Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

A Cry For Help

A Cry For Help

Old Aug 15th 2004, 2:14 pm
Furry Australian

indref is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation A Cry For Help

G'day. My name is Indref Ashen, but you can all call me Indy.

I'm currently in Sydney, Australia. I've been happily hanging out at the habour, eating vegemite and hating the Australian government for the last 19 years.

Suddenly this Canadian woman stumbles into my life, we fall in love, I make the gung ho decision to leave my country for hers, and now the trouble starts.

I'm 19 years old. I'll be 20 next April and by then I want to be in Canada. I have about $5000, a job I am planning to quit so I can move, and very few possessions. My resume is empty but for one three week job, and my current job [which, I must admit, is quite impressive]. I finished my HSC last year, and I gained a position for a small and simple course at Wollongong Uni, which I deferred till March 2005 and am willing to drop altogether.

I have visited the Canadian Consulate in Sydney, only to walk away confused three times. I don't want to marry my girl yet, I'm just not ready. And I don't want to wait around for 18 months while the various governments pissfart around until they could be bothered to let us be together.

So far, neither of us have been in each others countries. She will be here on the 6th September for a month. After that she goes back to her freezing country and I cook here alone.

I am posting here for one thing and one thing only: help. I've been confused, I've been ridiculed and I've been palmed off. I swear, if I don't get a solid answer soon my heart is going to split right down the middle. I've been told that this forum is helpful by a british friend of mine. I don't want to have to tell him it's been otherwise. If anyone can offer advice as to what the yiff I should do, please please please tell me!

I may not reply straight away, but I will return to this forum as often as I am able to.

[As a side note, I copied this straight from the Lounge, people told me to.]
Old Aug 15th 2004, 4:07 pm
Forum Regular

Spongebob has a spectacular aura aboutSpongebob has a spectacular aura aboutSpongebob has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: A Cry For Help

Originally Posted by indref
G'day. My name is Indref Ashen, but you can all call me Indy.

I'm currently in Sydney, Australia. I've been happily hanging out at the habour, eating vegemite and hating the Australian government for the last 19 years.

Suddenly this Canadian woman stumbles into my life, we fall in love, I make the gung ho decision to leave my country for hers, and now the trouble starts.

I'm 19 years old. I'll be 20 next April and by then I want to be in Canada. I have about $5000, a job I am planning to quit so I can move, and very few possessions. My resume is empty but for one three week job, and my current job [which, I must admit, is quite impressive]. I finished my HSC last year, and I gained a position for a small and simple course at Wollongong Uni, which I deferred till March 2005 and am willing to drop altogether.

I have visited the Canadian Consulate in Sydney, only to walk away confused three times. I don't want to marry my girl yet, I'm just not ready. And I don't want to wait around for 18 months while the various governments pissfart around until they could be bothered to let us be together.

So far, neither of us have been in each others countries. She will be here on the 6th September for a month. After that she goes back to her freezing country and I cook here alone.

I am posting here for one thing and one thing only: help. I've been confused, I've been ridiculed and I've been palmed off. I swear, if I don't get a solid answer soon my heart is going to split right down the middle. I've been told that this forum is helpful by a british friend of mine. I don't want to have to tell him it's been otherwise. If anyone can offer advice as to what the yiff I should do, please please please tell me!

I may not reply straight away, but I will return to this forum as often as I am able to.

[As a side note, I copied this straight from the Lounge, people told me to.]
You will get a better response if you post it in the canadian immigration forum

http://www.britishexpats.com/forum/f...splay.php?f=33

I am sure someone will have an answer for you there since there are a couple of immigration consultants who answer questions regularly on that board.
Old Aug 15th 2004, 5:09 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

First thing to do is go to www.cic.gc.ca and read up on the options and rules for spousal sponsorship or conjugal partners. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/sponsor/index.html

As I see it right now you have no chance, you are not living together or married, and by the sound of it have spent very little time together. You do not have a college degree either, or suitable work experience to qualify as an independent skilled worker without sponsorship.

