Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

crossing the US/Canadian border and which hire car company to use?

crossing the US/Canadian border and which hire car company to use?

Old Jan 14th 2009, 8:48 pm
Forum Regular

englishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really nice
Default crossing the US/Canadian border and which hire car company to use?

Hi All
Just wondered what crossing the boarder from US into Canada and back again was like. Will i get grilled by us/canada customs? do I need to fill any paperwork ect..? Going to fly into boston, drivr up to new brunswick and drive back a few days later.

Do hire car companies charge any extra for this and would it be an idea to rent a 4x4 or do they fit with snow tyres this time of year?

Thanx All
Old Jan 14th 2009, 10:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: crossing the US/Canadian border and which hire car company to use?

A lot of Canadian hire companies won't do it (insurance) but friends of ours used Alamo.... they will do it. The car they were given had NY plates so they managed to get a discount as they were "redelivering"!
Old Jan 15th 2009, 10:08 am
Lovin it!

manningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to all

I used yescarhire.com - They said it wasn't a problem crossing the border with a car I hired from YYZ. I crossed via the Ambassador Bridge in Windsor entering Detroit.

It took a while though as you have to fill in those green slips you usually fill in on the plane and get your passports stamped... took around 30mins with all the waiting to be processed oh and having to pay a fee to enter the states Then once your through you will probably have a toll charge to pay too
Old Jan 15th 2009, 1:09 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geedee
A lot of Canadian hire companies won't do it (insurance) but friends of ours used Alamo.... they will do it. The car they were given had NY plates so they managed to get a discount as they were "redelivering"!
really? I've never had a problem renting from Canada and driving into the US, although to be fair I've only done that (through Avis and Enterprise) from YVR for business trips to areas round Seattle.

But the OP's question was the other way round: Boston -> NB -> Boston. I doubt any US mainstream rental company at Logan would have a problem with that. The only potential issue is in insurance, and in the majority of cases, from the perspective of an insurance company, crossing the Canadian border is no different to crossing a State line. But I'd ask the specific question before confirming a booking, just in case.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 2:50 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Since you are going US to Canada to US, you will be renting a car in the US and not in CA. You shouldn't have a problem with the rental companies but be sure to let them know where you are planning on traveling and the approximate number of miles and get a plan that will give you the best rates for the high mileage. We've done the NYC to NB down to NS route once and that was once too often for me. A long and tedious and very boring trip in NB if you are taking the highway.

We crossed from the US into NB at a Maine Crossing and it took us only about 10 minutes. But then we are an Can/Am couple. The inspection was full and just about every car had been asked to pull over for inspection. We were fully inspected at the Maine, Calais POE on the return trip.

It will cost you $6.00 for each I-94 in your passport so if you are two people that would be $12.00.
Old Jan 17th 2009, 12:11 am
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
really? I've never had a problem renting from Canada and driving into the US, although to be fair I've only done that (through Avis and Enterprise) from YVR for business trips to areas round Seattle.

But the OP's question was the other way round: Boston -> NB -> Boston. I doubt any US mainstream rental company at Logan would have a problem with that. The only potential issue is in insurance, and in the majority of cases, from the perspective of an insurance company, crossing the Canadian border is no different to crossing a State line. But I'd ask the specific question before confirming a booking, just in case.
You're quite right.... the experience I'm referring to was for a one-way rental. They wanted to drop the car at a US airport. That probably makes a big difference!