Reload this Page >

Customs charges on furniture

Customs charges on furniture

Old Jun 21st 2011, 12:32 pm
Forum Regular

skippy2107 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Customs charges on furniture

I just obtained a quote through www.shipit.co.uk

We are only moving 3.5 cubic metres so the quote is cheap which is fine. However, it doesn't cover:

Destination costs such as terminal / port handling, customs / quarantine inspection, treatment and clearance charges, duty or tax, administration fees, storage, delivery to residence.

Other than delivery to residence (which I can arrange) any idea what the other costs will be? Thank you
Old Jun 21st 2011, 12:56 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Customs charges on furniture

Originally Posted by skippy2107
I just obtained a quote through www.shipit.co.uk

We are only moving 3.5 cubic metres so the quote is cheap which is fine. However, it doesn't cover:

Destination costs such as terminal / port handling, customs / quarantine inspection, treatment and clearance charges, duty or tax, administration fees, storage, delivery to residence.

Other than delivery to residence (which I can arrange) any idea what the other costs will be? Thank you
Presumably it will be "Goods to follow", so should not attract any tax at least.
Old Jun 21st 2011, 1:52 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

what you need to be aware of is that if for nay reason , customs decide to pull your shipment out for inspection then you could be liable for any costs incurred.

TBH this is true no matter who you use , its always a gamble
Old Jun 21st 2011, 2:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

rich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to all

Also be prepared for an unloading charge if you are not able to take it immediately it lands.
Old Jun 21st 2011, 2:27 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

How much are these various charges?
Old Jun 21st 2011, 4:26 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Personal effects are generally tax-free, there are some exceptions though, iirc it must be something that has been in your possession for at least a year although I have no idea how they enforce that. (I'm sure I had some stuff that I'd had for less than that but no-one noticed).

The main exceptions though are alcohol, tobacco and vehicles valued over $10,000. So if you have a wine cellar you're bringing over you might want to check with CBSA. Otherwise just list everything on CBSA forms B4 and B4A, and I do mean everything. It doesn't matter if you end up not importing it, but if it's not listed, then you may have a problem. The values you should list on the form are the values today, not what you paid for it (although frankly it's largely academic as there is no tax anyway).

Basically how it works is you present those forms to CBSA at the POE, they sign off on them and check off anything in your luggage. Then you go to the CBSA office that your shipper uses when your stuff arrives, and CBSA match the manifest with the B4 and check off everything on the manifest, then they release the goods for delivery by your shipper (or you can pick them up if they're not being delivered).

One point that I would make that is not immediately obvious - if you arrive during the winter the containers are stacked outside, so if you have anything sensitive to cold weather (such as liquids) make sure they are packed appropriately because there is a real chance it may get below freezing inside the container.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 4:11 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Steve_
Personal effects are generally tax-free, there are some exceptions though, iirc it must be something that has been in your possession for at least a year although I have no idea how they enforce that. (I'm sure I had some stuff that I'd had for less than that but no-one noticed).

The main exceptions though are alcohol, tobacco and vehicles valued over $10,000. So if you have a wine cellar you're bringing over you might want to check with CBSA. Otherwise just list everything on CBSA forms B4 and B4A, and I do mean everything. It doesn't matter if you end up not importing it, but if it's not listed, then you may have a problem. The values you should list on the form are the values today, not what you paid for it (although frankly it's largely academic as there is no tax anyway).

Basically how it works is you present those forms to CBSA at the POE, they sign off on them and check off anything in your luggage. Then you go to the CBSA office that your shipper uses when your stuff arrives, and CBSA match the manifest with the B4 and check off everything on the manifest, then they release the goods for delivery by your shipper (or you can pick them up if they're not being delivered).

One point that I would make that is not immediately obvious - if you arrive during the winter the containers are stacked outside, so if you have anything sensitive to cold weather (such as liquids) make sure they are packed appropriately because there is a real chance it may get below freezing inside the container.
Actually the $10K limit only applies to returning residents.