Curiosity

Old Sep 5th 2004, 1:40 pm
squarepants

Default Re: Curiosity

There is a story in there somewhere I bet

Originally Posted by iaink
Now theres a mental image, nuns and girls hockey.....

Iain

Old Sep 5th 2004, 1:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation
Talking Re: Curiosity

Originally Posted by squarepants
There is a story in there somewhere I bet
Of course, but it's far to deep and complicated for "guys" to even begin to understand!!!!!
Old Sep 5th 2004, 1:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Talking Re: Curiosity

Originally Posted by squarepants
I played field hockey in school, and I went to a missionary school too. I still have my old hockey stick actually, and yes I know what its like to be hit with the stick, and also paid back the compliments
As young ladies ....we were never allowed to return the compliment...with "the eyes" always on us to behave like ladies....so the only retaliation we could get was after hours, i.e., syrup or jam in their hair shampoo, hiding their hair dryer, soaking their bed......you get the idea.

ps- being hit by a stick is no way as bad as a ball - believe me I've had both experiences!!!
Old Sep 5th 2004, 8:47 pm
Invisi... K

ksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by willmore
ps- being hit by a stick is no way as bad as a ball - believe me I've had both experiences!!!

in my school day experiences... both hurt like hell! i remember getting whacked across my cheek with a cross-shot hockey stick, the flaring pain and the trip to casulty in case it was fractured (thankfully it wasn't, but got a huge bruise that moved out to cover my entire right face!)... and also as a defender, i've been whacked in the mid-drift by a flying hockey ball... doubled me over, winded for a while... luckily i wasn't all muscle and the fat must have absorbed some of it!... but that too was sure painful!... then again also have tried to remove my knuckles playing on an "astro-turf" which really was just tarmac with some loose sand on top... was able to see my knuckle bones i think!
Old Sep 5th 2004, 10:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, now I know who gave me that karma. Thanks Rhodes!

FWIW my actual name is Toon. That's the dutch version of the british name Tony. And since I'm only 1.94 m tall, some people call me Toontje, meaning Little Toon.
Old Sep 5th 2004, 10:23 pm
Invisi... K

ksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Toontje

FWIW my actual name is Toon. That's the dutch version of the british name Tony. And since I'm only 1.94 m tall, some people call me Toontje, meaning Little Toon.
1.94m little??? i'm hoping there's sarcasm here...
Old Sep 5th 2004, 10:31 pm
Once bemused

Rhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really nice

Niets te zeggen...

Old Sep 5th 2004, 10:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rhodes
Niets te zeggen...
I guess you mean: Niets te danken (You're welcome). But I won't criticize you dutch. I know my english isn't without errors so I can hardly expect any foreigner to speak proper dutch, can I? I appreciate your efforts and will understand what you mean.
Where did you pick up your dutch?
Old Sep 5th 2004, 10:57 pm
Once bemused

Rhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really nice

I guess you mean: Niets te danken (You're welcome). But I won't criticize you dutch. I know my english isn't without errors so I can hardly expect any foreigner to speak proper dutch, can I? I appreciate your efforts and will understand what you mean.
Where did you pick up your dutch?
Glad it wasn't, erm, nietszeggend. But I am embarrrassed that I got that wrong. I was convinced it was right! Ik heb het meestal vergeten.

I taught myself a little Dutch many years ago after I met some Dutch people in France. We used to correspond in English, and I thought it would be fun to try to write to them in Dutch.m But then I visited the Netherlands and was unable to contact the beautiful Ingrid, who suggested that I might 'naar de pomp lopen'. I gathered that she didn't mean that she was thirsty!
Old Sep 5th 2004, 11:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

No, she didn't!

I think it's funny when people want to learn dutch. I mean, dutch is definitely not one of the major languages in the world, a rough estimate: only spoken by some 25 million people (17m in Holland, 7m in Belgium and 1m in the rest of the world, I guess). And dutch seems to be a very, very difficult and complicated language to learn.

I think people should be encouraged to speak more than one language. While travelling through Europe I had great advantages speaking the languages of the natives. Most people in the big countries like France, Germany and Spain only speak their own language, so communication with them would have been difficult if I couldn't speak theirs. FYI I can speak dutch, english, german, french, some spanish and a little bit of italian and portugese.
Old Sep 6th 2004, 1:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by willmore
I love your name, but especially the picture of the dog.....
This dog, Amber, is one of the three I used to own. My ex and I, we had three golden retrievers and this one was more attached to me than the others two. When we split up we decided that she kept the dogs 'cause I'm not able to see after them, working 12 - 13 hrs a day.
BTW Amber is the one to the right.
Attached Thumbnails Curiosity-kyraamberzoe.jpg  
Old Sep 6th 2004, 4:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

This dog, Amber, is one of the three I used to own. My ex and I, we had three golden retrievers and this one was more attached to me than the others two. When we split up we decided that she kept the dogs 'cause I'm not able to see after them, working 12 - 13 hrs a day.
BTW Amber is the one to the right.
Beautiful dogs - we (believe it or no) also have a golden retriever - main reason we bought it with 2 small kids - is how gentle they are - they play really well and the kids can do almost anything (well, within reason of course) and the dog is wagging his tail asking for more fun with them!!!!!
Old Sep 6th 2004, 5:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Smokey is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by iaink
Would that be hockey Smokey or field hockey Spent a few enjoyable weeks over the years playing non ice hockey in Holland, lots of Jegermeister and those tiny beers!

Lack of field hockey near me in Canada is a major contributing factor to my increasing winter comfort level as discussed in another thread.

Iain

Toontje...now Im curious too, what was the point of this thread? a names a name thats all. Dont make me make my wife translate, shes a second gen dutch canadain. Doesnt really speak the language though, but can read a bit.
That would be field hockey and as I played for Sunbury who seem to be more world famous for their touring abilities than anything else, I slotted right in. Sadly didn't make it when I tried out for Middlesex but then a couple of girls in our team got chosen on the same day...hot competition. We visited Belgium, Holland, Guernsey, Isle of Man, Dublin and I can't remember all those British Tourneys over the years. Holland was our most popular one though over the August Bank Holiday and it was always steamingly hot (unlike here grr..). Oss was the most frequent but we alse visited Nijmegen....did I spell that right?, 'den-Bosche, Utrecht, Apeldorn and Eindhoven. Only visited Amsterdam once for one day, didn't DO any drugs...just for the record, never have.
At the time, what stopped me was the price of property and a complete inability to speak anything other than please and thank you whilst sober

Prost