Customs

Old Apr 12th 2016, 1:49 am
Forum Regular

Muskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond repute
Default Customs

Hi there
Just in the throes of shipping my personal effects from UK to Canada via Toronto - FCL........Just today received an email from the Canadian receiving agents advising when my container arrives, I have to attend in person Canadian Customs........? I specifically queried this with my UK shipping co who said I wouldn't have to attend.

I declared my goods when I entered Canada and Customs stamped the inventory list.

Can anyone please verify if attending in person once good arrive is normal practise??? I have absolutely NO IDEA where I have to attend customs or when for that matter, and I live somewhat out in the boonies. Not happy if I have to travel to the city.

Thanks soooooooo much in advance
Old Apr 12th 2016, 3:16 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Customs

Originally Posted by Muskoka
Hi there
Just in the throes of shipping my personal effects from UK to Canada via Toronto - FCL........Just today received an email from the Canadian receiving agents advising when my container arrives, I have to attend in person Canadian Customs........? I specifically queried this with my UK shipping co who said I wouldn't have to attend.

I declared my goods when I entered Canada and Customs stamped the inventory list.

Can anyone please verify if attending in person once good arrive is normal practise??? I have absolutely NO IDEA where I have to attend customs or when for that matter, and I live somewhat out in the boonies. Not happy if I have to travel to the city.

Thanks soooooooo much in advance
I attended but I believe you can give the shipping/receiving broker/agent a copy of your stamped Goods to Follow list (make sure to keep a scanned copy for yourself), together with any shipping documentation you have and they can action it on your behalf... but I would hold off for others opinions before sending it! You do need to be in Canada before it arrives though, I believe. Thinking back, I did have to sign a declaration that I had no other goods coming and I would not dispose of anything for 12 months.. so I'm not 100% sure about it.

Last edited by Siouxie; Apr 12th 2016 at 3:19 am.
Old Apr 12th 2016, 5:31 am
BE Enthusiast

evets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond repute

This is what I was sent from the company handling my shipping.

Customs Clearance in Canada
By Canadian law, you must be personally present for your appointment with Canada Customs. Clearing your shipment is typically a simple procedure which usually takes 20-30 minutes once you are with the CBSA officer. Your customs clearance appointment can only occur once the driver has formally crossed the border and your shipment is in Canada at the destination city. Either your move coordinator or the driver will contact you immediately to proceed with clearance. Your customs appointment will take place at the nearest customs office to your destination.
On the day of the appointment, please ensure to bring your passport and all documents that will support your status in the country for yourself and accompanying family members.
Old Apr 12th 2016, 5:51 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, I found this: http://www.mover.net/movers1/events/...racyJarvis.pdf (official pdf from CBSA)

It would appear that you can appoint a Customs broker or authorise someone to attend on your behalf.

Your shipping agent cannot do it.

HTH

(BSF186 is an alternative form number for a B4E)
Attached Thumbnails Customs-importation.jpg  

Last edited by Siouxie; Apr 12th 2016 at 5:54 am.
Old Apr 12th 2016, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

Muskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond repute

Ok Great. Thanks. No choice but to step into civilisation for a day then. Many Thanks
Old Apr 12th 2016, 2:17 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone can represent you at customs, even the shipper (but I doubt they will). You complete a limited power of attorney form in favour of your representative, that is all they need.

Customs Brokers do this all the time, that is their job, but they charge for it. Couriers, such as FedEx, UPS etc. do clearances, they also need a POA to do this. Without a POA, you have to do it yourself.
Old Apr 12th 2016, 3:22 pm
Forum Regular

enak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond repute

In 2014, my shipper initially claimed that I would have to attend. I sent them a stamped goods-to-follow list (a long detailed list!), and in fact I didn't have to attend.
Old Apr 12th 2016, 4:36 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Muskoka
Ok Great. Thanks. No choice but to step into civilisation for a day then. Many Thanks
Did you actually read the pdf screenshot or link I gave? It specifically states that under legislation you can

a) Go yourself
b) Appoint a Customs Broker
c) Ask anyone else to do it.

Old Apr 12th 2016, 11:55 pm
Forum Regular

Yes I did read your link thank you but I'd either be paying a customs broker, or asking a friend. Thanks so much.
Old Apr 13th 2016, 4:26 am
Banned

Fair enough

It might be worth asking your shippers if they can arrange for delivery to the nearest customs clearance office to you - you can find a map here:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/do-rb/ser...-entr-eng.html and here
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/do-rb/ser...rieur-eng.html

Last edited by Siouxie; Apr 13th 2016 at 4:35 am.
Old Apr 27th 2016, 3:09 pm
Forum Regular

rdashmore is an unknown quantity at this point

As a custom broker, we avoid personal entries because the customs officers prefer it be done in person by the individual. Also, the handling fees make most people balk at the idea of hiring a custom broker for a personal entry. We always suggest you make the trip to the correct customs office location with the manifest, packing list, and identification, obtain the stamped clearance. If its a full container, the rail yard will see the clearance electronically, if its an LCL Ocean or Air shipment, the original manifest with the customs clearance stamp must be presented to the bonded warehouse where the goods have arrived. For Toronto arrivals, its fun to take kids because the Customs office is on Britannia Road inside the airport infield, you can do some plane spotting at the same time. Welcome to Canada!