If you want to spend more time together you can visit canada for 6 months, but could not work (doenst sound like you work anyway) IF you want to work, find out about the Australian equivalent of BUNAC program for students to spend a year or so working in canada. It may be your best option until you commit to a relationship that stands a chance of surviving cic scrutiny.

Iain

Last edited by iaink; Aug 16th 2004 at 4:55 pm.
Old Aug 15th 2004, 5:50 pm
Forum Regular

Stupid guy is an unknown quantity at this point

Why do you hate the Aussie Govt.... Sounds like you piss fart more than anyone aint ???
Old Aug 15th 2004, 7:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

I am a bit confused, but from what you say about how neither of you have been in one another's country - then you have not met in person yet. When she comes to Australia for a month, I take it that will be the first time you meet - is that right?

Then I would say the same as the others, go to the CIC website and see if you qualify. It doesn't sound like you have many job qualifications. You have to live together for a year, I think, before you would qualify even as common law, so it doesn't sound very hopeful to me.
Old Aug 16th 2004, 3:34 am
Furry Australian

indref is an unknown quantity at this point

I am in love with this girl. Please don't change the subject.

I have worked for six months as a Complex Billing Operations Officer for Telstra Bigpond.

And I plan to somehow visit Canada for two years and live with Ever [the girl in question] for that long before we actually get married [although I'd like to get engadged soon].

And I have to post in another forum now?!
Old Aug 16th 2004, 11:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I think you do!

This forum is about "lifestyle and culture", you should go to the "immigration" forum: http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33
Old Aug 16th 2004, 1:08 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I am in love with this girl. Please don't change the subject.

I have worked for six months as a Complex Billing Operations Officer for Telstra Bigpond.

And I plan to somehow visit Canada for two years and live with Ever [the girl in question] for that long before we actually get married [although I'd like to get engadged soon].

You can post in as many forums as you like, but it isnt goint to change the immigration rules. Until you have a real and lasting relationship with this girl you have no chance of getting a spousal visa, and with your current "I WILL LIVE WITH HER" attitude you will be lucky to convince an immigration official to issue even a visitors visa, as you come over here as extremely likely to do a bunk and overstay. What would it take for her to move to Australia? Is this really about being with her, or is it about getting away from Oz, which you dont seem to like very much?

Iain
Old Aug 16th 2004, 1:39 pm
Forum Regular

prodigyking will become famous soon enough

Dude,

Listen to me. Forget this girl right NOW. Forget that she ever existed, and forget about Canada! At twenty years old you don't know what love is, and sure as hell don't know what you want from life. (You sound confused anyhow)

So instead of making a huge mistake, and moving halfway around the world, just get your life together where you are. I am sure there are lots of beautiful girls where you live. Sure, this one may be paying some attention to you, but it's not worth this big move in your life.

I hope you think about these words!
Old Aug 16th 2004, 3:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

Obviously you are correct. He isn't being reasonable. I know someone who went to Chile - met a guy and decided they would get married. She lived in Chile for 18 months and then some relatives, in their infinite wisdom, told them the best way for the guy to get to come to Canada was to get a visitor's visa and then they could get married in Canada. So off they went with their suitcases packed to Santiago to get the visitor's visa for him.

But, of course, the immigration people in Santiago were not born yesterday. Neither are the Canadian immigration people in Sydney!

The Canadian immigration people told him that he did not own property in Chile etc. etc. that he had nothing to return to Chile for and that they thought that once he got to Canada he would try to stay there illegally - which was true!!

So they turned down even his visitor's visa - which is likely what will happen to you!
Old Aug 16th 2004, 8:43 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Watched a guy in the London embassy get his vistor visa turned down for exactly the reasons you want to be there....

Quick answer.... Grow up and move on.....