Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Cultural diversity in small town Alberta

Cultural diversity in small town Alberta

Old Mar 26th 2008, 4:07 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cultural diversity in small town Alberta

Obviously because it's a post by me this is not a long winded statement about the what whys and wherefores of the title more so an observation and how we as a group of friends here in Drumheller relate to each other.

We are all people, all nice (hopefully!) all friendly and all like to have fun!

But this made me laugh and is how we all relate to each other, there is a pet Indian (because he is), a pet cowboy (because he wears the boots and a big chuncky buckle), a pet redneck (speaks for itself), a pet eskimo (because she is) Mr MMC and I that are the pet immigrants (obvious one really) and there are a couple of others whom our group of friends haven't thought of titles for!

Some may find it derogatory, but it isn't we are who we are! so when the phone rings and its normally pet redneck, asking if we wanna go out somewhere, we'll agree and ask who else is coming, the answer will be something like "my pet cowboy definately, but I need to call my pet indian to see"

Theres a big diverse range of people and cultures just in our little group, we accept what and who we are and embrace it I suppose by taking the p**s out of ourselves for it - shouldn't that be how it is
Old Mar 26th 2008, 4:17 pm
Forum Regular

mikey9863 is a name known to allmikey9863 is a name known to allmikey9863 is a name known to allmikey9863 is a name known to allmikey9863 is a name known to allmikey9863 is a name known to allmikey9863 is a name known to allmikey9863 is a name known to allmikey9863 is a name known to allmikey9863 is a name known to allmikey9863 is a name known to all
Default Re: Cultural diversity in small town Alberta

I like your style.

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
Obviously because it's a post by me this is not a long winded statement about the what whys and wherefores of the title more so an observation and how we as a group of friends here in Drumheller relate to each other.

But this made me laugh and is how we all relate to each other, there is a pet Indian (because he is), a pet cowboy (because he wears the boots and a big chuncky buckle), a pet redneck (speaks for itself), a pet eskimo (because she is) Mr MMC and I that are the pet immigrants (obvious one really) and there are a couple of others whom our group of friends haven't thought of titles for!

Some may find it derogatory, but it isn't we are who we are! so when the phone rings and its normally pet redneck, asking if we wanna go out somewhere, we'll agree and ask who else is coming, the answer will be something like "my pet cowboy definately, but I need to call my pet indian to see"

Theres a big diverse range of people and cultures just in our little group, we accept what and who we are and embrace it I suppose by taking the p**s out of ourselves for it - shouldn't that be how it is
Old Mar 26th 2008, 4:31 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Of course. And it just shows that there is nothing inherently offensive about words or names. It is the way they are used that can give offense.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 4:36 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

But this made me laugh and is how we all relate to each other
A heartwarming account, MMC, and one of the things I like best about Canada.
x
Old Mar 26th 2008, 4:37 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Of course. And it just shows that there is nothing inherently offensive about words or names. It is the way they are used that can give offense.
Thats exactly it, in this instance they are used as terms of endearment if you like - so I suppose it isn't what you say - more how you say it.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 6:56 pm
GO FLAMES GO!!!!

Steve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to behold

I know exactly what you mean! In our cirlce of friends we have a guy of Malaysian decent who was raised in Alberta and has embraced the cowboy culture. He is nearly always seen in his jeans, Wrangler shirts, huge JD belt buckle and boots and is affectionately know to us all as "the Asian Cowboy" because he is Asian and a cowboy (some times he even does saddle bronc riding!) No offence is taken and the guy laughs and says things like "yep the only one in Calgary!"
I am often referred to as "European" or "The Brit" and get asked jokingly if I could invite the Queen over for a visit! I love it, we are all ourselves and no-one takes offence (apart from me at the European thing so I get them back by calling them Yanks!)
Old Mar 26th 2008, 10:19 pm
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

In our Office we have just about someone from each continent.

