tariff line fee so will be making sure that anything coming from the UK will never go by them again.
Old Jun 28th 2013, 12:40 am
Forum Regular

JasonTFord is a splendid one to beholdJasonTFord is a splendid one to beholdJasonTFord is a splendid one to beholdJasonTFord is a splendid one to beholdJasonTFord is a splendid one to beholdJasonTFord is a splendid one to beholdJasonTFord is a splendid one to beholdJasonTFord is a splendid one to beholdJasonTFord is a splendid one to beholdJasonTFord is a splendid one to beholdJasonTFord is a splendid one to behold

I will be coming to Canada at the end of July as a student. I am shipping 8 boxes of my personal possessions (to arrive after I do). I do not have the study visa to send to the shipping company prior to my leaving the UK. The actual visa will be issued at the point of entry. I do have the letter from CIC confirming my application to study has been approved and to show at point of entry. I will complete the form for goods to follow to show at point of entry. My question is - should I send the letter from the CIC to the shipping company for addition to the other forms I have to complete? I don't want to be stuck in a similar situation to the OP.
Old Jun 28th 2013, 12:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by JasonTFord
I will be coming to Canada at the end of July as a student. I am shipping 8 boxes of my personal possessions (to arrive after I do). I do not have the study visa to send to the shipping company prior to my leaving the UK. The actual visa will be issued at the point of entry. I do have the letter from CIC confirming my application to study has been approved and to show at point of entry. I will complete the form for goods to follow to show at point of entry. My question is - should I send the letter from the CIC to the shipping company for addition to the other forms I have to complete? I don't want to be stuck in a similar situation to the OP.
Make a copy of the letter CIC sent you and attach it with a list of goods to the outside of the box either in an envelope marked Canada Customs or in a see through plastic invoice holder which most shipping companies have.
Old Jun 28th 2013, 1:17 am
Forum Regular

JasonTFord is a splendid one to beholdJasonTFord is a splendid one to beholdJasonTFord is a splendid one to beholdJasonTFord is a splendid one to beholdJasonTFord is a splendid one to beholdJasonTFord is a splendid one to beholdJasonTFord is a splendid one to beholdJasonTFord is a splendid one to beholdJasonTFord is a splendid one to beholdJasonTFord is a splendid one to beholdJasonTFord is a splendid one to behold

Thanks Former Lancastrian. I have PMd you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.