I'm "The Brit" (They didn't used to call me that till they found out my wife was "The Raging Brit")

One of our Indian lads calls himself "the Paki" (I've had so many years of being told thats offensive that I'm quite shocked when he calls himself that).

The Jews are always cracking Jewish Jokes.

and so it goes.......
Old Mar 27th 2008, 1:06 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Many years ago, I worked in a sushi bar and got the nickname 'Token' - regular customers thought it was my Japanese name... it was really shortened from 'the token white chick'.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 2:33 am
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MB-Realtor

One of our Indian lads calls himself "the Paki" (I've had so many years of being told thats offensive that I'm quite shocked when he calls himself that).

and so it goes.......
The problem. as I see it. is that we live in an era of sickening political correctness.

Myself I do not object in the least to being called a 'limey'. But I daresay that there must be a few at this forum who would squirm at the thought.

There is also a disconnect with the 'N' word which, I trust, most here would find offensive. And yet Rap 'artists' (for lack of a better word) unhesitatingly use that very term in their 'lyrics' (again for lack of a better word).

And my final pet peeve: Women who take offence at being called 'dear' by men because, in their world, they consider it patronizing.

As was already pointed out it is not the term per se but rather how it is used. In other words the intent.

It just goes to show that one can't please everybody.

So why bother?
Old Mar 27th 2008, 2:39 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by montreal mike
There is also a disconnect with the 'N' word which, I trust, most here would find offensive. And yet Rap 'artists' (for lack of a better word) unhesitatingly use that very term in their 'lyrics' (again for lack of a better word).
Well honkey bro, go take a walk down to the 'hood and use the N-word.

They all be loving the N-word especially from yo cracker.

R.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 2:45 am
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rich_007

R.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 2:48 am
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rich_007

R.
Stop this nonsense Richard, you won't get a girlfriend you know. No marriage, no children. What will come of you. Why you'll end up a hippy in some foreign island in the empire, god help you.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 3:02 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve666
Stop this nonsense Richard, you won't get a girlfriend you know. No marriage, no children. What will come of you. Why you'll end up a hippy in some foreign island in the empire, god help you.
A faux-hippy, allegedly.

And I don't need a girlfriend; a wife of many years is enough to handle. Keep life simple

R.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 10:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Caitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond repute

I regularly label myself a cloggie....or in one company we had a list called 'cheesyheads' for the dutch...

its all in good fun and basically a name is what you make it. I had a nickname as a scout leader which translates into english as 'Sweetheart'. Now, imagine 40 girls of 7-11 and 5 other leaders calling you that...but they were a lovely bunch and I wouldn't have traded them or the name for the world.

Its like a guy I had on the phone for a support case. In Ireland they occasionally use hte phrase 'wee' for little, same as the northern irish and scots..I had a scotsman on the phone and told him 'Oh, thats just a wee little problem, we'll have that sorted in a jiffy' as it was literally five minutes work. He went off how I was mocking his accent, until I had to turn around and say, no, actually wee little is used over here as well, and its a normal turn of phrase and I would definitely not mock a customers accent! Oh and by the way, the issue is now resolved.

i mean really!

Deb

The problem. as I see it. is that we live in an era of sickening political correctness.

Myself I do not object in the least to being called a 'limey'. But I daresay that there must be a few at this forum who would squirm at the thought.

And my final pet peeve: Women who take offence at being called 'dear' by men because, in their world, they consider it patronizing.

As was already pointed out it is not the term per se but rather how it is used. In other words the intent.

So why bother?
Old Mar 27th 2008, 11:28 am
BE Enthusiast

G586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond repute

So why bother?
Also the tone....maybe you are sounding patronizing?

I don't mind being called, dear, love, duck, pal, wifey (wifey and pal are new as I'm now in Scotland).....I tend to object when it is followed by "you ladies, getting to sit round all day drinking coffee...." which someone did actually say to me!

As a surveyor, I'm always referred to as "girl", I'm not sure if I called the blokes, "boys" they would be that happy?!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.